PDA

View Full Version : Dear HH Mafia

BigwaveDave
05-11-2007, 18:50
I'm thinking of making ny bones and switching to a hammock, I'm looking at an Eaglesnest single with the bells and whistles. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. Stupid question but where the heck do you put your pack at night? Do you hang it?

FanaticFringer
05-11-2007, 19:04
I'm thinking of making ny bones and switching to a hammock, I'm looking at an Eaglesnest single with the bells and whistles. Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. Stupid question but where the heck do you put your pack at night? Do you hang it?

Congratulations....You are well on your way to becoming a "Made" man.:D
A few folks over at www.hammockforums.net have the Eaglenest hammock.
I cant speak for it. I have a Hennessy and a Speer hammock.
Pack can be put under you hammock and tarp. Attached to a tree. Or attached to your hammock at either end.

cannonball
05-11-2007, 19:58
We had an unseasonably cool few days this past week so I headed out for an over nighter. Ran across a fellow setting up a hamock. He kept wandering around talking to himself. All I could make out was he kept saying " hamocks bad... tents good.... hamocks dark and scary, tents light and safe.

FanaticFringer
05-11-2007, 20:56
We had an unseasonably cool few days this past week so I headed out for an over nighter. Ran across a fellow setting up a hamock. He kept wandering around talking to himself. All I could make out was he kept saying " hamocks bad... tents good.... hamocks dark and scary, tents light and safe.

He must have hit his head on a rock as his hammock slipped off the tree.:D

Touch of Grey
05-11-2007, 21:09
I too have a Speer and an HH. I usually keep the pack on the outside of the hammock either on the ground or sometimes if the ground is wet or damp I will hang it from a tree. Then there are nights when I use it under my knees to elevate the legs to ease swelling. So there are just as many ways to store/use a pack as you did as a tenter.

Of course then there are the guys who have gear hammocks that double as pack covers where they store the nearly empty pack in camp.

TOG

ShakeyLeggs
05-11-2007, 21:12

:welcome to the Hammock Hangin Mafia!!

He definitely hit his head on something.

Nest
05-12-2007, 00:28
I have an Eaglesnest single, love it, and will be taking it on my thru next year. Most people, myself included, would not suggest getting all of the extras with the ENO. The only other thing I use of theirs are the Slap Strap Pros, and I might switch them out for something lighter and more adjustable. Their tarps and mosquito nets are too heavy, and better ones can be bought seperately. I would suggest you get an ENO and the slap straps to start with since they are fairly cheap. Then look around for better tarps and mosquito nets if you want. I actualy made my net myself in about an hour. You will definately change your mind on what you want to use, and you wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on tarps, nets, suspension, and other extras when you will replace them with something that fits you better. Start off cheap and simple and work from there. Wish I had.

hammock engineer
05-12-2007, 00:53
I put my pack on the ground for the longest time. Some others use a seperate gear hammock. Now I use a gearskin pack I just hang the empty skin over the support line of my hammock. My clothes bag and stuff sacks go into one sack and are put under my knees when I sleep.

RockStar
05-12-2007, 02:05

I have an ENO single and none of the bells and whistles that ENO offers for weight and effeciency reasons. I have a MAcCat Standard Tarp and will order a Deluxe Bliss bug net from campmor soon for a fraction of the cost and weight. I do use the slap strap pros though. Congrats!:cool:

Ramble~On
05-12-2007, 05:48
I have a little collection of hammocks and my ENO Double is still a favorite.
I use Slap Strap Pros and as mentioned above they + hammock are all the bells and whistles needed... I use a 10x12 sil tarp which is just the overkill I like.

peter_pan
05-12-2007, 06:11
Welcome to the hanging gang...

Have a good bottom insulation plan/system before you learn the hard way.

Pan

Lyle
05-12-2007, 10:56
What do you folks see as the advantage of an Eaglesnest over a Speer or Hennesy?

I'm just starting to toy around with getting a hammock.

