PDA

View Full Version : Vasque Breeze

jmcdonou
05-11-2007, 12:55
Has anyone thruhiked in the Vasque Breeze? I am planning a SB this Summer and was wondering how many pairs to break in.

I bought 6 just as back up, they are the most comfortable pair I've worn and they seemed to be running out of size 13 everywhere I looked.

I'm thinking I'll need 4 total.

attroll
05-11-2007, 12:57
That is the boot I am looking at right now also. I was about to ask the same question. So now I am waiting patiently also for some responses.

jmcdonou
05-11-2007, 12:59
I've put 100 miles on my first pair without a single problem. I'm breaking in my 2nd pair with about 30 miles and they are hands down my favorite boot. I know there are alot of older hikers who have tried many other models but I hope these stick around

dixicritter
05-11-2007, 13:18
I just bought a pair of the women's breeze (not for a thru though). Glad to hear someone really likes theirs.

rafe
05-11-2007, 14:23
They're very comfy, but wet. I've got about 150 miles on mine, and there's some slight delamination showing. Probably not the most rugged shoes out there...

McPick
05-19-2007, 18:37
Sorry to be a little late with this reply...

I was intrigued with the Vasque Breeze boots prior to starting my AT hike (April, '06) too, but opted for another Vasque product… A hiking shoe, which had no ankle support. Although I believed I had fairly strong ankles, I soon became concerned about the endless turning and twisting my ankles endured and decided to purchase a pair of boots with higher ankle support. At my first opportunity I called the very helpful people at Vasque to discuss the Breeze.

After some discussion, the rep told me that the Breeze is not intended to be a heavyweight, expedition boot. It’s more intended for lightweight backpacking. The rep said I’d be lucky to get 1000 miles out of them on the AT, especially knowing I was headed for PA… (Good thing I like to dance because you all know PA rocks!)

I picked up my new Vasque Breeze boots in Daleville, VA. (no Gore-Tex) and hiked them to Manchester Center, Vt. Sadly, the Vasque rep was correct. My Breeze boots were done for... 922 trail miles and not a blister.

I purchased a pair of heavier duty boots to finish the hike. Although, had it been earlier in the season, I may have considered a second pair of the Breeze for New England.

My only complaint about the boot (other than why not put heavier duty soles on the boot, Vasque?) occurred when I stepped forward with my right foot, breaking a short stick in half. The back part of the stick was very sharp and came up off the ground about two inches and moved slightly to the left. As I strode forward, I stabbed that f%^*$*g stick through the boot’s netting directly into my left big toe, which was already injured from another accident (not related to the boot). Let me tell you that I let out a blast of profanity (akin to 'heck', 'darn', 'shoot', and the like) that I’m sure was heard for miles… So much so that I apologized to the very next SOBO who passed me about 2 minutes later!

I loved my Breeze boots, especially during the hottest part of the summer, when the temps were well into the 90s and over 100 degrees (July and August) and would certainly recommend them, understanding their limitations.

Jim Adams
05-20-2007, 01:26
been using the breeze for my pct thru. 454 miles up the trail and they still look new. GREAT desert boot and supposedly will dry fast after stream fords in the sierra. probably real wet though for the AT.
geek