PDA

View Full Version : section hiking info requested

MattBob
05-11-2007, 20:31
I would like to get the opinion of some AT hikers. I was going to thru-hike this year, starting early April and ending in mid Sept. Due to situations that had spiraled out of control, I wouldn't be able to leave until about a week from now. If I were to execute a thru hike this year, it would more or less turn into a endurance challenge (which, lets face it, would kick me off the trail much earlier than I would desire due to injury), which is something that I never wanted in the first place. So what's the point? I am looking for advice to what recommendations people may have. Currently I'm looking at this as something like a two month hike. Nothing spectacular or specific. I thought I'd go ahead and start at Springer (shortly after Trail Days) and then hike for about a month to VA. This way I can stop at Neels Gap and make any necessary adjustments (this will be my first long distance hike), pop in Erwin to see/help Miss Janet, do some trail work, etc. Then, once I make it to Damascus, I could then bus or hitch up to Harpers Ferry, WV and continue for the second month or so up there. This way, I can enjoy the beginning, take my time and then fast forward to where current thru hikers should be.

This is just one idea/thought but I know that there are a lot more experienced hikers out there that could better advise me. I look forward to your input.

Cheers!
Matt

Touch of Grey
05-11-2007, 21:14
In the next couple of weeks is prime southbound season. Think about doing a southnound if you still want to do a thru. Otherwise a section hike is still an accomplishment. Because of knee problems I am no reduced to doing sections. I still feel good about it and myself because I still am accomplishing something a very small percentage of people will ever do or think of doing. As saying goes, "HYOH".

TOG

Cookerhiker
05-11-2007, 21:16
Your plan sounds OK but I think you'll miss most of the thru hikers even with your leapfrog to HF. If you leave Springer about May 23 and take a month to hike 460 miles to Damascus, you'll find yourself at Harpers in late June when most thrus are gone. If you want to hike some with thrus (and assuming you want to start at Springer for the reasons you stated), I'd hike to Damascus and then leapfrog to NJ or NY. The Trail's accessible via public transportation from NY to Bear Mountain or Rt. 22. If you do this, be prepared for hot humid weather and mosquitos.

Blissful
05-11-2007, 21:27
I think four weeks to Damascus from Springer is a challenge, esp if you want to be in Erwin to help out and do trail work along with hiking some major peaks. But you do have better weather on your side which I did not (snow, snow, snow). I know plenty of young, tough hikers that did it though. It is a beautiful area to hike.

I would also consider hiking the Mt Rogers, Grayson Highlands area of southern VA so you can say you did a little of VA (you can do it in a couple of days). So many hikers this year were very impressed with the region. Then hitch north. But if you only have another month to hike though, you might consider doing some of New England like the Whites. Tough but spectacular. I guess it depends though if you want to be with the thru hikers.

Askus3
05-12-2007, 09:54
Just a thought: Note that between Shenandoah National Park and Salisbury, CT which is in the very northwest corner of the state. The Appalachian Trail does not go over 2,000 feet. One month from now, will be mid-June. The temperatures you will be hiking in border on uncomfortable to worse during the day in these low level stretches but the trail is not flat, you still have to exert yourself up and down 500 foot climbs. So jump up north and start at the higher elevations, since you are going to skip a large stretch anyway and be comfortable. Elaborating on what Cookerhiker says, I'd travel even further north and get public trans to Rutland, VT. If you start mid-June at Rutland, VT you will still be with a surprising number of northbounders. Heck, Woodstock who started at Springer Mt. in the end of February is already in Connecticut! Right now there are a good number of hikers already in Duncannon. PA and they will be up in VT in June and finishing by early Aug.

max patch
05-12-2007, 23:20
Do a SOBO.