BigwaveDave
05-12-2007, 11:53
Wow! Thanks to everyone for the info. I have a friend who is able to get the ENO at cost, less than a c note for the whole thing. I'll will check out the straps.

"Not all who wander are lost"

FanaticFringer
05-12-2007, 16:04
What do you folks see as the advantage of an Eaglesnest over a Speer or Hennesy?

I'm just starting to toy around with getting a hammock.

Cost is the main advantage I've hear of.

D'Artagnan
05-14-2007, 09:28
I've used a Hennessy for awhile but just recently changed over the the ENO Double Eagle. I like the more "open" feel of the ENO and the weight was a huge factor, too. Make sure to get the Slap Strap "PRO" since they weigh much less and the standard Slap Straps and are longer.

As a matter of fact, I slept out in the yard in mine Saturday night. My great dane and my neighbors question my sanity. :D

D'Artagnan
05-14-2007, 09:30
...weigh much less THAN the standard...

Hooch
05-23-2007, 05:42
He must have hit his head on a rock as his hammock slipped off the tree.:D
Nah, he probable hit it on a rock when he rolled over asleep in his tent one night. :D

Hooch
05-23-2007, 05:52
As a matter of fact, I slept out in the yard in mine Saturday night. My great dane and my neighbors question my sanity. :D Don't sweat it, I sleep in mine on the back porch all the time. Besides, who gives a crap what others think? :eek:

I have an ENO SingleNest that I am modifying with ring buckle supports right now, and I really like it. It was my first hammock that I got when I "got made" last year. I'm going to switch over to some DIY gear after my vacation, a section hike from the I-40 overpass to Hot Springs, which starts in less thatn a week and a half.

I was really gung-ho about those Slap Strap Pro's myself when I got them, but they stretched WAY too much for my liking. That's why I'm going over to the ring buckles. They may work for you and you may love 'em, but that's just my experience. I don't knock ANYONE's gear, what works for them is cool. :D

msupple
05-23-2007, 10:39

Typical Republican....resistant to change even if it's better.:datz

Rhino-lfl
05-23-2007, 15:40

He must have been catatonic from sleep deprivation from being on the ground. We hangers don't suffer from sleep deprivation.

Smile
05-23-2007, 18:18
I, too, am on the verge of switching over. Saw the WB Hammock folks and asked lots of questions ( I camped right next to you all, very quiet!). I have a few more, hopefully some of you can give me advice:

1. Other than the one that enters from the bottom ( looks like a pain if you 'forget' something and have to dehammock) what's the most convenient enter/exit system? i liked the jacks'r'better ones, but other ideas?

2. Where do you put your pack? I don't like the idea of leaving my pack outside somewhere, especially if someone has accidentally drizzled or drooled some meaty smelling stuff on it - what if it is removed/dragged/taken by a creature such as a bear, or worse - a theif. I like sleeping with my stuff.

3. The whole warmth thing, is the weight of an underquilt/sleepingbag/pad/etc. lighter than a tent combo of the same?

4. What about rain running down the lines and into the corners of the hammock?

5. I saw the scrunchy 'snakeskins' on some hammocks, what about these? If it is raining, can you go under the 'tarp' thingy and sqush your hammock together dry and pack it up that way so it stays dry =- even if the 'snakeskin' things are soaked?

6. What happens when it's really windy?

7. What do you do in the Whites? Switch to a tent?

Thanks for your patience, these may have been asked before, but I really liked the few I got into, and the idea of being off the ground and off of the rocks ( I'm thinking PA now) is nice.

Convince me! I am near convert ready to get a hammock.... :)

FanaticFringer
05-23-2007, 19:47
[quote=Smile;365601]I, too, am on the verge of switching over. Saw the WB Hammock folks and asked lots of questions ( I camped right next to you all, very quiet!). I have a few more, hopefully some of you can give me advice:

1. Other than the one that enters from the bottom ( looks like a pain if you 'forget' something and have to dehammock) what's the most convenient enter/exit system? i liked the jacks'r'better ones, but other ideas?

