PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism at Monson

walkin' wally
05-13-2007, 16:54
Sorry if this is a repost.

Sadly the beginning of hiking season also brings out the darker elements too. Yesterday a mercedes sedan with NY plates parked at the trailhead on Rt 15 north of Monson had it's rear window kicked in by someone with nothing better to do.

The sherriff said the owner was from NYC, I believe, but did not know how to get hold of the person immediately. Passing by today I noticed someone had taped black plastic over the window.

I believe the shuttler who works at Shaws(?) reported the incident to the sherriff as he was sitting there in his vehicle. We arrived there by coincidence at the same time as the sherriff. Nothing was taken from the inside of the car. Just some muddy bootprints on the trunk.

That would be the last thing I would want to see at the end of a hike.:mad:

DawnTreader
05-13-2007, 18:19
Sad lesson learned.. don't leave your car at the trailhead..

Frosty
05-13-2007, 18:33
Sorry if this is a repost.

Sadly the beginning of hiking season also brings out the darker elements too. Yesterday a mercedes sedan with NY plates parked at the trailhead on Rt 15 north of Monson had it's rear window kicked in by someone with nothing better to do.

The sherriff said the owner was from NYC, I believe, but did not know how to get hold of the person immediately. Passing by today I noticed someone had taped black plastic over the window.

I believe the shuttler who works at Shaws(?) reported the incident to the sherriff as he was sitting there in his vehicle. We arrived there by coincidence at the same time as the sherriff. Nothing was taken from the inside of the car. Just some muddy bootprints on the trunk.

That would be the last thing I would want to see at the end of a hike.:mad:That really sucks.

mudhead
05-13-2007, 19:06
Ignorance breeds contempt.

Years ago things were different.

Secure parking is an issue.

Toolshed
05-13-2007, 19:10
Hmmmm. The oppressed Meth induced youth of Monson perhaps teaching a lesson to those flauntingly rich touristy upstarts from the City?????? :sun

FanaticFringer
05-13-2007, 19:18
Dont take your Mercedes to the trailhead. Take your Pinto.:rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
05-13-2007, 19:19
First vandalism at that trailhead I've ever heard about. And the way old Keith would gossip I'm sure I would've heard about it! Nothing taken from the NY car? Red Sox fan did it. Unless they had a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker, then it was their own dern fault.

mudhead
05-13-2007, 19:36
Sox fan would have used a rock. Plenty of those around, might screw up a boot.

Levity aside, this is not the way life should be...

Nightwalker
05-13-2007, 20:26
First vandalism at that trailhead I've ever heard about. And the way old Keith would gossip I'm sure I would've heard about it! Nothing taken from the NY car? Red Sox fan did it. Unless they had a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker, then it was their own dern fault.

Maybe there was a Burt's Bees sticker on the back window. I know how you guys love them up there. (I've stopped buying BB stuff as well after talking to folks up there last year.)

aaroniguana
05-13-2007, 21:42
Eh. Better that Roxanne gives a bunch of timberland to the state than EarthFirst! comes in and spikes all the trees.

weary
05-13-2007, 21:55
Sorry, TJ. a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker," is not a valid excuse for vandalism, as you know. and I know. It was aflippant remark on your part. But even flippant remarks need answering, from time to time.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
05-14-2007, 06:32
Sorry, TJ. a "RESTORE the North Woods" bumpersticker," is not a valid excuse for vandalism, as you know.

Not for you or I, Weary. But as you know, for the kind of yahoos who vandalize cars, it just might be. For you, sheltered away down on the coast well below the Volvo Line, these issues might not be as clear as they are for those who spend a good deal of time north of Augusta.
I favor a North Woods National Park, impeaching Bush, Al Gore for President, and gun control. I know better than to slap bumperstickers saying so on the vehicle I leave at AT trailheads in Maine.

MOWGLI
05-14-2007, 07:05
Sox fan would have used a rock.

Why would a Sox fan use their head to break a car window?? :confused:

Never mind. Their choice in baseball teams explains it all. ;)

mudhead
05-14-2007, 09:27
should have seen that layup...

It is still May, so may I ask: How bout them Sox?

