PDA

View Full Version : lunar solo vs. gg squal clasic

Condor
05-13-2007, 22:00
Im looking to update my gear. I'm trying to decide between the gossemer gear Squall clasichttp://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Squall_Classic.html and the Six moons design lunar solo.http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36 Both weigh about the same. the squall seams to have way more room but is less storm worthy. here are my issues:

I'm 6'4" Will I fit in the lunar any tall lunar owners out there?

I hike mostly on the AT or in the east somewhere. but every summer I go out west at least once. Im woried about the performance of the squall in the wind. the lunar seems like it would do well.

I've seen plenty of tarptents out there and I love the design but have never seen the lunar in action. I searched previos forums and reviews but havent seen any on the new enhanced lunar so any comment would be apreaciated. I currently use a granite gear white lighning tarp but its trashed and tired and i'm looking for somthing that does well in the wind.:-?

Smile
05-14-2007, 03:19
IMHO, the lunar will be tight for you. Nice light tent though, but snug.

Quoddy
05-14-2007, 07:45
The Lunar Solo and the Contrail are siilarly sized. At 6'1" I have plenty of room, and the set up can be changed to give an extra couple of inches if needed. The Contrail is longer than the Squall. I now use the double pole entrance for easy entrance and exit. Photo(s) shows two pole set up and also another version of the rear where the "V" is reversed. Avitar has yet another version of the front beak.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=4472#55645

mountain squid
05-14-2007, 08:57
I agree with Smile. The Lunar Solo might be a tight fit. I'm 6' and have no problem, but 6'4'' might be a tight fit...

Gossamer Gear and Six Moon Designs will be at Trail Days. Bring your gear and check them both out.

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
mt squid

cannonball
05-14-2007, 09:01
I use the lunar solo and can state positively that it would be big enough for you. I am a big guy and I sleep in mine comfortablry along with my pack and boots.

FWIW, I was out last week and when I woke up there were ashes on my solo from all the wild fires we are having down here. When I got home I set it up in the yard and hosed it down to clean off the soot. As I was hosing, I though " what agreat time to test its water proofness". End result: I hosed, forcfully, the hell out of it. Walla, dry inside all over:D :D :D

Footslogger
05-14-2007, 10:40
With the Lunar Solo-e it's a lot about the way it's pitched. I'm NOT a tall guy (5'10") but have worked a lot with the pitch of the tent and can pretty much say with confidence that I have more than a foot of extra room between the combined head/foot end of the tent.

'Slogger

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 16:32
I use the lunar solo and can state positively that it would be big enough for you. I am a big guy and I sleep in mine comfortablry along with my pack and boots.

FWIW, I was out last week and when I woke up there were ashes on my solo from all the wild fires we are having down here. When I got home I set it up in the yard and hosed it down to clean off the soot. As I was hosing, I though " what agreat time to test its water proofness". End result: I hosed, forcfully, the hell out of it. Walla, dry inside all over:D :D :D

Strange. I have to totally re-seal my Lunar Solo E about every six months. The design is the problem. Every time you stake it out you pull against the seams.

Maybe it's the number of times that it's pitched?

Condor
05-14-2007, 17:50
Thanks for all of the info!!;) Has anyone used either of these in windy areas? I'm not talking fierce patigonian wind, just above the treeline normal wind? has any one used the Squall classic at all? I've only seen the shires version but i like that the spinniker fabric is not supposed to sag like sill nylon.

Footslogger
05-14-2007, 17:52
I've been in some pretty gusty, rainy weather with the Lunar Solo-e. Provided you've seamed sealed it, if you have it pitched right and taut with the wind coming from the rear of the tent you should have no problem.

'Slogger

Two Speed
05-14-2007, 18:15
Strange. I have to totally re-seal my Lunar Solo E about every six months. The design is the problem. Every time you stake it out you pull against the seams.

I've been in some pretty gusty, rainy weather with the Lunar Solo-e. Provided you've seamed sealed it, if you have it pitched right and taut with the wind coming from the rear of the tent you should have no problem.

'SloggerI'm gonna second 'Slogger on that one. Seam sealed it once, had a few soggy nights due to incorrect pitch, but no problems after I got that figured out. Maybe you get more time on the trail, Nightwalker?

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 18:27

'Slogger

Yeah, it pretty well handles the wind. It can also be pitched higher or lower to do better in wind, cold, heat etc. Honestly, my only complaint is the seams opening up a little from use and having to be re-sealed every 50 pitches or so.

Not to mention the weight is really, really nice. :)

Footslogger
05-14-2007, 18:38
[quote=Nightwalker;362942]Honestly, my only complaint is the seams opening up a little from use and having to be re-sealed every 50 pitches or so.

===================================

Haven't had that happen yet. Only thing I can think of is that I pulled the seams apart really hard when I sealed mine. Must have gotten a lot of goup in there.