2. Where do you put your pack? I don't like the idea of leaving my pack outside somewhere, especially if someone has accidentally drizzled or drooled some meaty smelling stuff on it - what if it is removed/dragged/taken by a creature such as a bear, or worse - a theif. I like sleeping with my stuff.

3. The whole warmth thing, is the weight of an underquilt/sleepingbag/pad/etc. lighter than a tent combo of the same?

5. I saw the scrunchy 'snakeskins' on some hammocks, what about these? If it is raining, can you go under the 'tarp' thingy and sqush your hammock together dry and pack it up that way so it stays dry =- even if the 'snakeskin' things are soaked?

Thanks for your patience, these may have been asked before, but I really liked the few I got into, and the idea of being off the ground and off of the rocks ( I'm thinking PA now) is nice.

Convince me! I am near convert ready to get a hammock.... :)[/quote

I'll try my best to make a hammock mafia member of you.:D
You probably already know about www.hammockforums.net
Check us out. Also check out www.tothewoods.net Excellent site.
Now I'll give you my opinion on your questions:

1) I have two Hennessy hammocks and the bottom entrance works well for me. Others like a top loader such as a Speer hammock. Opinions really vary on this one. I have'nt seen the new JRB hammock. It's still a work in progress from what I've heard but some such as yourself have seen it.

2)Pack can either be put under hammock, attached to tree, attached to hammock at end. Some people put the pack in the hammock and have it under their knees for support. As far as someone stealing it or a huge bear ripping it apart, it's really no different than a tent would be. You will have a tarp over you and you could tell if someone or something was fooling with it.

3)This should help:www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

4)Snakeskins should help keep the water out. A drip string attached to each end could help. If using webbing to suspend the hammock, you could twist the webbing and this would help. Speaking of suspension, check this out:www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=ring Extremely popular way to suspend the hammock. Most viewed thread on the site. Makes things much easier. Caution: may take you forever to read all the posts.

5)If the snakeskins are wet, the hammock will still be dry. I keep my hammock in snakeskins at the bottom of my pack and my tarp on the outside of my pack. In case it starts raining my tarp is easily gotten to and ready to set-up. Others on hammock forums use different homemade versions of snakeskins which can even go over an underquilt.

6)If it is really windy, just make sure the tarp it tied down very close to the hammock. Pray that tree does'nt crash on you.:D

7)Dont know enough about the Whites.

Now you are a "made" man.:cool: Your first assignment is to go and 'Get rid of"
that tent.

hammock engineer
05-23-2007, 21:05
I, too, am on the verge of switching over. Saw the WB Hammock folks and asked lots of questions ( I camped right next to you all, very quiet!). I have a few more, hopefully some of you can give me advice:

Next time stop by and say hi. I am more than happy to show people my hammock.

I like the speer style. It is easy to jump in and lounge around in. I can reach anything on the outside.

I use a gearskin pack with all my gear in seatosummit bags. I strap the empty gearskin to the support lines on my hammock. The sts bags get clipped to the ridgeline (line running overtop the hammock) so my gear is really close.

Some use and love pads, I use and love underquilts. My DIY top quilt weighs in at 21oz and my bottom is 25oz. Those 2 can get me to below freezing. Add in a $5 ccp from walmart and a hammock sock and I have been toasty to -10 deg F

Some people put drip stoppers on the lines. I use straps and rings. The rings stop any water. On the straps you can twist them and the water should run off. I made it though some good rains just fine. I also have a huge tarp.

I have netting skins for my tarp. It is stored seperatly from all of my gear. It goes up first when it is raining. That way none of my gear comes out in the rain. It is also nice to set up for breaks in the rain while hiking.

Same as tarping. I try to set up in a location sheltered from the wind. I use a cat cut tarp that can withstand a good amount of wind.

Ask me that this winter when I get back from my thru.:D From what I hear there is plently of places on side trails to hang.

