PDA

View Full Version : running shoe question

Freeleo
05-11-2007, 16:18
which brand of running shoes would you suggest.....i want to buy a pair tonight and thought i would check in here for some feedback

i have had planter fasiitus in the past but stretch alot now so it hasnt been to big an issue lately

i dont want to spend over 80-100 dollars

any feedback in the next two hours might help me in my decision

thanks for your time

jeff

Johnny Thunder
05-11-2007, 16:52
I've been using a pair of Nike Free Trail shoes...these are the ones that Reebok is suing over patent infringement. They look dinky and unsupportive but they're the only running shoes I've ever been happy with. Now, I don't think these things will handle my 170 lbs and 30 lb pack. That'd just be unreasonable. But if you're looking for some road-running/trail-running shoes these are the mutz n*tz.

Freeleo
05-11-2007, 17:10
thank you mr thunder sir

ScottP
05-11-2007, 17:12
Whatever fits your feet best. I love montrail hard rocks (the new highlanders don't fit me very well though). New balance is a good company as well.

I'd say avoid gore-tex

I've had durability issues with the support in merrels and garmonts (lasting around 300 miles vs all of my hard rocks' 650+)

Unless you're real nimble stay away from anything that looks as if t would shred real easily, such as this http://www.shop.com/op/~MRL225_Merrell_Overdrive-prod-40295157-53567690?sourceid=3
for long distance hiking

also, i like having a little bit of toe-stub protection

i'd also avoid the elastic noe-tie lacing (except for salomon, they seem to have made it work somehow, according to other hikers, but i have no first hand there)

hootyhoo
05-11-2007, 20:51
I have been punishing mine and they are holding up good. Some days they are wet from morning to next morning and there is no sign of glue failure. I got the wides and although I do not need wide, I am glad that I did. They have been comfortable for me.

fiddlehead
05-12-2007, 00:51
Fit is the most important thing. i always buy them a size or two too big. Last time i got a good pair of Merrill's on ebay for about $35.00 ($100 shoes used about 1 hour beforehand) they are now 2 years old and holding up great. good luck.

gumball
05-12-2007, 07:53
I agree with the fit issue--Adidas fit my narrower foot very well, and I have a couple of pairs of Response Trail. My husband uses a shoe with a wider foot.