PDA

View Full Version : Flip-flopping and safety

flyingduckmonster
05-13-2007, 16:34
Hi there, ladies!

I know that every, like, month there's someone who comes in and says "Is it safe for a woman to thru-hike?" to which the overwhelming answer is usually "Yes, of course, but probably don't hitch alone."

What I'm wondering is, does that include people doing alternative schedules? Say, PA/WV/MD/VA->GE, PA/WV/MD/VA->ME? [Heh, I haven't decided on an itinerary yet, as you can see.]

The Shenandoahs are the part that worry most folks, and I'd be doing those really early in the season, when there are less people around. Any thoughts?

Blissful
05-13-2007, 20:34
Hi there, ladies!

I know that every, like, month there's someone who comes in and says "Is it safe for a woman to thru-hike?" to which the overwhelming answer is usually "Yes, of course, but probably don't hitch alone."

What I'm wondering is, does that include people doing alternative schedules? Say, PA/WV/MD/VA->GE, PA/WV/MD/VA->ME? [Heh, I haven't decided on an itinerary yet, as you can see.]

The Shenandoahs are the part that worry most folks, and I'd be doing those really early in the season, when there are less people around. Any thoughts?

Curious why safety in Shenandoah NP would worry you (?) It has rangers patrolling and crosses the Skyline drive numerous times (unless that is what concerns you?). I have hiked many trails in Shenandoah. No problems at all. And the visitors congregate at the popular places - like Big Meadows, White Oak Canyon, Skyland. As for me, I was most concerned on my thru so far by crossing Interstates and major roads and always had either my son or a fellow hiker to hike with.

Vi+
05-13-2007, 21:06
Flyingduckmonster,

I, as is Blissful, am intrigued by your concern, “The Shenandoahs are the part that worry most folks, and I'd be doing those really early in the season, when there are less people around.”

You live in Virginia. What great fright have you experienced?

I really don’t understand why the Shenandoahs, which is to pretty much to say the Shenandoah National Park is a particular concern for you. You’re in fact the first person, in writing or verbally, I’ve met who has expressed particular concern about that area.

Some nut did murder two female hikers years ago but that can occur anywhere. The last sentence may not provide much comfort for you but in the intervening years, between then and now, some nuts have probably killed people in every other type of environment. Hmmm, that doesn’t sound reassuring, either.

Oh, well.

Regardless, virtually everyone you meet in the Shenandoahs will be out there to enjoy being outdoors. They’re likely to enjoy meeting you, recognizing you enjoy the outdoors at least as much as they.

Almost everyone along the Shenandoah corridor will assume, seeing your pack, you’re a hiker. Off-season or in-season, drivers are likely to lend you a helping hand.

flyingduckmonster
05-16-2007, 20:53
I guess I should have been more clear. Sorry. :o

So, the thing is, women aren't attacked along the trail often, but it does happen, now and then, usually when they're close to civilization, of which the Shenandoahs have plenty. Like you said, the only really well-known case of female hikers being murdered happened there. Now and then, when researching this hiking thing, I'd see mention of women worrying a bit about the Shenandoahs.

But I really just used it as an example of a place where you'll meet people (particularly non-thru-hikers), but maybe not enough people to keep you safe. Like, there's no guarantee that someone else will come along quickly enough, should there be problems. If that makes any sense.

I'm not wildly frightened; I was just curious whether people had thoughts on the issue. Seems not, and that's great. I'll take the lack of response (other than confusion) to mean that it's probably a non-issue and carry along merrily making plans.

Thanks!

:banana

Marta
05-16-2007, 21:34
flyingduckmonster--I agree completely. The SNP shelters really creeped me out in the early winter when I was hiking alone. (I didn't see any rangers then, either.) The shelters are all within 2/10s of a mile from a parking area so all sorts of people were wandering around. The registers had assorted unpleasant entries written by jerks. OTOH, when I went back over Easter with a friend, there were quite a few other hikers about (in spite of the very cold weather) and it was fun.

Marta/Five-Leaf

1n the Sun
06-18-2007, 14:28
OK...I grew up in western Maryland and now I live in southwestern Virginia near VA Tech. I've camped and hiked all thru the Shenandoah park, as well as the great wilderness areas down here. I hate the fact that you never truly get far from a road. You're always able to here RV's struggling along up some fo the Big pulls to get to the Panaroma or whatever. And Big Meadows Campground had to do a major bathhouse renovation recently, because they had plumbing issues that was breeding some fo the flesh eating strep bacteria...

Anyway, I don't blame the kids who leave the trail near Charlottesville and take public transportation to DC and the train back to Harper's Ferry. Yes, many folks have this as a thru Hike Itinerary. They plan to maybe someday family camp and show off the Skyline Drive and introduce the next generation (or Boyfriend) to camping and backpacking ina a light wieght fashion, before marching them through 2,000+ miles...