Convince me! I am near convert ready to get a hammock.... :)

hammock engineer
05-23-2007, 21:06
I forgot to add that hammocks have a learning curve to them. Not hard, just different than tenting. Ask way with question here or on www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) .

SunnyWalker
05-24-2007, 01:15
I have a HH. I like it very much. I have never tried other brands. I find the HH very easy to set up, especially with the "snakeskins". Good luck to you and you'll notice right away-no more hard ground. -SunnyWalker

Smile
05-24-2007, 11:42
All great answers, and thanks so much for the links and references! I may be a convert yet. Good to know especially about the rain leakage coming in, sounds like its not a major point.

I tried to talk to everyone I could in the WBHH area, but some were already in them! One guy let me get in his - I am SO bad with names, hmmmm, brown hammock, brown clothes, WB shirt....I give up.

Will check out that other forum asap :)

Otherwise, seems like the MSR Hubba is the tent of choice, at least at traildays that one dominated the city.

peanuts
05-24-2007, 11:55
smile, come to the dark side!!!:D you will not regret it:):):)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-24-2007, 12:02
Smile, I'm kind of new to the hammocking thing, but have been looking them over and testing them for about a year now and have discovered a few things -
The bottom entry hammocks are a real pain. It requires serious gymnasitics for me to get in and out - and seriously gymnastics and a full bladder don't mix. Also, the velcro in the bottom of the HH style interferes with positioning for me.
There are several types of top loaders - Speer and Warbonnet seem to be the best mix of features. Eno's sides are too high for me to be able to get in and out. I haven't tried the EagleNest so no comment on it. The crazy Crib was too unstable - I couldn't lay down in that one.
Jack R Better is coming out with a really interesting design soon that may make it possible for me to enter and exit a hammock by myself. It is going to be heavier than most, but if it works, I will gladly take on the extra weight.

peanuts
05-24-2007, 12:19
fd, eaglesnest and eno are the same hammock

1azarus
05-24-2007, 12:22
Ah, F.D., for the first time I can remember I disagree with you!!! People talk about the learning curve with hammocks... and it is real. With some practice the getting in and out of an HH isn't any worse than getting in and out of a zipped tent. Sure, it does require some agility, but it isn't generally a problem. And it is way better than getting out of a tent with a tiny vestibule in the rain.

Ewker
05-24-2007, 12:43
Ah, F.D., for the first time I can remember I disagree with you!!! People talk about the learning curve with hammocks... and it is real. With some practice the getting in and out of an HH isn't any worse than getting in and out of a zipped tent. Sure, it does require some agility, but it isn't generally a problem. And it is way better than getting out of a tent with a tiny vestibule in the rain.

I got to agree with FD, getting in and out of a HH sucks.

txulrich
05-24-2007, 13:46
I got to agree with FD, getting in and out of a HH sucks.

And I would have to agree with stevenleelazarus. The only time I've had any problem getting in and out of my HH was before I switched to the ring suspension. The ropes and straps would stretch too much and I was much closer to the ground. Since the switch, a lot less stretch and no worries.

If I had mobility probles like FD, it might be a different story. I think that the bottom line here, is to try them out and find what works best for you. Then move on and don't look back!!

FanaticFringer
05-24-2007, 16:28
Yea, if you have mobility issues the bottom entrance could pose a problem.
Most people, including myself, love the bottom entrance.

Just Jeff
05-24-2007, 17:48
The only time I have a problem getting out of the HH is when I'm wearing fleece pants...the velcro sticks to me. But FD has a bum leg (that's slowly recovering!) so it's a special consideration for her.

Hooch
05-28-2007, 19:20
:clap

Ask way with question here or on www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) . Smile, have you thought about maybe a gear hammock? Just Jeff has directions for a kid's/gear hammock on his website, http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html . I've seen a couple people do that, it's super lightweight and takes up very little space.

HE, love the shameless advertisement! :clap