'Slogger

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 19:15
Honestly, my only complaint is the seams opening up a little from use and having to be re-sealed every 50 pitches or so.

===================================

Haven't had that happen yet. Only thing I can think of is that I pulled the seams apart really hard when I sealed mine. Must have gotten a lot of goup in there.

'Slogger

I'll try that next time. I did it ridiculously heavy this time at the problem area. Maybe it won't be needed. :)

Condor
05-15-2007, 21:26
Hey thanks for all the great responses:sun Has anyone tried the Squall clasic or the henry shires squal above treeline? Any coment as to weather or not the gossemer gear version is worth the extra $50? I like that its a simpler design.

Passionphish
05-21-2007, 00:43
I don't own either. And honestly haven't really looked at tarp camping until recently. But after looking into the two tarptents you linked too. I would go with the squall. Simply based on the seam stretching earlier and the fact that the set up instructions for the lunar require you to set it up. Then wait an hour for the tarp itself to stretch. Then re-tighten. That seems kinda dumb. If your hiking and want to spend most of your time on trail. Then you don't want to waste that time having to pitch early for your tent to "rest"... Just my opinion.

firefly
05-22-2007, 09:01
I own both ...I have no complaints about either tent...I bought the Squall to use as a two person tent. I prefer the Lunar Solo because I really like a tight pitch. The material will sometimes stretch a bit in the wind and the rain..when this happens I just reach outside the door and tug on the tensioner strap-you do not have to leave your sleeping bag. The Squall has more space. You are much taller than me (5.2") If you like a snug sleeping space you will probably love the Lunar Solo...BUT if you move around alot at night you might do better with the Squall.

Condor
05-22-2007, 21:14
Lucky you firefly. thanks for the great reply! have you tried the squall in any nasty weather? can you pitch it with two trecking poles in the front like the contrail? Thanks again

MONKEYBUTT
05-27-2007, 00:29
My next purchase is going to be the Lunar Duo. Heck for how light the tent is and the amount of space it has. I would recommend it highly. At Traildays the Duo was set up and I got inside and it is perfect. So instead of solo, GO DUO :)

garyhebert
11-15-2007, 23:31
Im only 5'4" so the Lunar solo e is a palace, much appreciated in heavy rain.

Mine has held up great in heavy rain and pretty gusty winds. And thru one very scary MEGA HEAVY RAIN and T-storm. I use my treking pole to save weight.

As for retensioning, yes often necessary after 10min to 30 min. Usually set it up get gear inside and cook. Last pee trip I retighten outside. But to get outta the rain quick I just pull tight and jump in. Later just give a pull on the tensioner from the slightly unzipped front entrance-works even in heavy rain. And I pitch much lower in colder weather.

ChinMusic
11-15-2007, 23:43
I love my Lunar Solo-E. I did have some rather heavy condensation a few weeks ago in Michigan's UP. The weather was set-up perfect for condensation though. It was mid 30s, light rain, foggy, AND I had a wet dog in the tent with me.

My camp towel took care of most of it so it wasn't really a big deal.

Sly
11-16-2007, 00:06
My next purchase is going to be the Lunar Duo. Heck for how light the tent is and the amount of space it has. I would recommend it highly. At Traildays the Duo was set up and I got inside and it is perfect. So instead of solo, GO DUO :)

Some one had one on sale here the other day. You may want to chek the used gear forum

Lilred
11-16-2007, 13:08
Im looking to update my gear. I'm trying to decide between the gossemer gear Squall clasichttp://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Squall_Classic.html and the Six moons design lunar solo.http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=36 Both weigh about the same. the squall seams to have way more room but is less storm worthy. here are my issues:

I'm 6'4" Will I fit in the lunar any tall lunar owners out there?

I hike mostly on the AT or in the east somewhere. but every summer I go out west at least once. Im woried about the performance of the squall in the wind. the lunar seems like it would do well.

I've seen plenty of tarptents out there and I love the design but have never seen the lunar in action. I searched previos forums and reviews but havent seen any on the new enhanced lunar so any comment would be apreaciated. I currently use a granite gear white lighning tarp but its trashed and tired and i'm looking for somthing that does well in the wind.:-?

I have an original squall from henry shires and it has ridden out a couple of really good thunder boomers with no problem whatsoever. stayed dry as toast. check ebay and you might find a squall on there every now and then. The price from g.g. is outrageous. Buying used would be the way to go. I bought mine used and sent it to Henry Shires and he updated it for me with a bathtub floor and extended beak. Call Shires and see if he still has any old Squalls, you may get a good discount.

Smile
11-16-2007, 15:42

I always seam seal with the tent pitched really tight. It was a breezy day, so the goo dried quick, but never had the problem you mentioned. :)