The Scribe
05-14-2007, 09:43
It is still May, so may I ask: How bout them Sox?

Sox fans are always insecure. So, since we don't know what tomorrow will bring, we enjoy today.

An EIGHT game lead!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:banana

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 16:39
Never mind. Their choice in baseball teams explains it all. ;)

Go Yankees, and take the Nets wit you! Or something like that...

I really wouldn't be talking about the Yanks too loud these days. But what do I know. I've been a Braves fan since the '60s. :)

sherrill
05-14-2007, 17:07
Funny how a vandalism post turns into a Boston/New York discussion. . . :p

mweinstone
05-14-2007, 17:15
you dont know it was vandals do you? it may have been an accedent. respect for others personal property exists nomore. who just learned this?if if you even react to this story, your deniying real issues prayer. a peice of glass is broken. millions are starving. the two are worthy bookmarks on the limits of our range of careing. a more proper set would be from millions starving to one starving. there isnt time for glass. or vandals. just prayer and work now. must save lives. let the car go. you are killing everyone with it .

atraildreamer
05-14-2007, 22:51
My best friend said that with the kind of cars that I drive, I could leave my car running in the worst part of town, come back a hour later and it would still be there, untouched. :rolleyes:

I added that there would probably be a few dollar bills left on the seat by sympathetic passers-by. :D

walkin' wally
05-15-2007, 08:25
I was wondering how much detail to put in the opening post. I thought that someone from Whiteblaze might know who was hiking in that area. They may have been able to get in touch with the hikers.

I don't think the type of vehicle or where it's from really matters. It's just seeing this at the end of your hike that is a bummer. It seems from this board that this is not uncommon along the AT.

This was no accident. Someone had to stand on the trunk and stomp down on the glass. There was a hole roughly the shape of a foot.

I may try to post a photo here if I can.

Something similar to this happened at Caratunk last fall near the time of the Whiteblaze Gathering according to Steve Longley.

woodsy
05-15-2007, 20:18
I don't think the type of vehicle or where it's from really matters.Maybe, maybe not. I have noticed some people parking at trailheads remove the license plates and place a note in the window stating that "this is not an abandoned vehicle". Maybe, just maybe, hiding the state which it is from.

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 02:37
You say something similar happened in Caratunk last fall? Could there be a serial stomper in Maine stalking "notice how rich I am" vehicles at AT trailheads. Hopefully I'll meet up with him and he can help make my grape nuts easier to eat.
Get it? Serial stomper . . . you know - cereal? Hahahahahahahah , I crack myself up . . . again!:) :rolleyes: :)

I was wondering how much detail to put in the opening post. I thought that someone from Whiteblaze might know who was hiking in that area. They may have been able to get in touch with the hikers.

I don't think the type of vehicle or where it's from really matters. It's just seeing this at the end of your hike that is a bummer. It seems from this board that this is not uncommon along the AT.

This was no accident. Someone had to stand on the trunk and stomp down on the glass. There was a hole roughly the shape of a foot.

I may try to post a photo here if I can.

Something similar to this happened at Caratunk last fall near the time of the Whiteblaze Gathering according to Steve Longley.

RockStar
05-16-2007, 03:34
My best friend said that with the kind of cars that I drive, I could leave my car running in the worst part of town, come back a hour later and it would still be there, untouched.

I added that there would probably be a few dollar bills left on the seat by sympathetic passers-by.

LOL

You say something similar happened in Caratunk last fall? Could there be a serial stomper in Maine stalking "notice how rich I am" vehicles at AT trailheads. Hopefully I'll meet up with him and he can help make my grape nuts easier to eat.
Get it? Serial stomper . . . you know - cereal? Hahahahahahahah , I crack myself up . . . again!

LOL

On that note-Im going to bed!

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 03:39
LOL

LOL

On that note-Im going to bed!

If only I had a dollar for everytime my humor sent people to a place where they could collapse and forget.:rolleyes:

RockStar
05-16-2007, 03:47
BOOO (http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy102.gif) my smileys aren't working!

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 03:54
BOOO (http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy102.gif) my smileys aren't working!

Here, have some of mine.:) :jump :bse ;)