PDA

View Full Version : Greyson Loop?

ole slo
05-11-2007, 19:37
Can anyone recommend a 4-5 day loop that includes Greyson Highlands, or a straight hike with shuttles to also include Greyson? I get my Grandsons for a week this summer and would love to show them (and me) the ponies.

LeeF
05-11-2007, 20:45
Get Mount Roger Outfitters (or maybe Lone Wolf) to drop you off at Fox Creek and walk the 42 miles south to Damascus. I've done that section several times and will probably do it again this year. Everybody loves that area. While you are there ride the Creeper Trail, it's as much fun as the AT.

Blissful
05-11-2007, 21:32
Great area to hike. Interesting territory. Highly recommend it. My hubby got a shuttle with Lone Wolf to the AT parking lot north of Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands SP and really enjoyed the ride. :)

Appalachian Tater
05-12-2007, 00:07
Can anyone recommend a 4-5 day loop that includes Greyson Highlands, or a straight hike with shuttles to also include Greyson? I get my Grandsons for a week this summer and would love to show them (and me) the ponies.

There isn't a better way for you to spend a week with them. It's something they will remember forever. It's definitely one of the special places on the A.T. Enjoy it!

bigcranky
05-12-2007, 08:17
Great area, one of my all-time favorites. Just realize that the open high country with the ponies encompasses but a small portion of the section from Fox Creek to Damascus. You'll want to slow down and enjoy it.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2007, 09:23
I would drive up to Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands and find the overnight parking area(to the right off the main road to Massie Gap)where you can leave your car for several days. From that lot there is a trail that ties into many trails along Wilburn Ridge including the Appalachian Trail. Wilburn Ridge could be the focus of your loop hikes and around it are many trails that skirt Mt Rogers, a little place called Scales, and several creek crossings including a couple of AT shelters.

ole slo
05-13-2007, 19:22
Thank you all for the great advice, especially you Big Cranky. Although if I slo down from my normal pace my shoes may grow moss.

I expect we wil love it.

trlhiker
05-13-2007, 20:21
I would drive up to Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands and find the overnight parking area(to the right off the main road to Massie Gap)where you can leave your car for several days. From that lot there is a trail that ties into many trails along Wilburn Ridge including the Appalachian Trail. Wilburn Ridge could be the focus of your loop hikes and around it are many trails that skirt Mt Rogers, a little place called Scales, and several creek crossings including a couple of AT shelters.

I would like to take my wife up to this area this coming fall. Are there any good maps or guides for the trails of this area?

orangebug
05-13-2007, 21:14
MRO has very good maps by National Geographic (I think) that shows much more of Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands than the AT Maps will.

I strongly recommend the idea of Fox Creek as a starting place and walking south. Blueberry bushes are great in July and August before you get to the Highlands. Ponies may be seen long before you reach the Highlands. This is an area of very easy hiking and potential of 15 mile days easily, but stopping and taking time is highly recommended.

Have a blast.

cutman11
05-13-2007, 22:44
Check out the Pine mountain trail. Its a 2 mile connector that can be used to create a loop hike from rhodadentron gap to around old orchard shelter and then hike the AT back to the gap. You can start as others have described by parking at the parking area at massie gap and taking the blue blazed AT spur trail up to the AT. This would be about a 2 day loop, though, but you could lengthen it by doing the wilburn ridge as another mini loop.

Tipi Walter
05-14-2007, 08:10
Yeah, on one of my trips I did the Pine Mountain loop which took me up around and past Scales where I camped and also put me down by those fence stiles and a creek, Wilson Creek, I believe. My best map is a colorful thing called the Mount Rogers High Country And Wildernesses -- Jefferson National Forest Virginia, put out by the USDA Forest Service. It's got all the trails color-coded with the AT in bold red.