PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Gap to Erwin?

jodestick
05-14-2007, 08:33
I have a friend who is hiking the AT. I plan to hike with this friend over Memorial Day Weekend. He plans to arrive in Erwin on Monday May 28th. Any idea where I could meet him about 2-3 days south of Erwin? According to his book that would be Sam's Gap....but where is a good access point for this part of the trail? Also, is it a tough hike? He is in good shape since he has been hiking for a few months.....me, well, I am in okay shape. Any suggestions?

To sum it up, I am wanting to hike North into Erwin and I need a starting point about 25 miles south of Erwin.

Thanks for any help you guys can give, I really benefit from this site! :)

Jodestick

Alligator
05-14-2007, 08:47
I did Sam's Gap to Erwin as a weekend hike with a buddy of mine. I had been on the trail for the earlier part of the week. I remember us talking about how the hike up to Big Bald was fairly easy, as the trail has a nice grade to it. There's a parking lot off the main highway at Sam's Gap, but I don't think it is easily accessible from the main road. You should be able to get Miss Janet to do any shuttling if you need it.

generoll
05-14-2007, 08:58
The parking lot at Sams Gap is on highway 23 I believe. Easy access from the interstate.

Alligator
05-14-2007, 09:47
My bad then on the road access. Miss J. shuttled us up on a backroad, which was after they completed that section of main hwy. May have been shorter or easier for her I guess.

generoll
05-14-2007, 10:41
There's no off ramp there, you have to get off the interstate at the next exit towards Asheville and backtrack a few miles.

Gray Blazer
05-14-2007, 10:53
There's no off ramp there, you have to get off the interstate at the next exit towards Asheville and backtrack a few miles.Wolf Laurel

Alligator
05-14-2007, 11:36
There's no off ramp there, you have to get off the interstate at the next exit towards Asheville and backtrack a few miles.I see we have different ideas of what easy is:) .

unl1988
05-14-2007, 12:20
Wolf Laurel, Exit #3. There is a great gas station/quick stop there that sells some of the best cookies and cakes I have ever had, stop off there before you go.

The Sam's Gap parking lot is a left hand turn at the stop sign (about 4-5 miles up the road), the gas station is a right hand turn.

jodestick
05-16-2007, 12:40
Thanks for all the info everyone! One more question....I have a few friends who would like to join me on this hike. They are not very experienced...is this a tough section or do you think a newby could handle it? Basically, are there a LOT of PUDS, etc? Just curious. Thanks again for your help!

bigcranky
05-16-2007, 12:43
As a section hiker, I though the climb to Big Bald was kinda stiff. After that it's almost all downhill to Erwin. It should be doable by newbies, just don't rush things.

Marta
05-16-2007, 13:05
There's a lot of elevation change...a long, long uphill grade. But not terribly steep. And there's a great view at the top that is exceptionally rewarding.

Have a good hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

bigcranky
05-16-2007, 18:21
Hey, Marta, didn't you do that climb in the wrong, er, opposite direction? ;)

Marta
05-16-2007, 19:05
Hey, Marta, didn't you do that climb in the wrong, er, opposite direction? ;)

Uh oh. I'm outed. :eek:

I've done it in both directions, actually--most recently slacking from Miss Janet's. That day (2/11/07) I hiked up and down, so I went both the right way and the wrong way. Fabian didn't care. He'll go NOBO, SOBO, whatever.

One of my best-ever hiking memories was section-hiking SOBO two or three years ago, around this time of year. There were acres of spring beauties blooming. An incredible sight.

It's one of my favorite places on the AT.

Marta/Five-Leaf

bigcranky
05-16-2007, 20:40
Yeah, the spring beauties look like snow on the ground in some places. Love 'em.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/springbeauties01.jpg

Happy trails,
--Ken

StarLyte
05-16-2007, 21:24
Yeah, the spring beauties look like snow on the ground in some places. Love 'em.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/springbeauties01.jpg

Happy trails,
--Ken

Great info here, and yes, Janet does take the back road(s).

BigCranky...awesome shot of those spring beauties !

Marta
05-16-2007, 21:29
Thanks for that excellent flower pic, BigCranky!

Poor early NOBOs--they don't get to see the real beauty of the NC/TN mountains in the spring and summer. (I'm a fan of Turk's Cap lilies, too.)

Of course there is something to be said for escaping the area before the poison ivy and stinging nettles really take off.

Marta/Five-Leaf

jodestick
05-16-2007, 23:15
thanks again! i think this will work! awesome picture! my friend is NOBO and he is loving the wildflowers! he started in april. his name is laughtrack if anyone runs into him.

bigcranky
05-17-2007, 20:26
Thanks for the feedback. I think I should point out that the lovely Dragonfly actually shot the spring beauty photos (before she whaps me upside the head). Man, I need to get out for a hike....

Jodestick, have fun. That's a great section.

Rain Man
05-18-2007, 10:53
I did the section from Sam's Gap to Erwin as two day hikes, so can't comment as far as shelters or camping sites. But I would describe the two day hikes as very do-able.

From Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap does have some "mountains" to go over, but no death marching. I did it last Thanksgiving Day with my teenage daughter and our Bolivian exchange student son (also a teenager). We did not push ourselves and although I got to Spivey Gap after dark, it was because of the early sunset that time of year.

From Spivey Gap to Erwin is mostly "downhill" as you lose a lot of elevation. My wife and I did that hike early this April (Easter weekend) on a Saturday. Not bad at all.

Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan