PDA

View Full Version : Southern AT fall weather

Lyle
05-12-2007, 10:35
Just a quick question. When can one start to EXPECT winter weather in the southern Appalachians? I know it can be encountered most any time, but about what time of year does it become likely?

I'm anticipating a fall (October or November) section hike, and may decide to start at Springer.

hammock engineer
05-12-2007, 12:26
Hopefully that will be the time I am finished my SOBO, late November-ish.

I think every year is different, but I am planning to be able to hike in the 20's and sleep below 0. It might not be that cold, but I will be comfy if it is.

I should add that I haven't hiked in the south in the winter yet. But I will have my winter setup when I do.

bigcranky
05-12-2007, 18:47
By early November we usually get lows around 30 and highs around 50, but it's possible to have lows down around 10 by mid-November some years. This would be on the Trail in Tennessee/SW Virginia. The Smokies will be colder. By December it's getting to be "winter," however you define that in the Southeast.

That said, the weather has been screwy the last couple of years. We've had oddly warm weather in January and February, with random bitter cold snaps. On the second weekend in December last year, we had lows in the low single digits and highs around 20 for a weekend hike, then the next week it was 40 degrees warmer than that.

Flinx
05-12-2007, 19:56
Hey Lyle....i will be starting my hike on Oct. 30th at Amicalola Park....maybe see you then.....I have wondered how cool it may get also....i have a 20 degree bag so i should be OK :)

Lyle
05-12-2007, 23:53
Thanks folks.

Hammock Engineer - Good possibility I'll see you some time. I'm in the process of doing a south to north section, hope to do a MAGA thru sometime too. Hope we get a chance to chat a bit.

Flinx - I hope to start sometime in Oct., but no dates are set yet. How far you planning to hike, starting a thru then?

I've been in Southern VA and got caught in a blizzard on Whitetop on the first day of spring, another time got caught in a blizzard in the Shenendoahs in first part of Nov. Temp on Whitetop was 12 below! It can get cold, even by Michigan standards. :-)

Marta
05-13-2007, 19:19
Prepare for the teens, but you will probably also get some days in the 70s, with nights only down in the 50s. There will also probably be cold, drenching rains. October will probably not be all that cold; November will have more cold snaps.

As the leaves come off the trees, the views improve.

Enjoy your hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Flinx
05-13-2007, 19:28
Oh...i'm just doing a section hike to Neels Gap.....wish i had time for a thru :mad:

fiddlehead
05-14-2007, 06:21
did the smokies in 2002 in late Jan. Saw no other hikers except day hikers and the weather was excellent. but that is not always the case so you shouldn't expect it. I would predrill holes in your shoes and carry some panhead screws in case you hit ice. Simply screw in the screws about halfway and you'll enjoy good traction. have fun.