PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to pick apart my JMT gearlist?

TwoForty
05-14-2007, 12:41
I know it's not the AT, but I could use your guy's help ripping it apart. Some weights are estimates. I'll also have 3 lbs of water at any given moment and around 13 lbs of food for the start of a 8.5 day section.

I have to have the bear canister.
I haven't decided on what trailrunners. I'll probably have a Frogg Toggs or Montane rain jacket. The warm jacket will be a Thermawrap or a Micropuff.
For the hiking shirt, I am debating between a long sleeve skin tight Underarmor heat gear shirt for sun protection or a short sleeve wicking shirt. Both should be around 5 ounces.

46 ULA Catalyst pack
3.8 Silny pack cover
33 Moonstone Lucid 20 degree bag
0.8 Silny stuff sack
4.8 Silk sleeping bag liner
19 Ridgerest Deluxe w/ strap
7 Groundcloth
5.4 Tent stakes (10) w/sack
1 Paracord
43 Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 (no stakes)

7 GSI boiler w/ lid, mesh bag
2.8 Plastic cup
0.9 Lighter
0.7 Plastic fork, spoon
7.3 Primus stove
12 Fuel canister
0.7 Pot scrubber

1.4 Platypus (2.4L)
3 Aquamira
0.4 Mesh screen
6.1 Nalgene bottle

3.9 Princeton Tec Aurora
1.2 Knife
1.2 Compass
0.8 Whistle
0.4 Photon light
1.4 Duct tape
2.2 Emergency blanket
5.5 First aid kit
1.2 Nail clippers
0.7 Thread, needle, thimble, glue

2 Toothbrush, toothpaste
1.4 Alcohol gel
1.5 TP
1 Lipbalm
1.9 Plastic trowel
0 Dental floss
1.5 Paper towels
3.2 Garbage bags
1.4 Ziplocks

4 Journal, pen
1.1 Cash, ID cards
2 JMT maps
1.5 Watch
1.8 Sunglasses
??? Black Diamond Flicklock poles
1 Clothing stuff sack
6 Sunscreen
1.9 Bug net
1 Bandana
5.5 Ipod nano
4 Solar charger
9 Canon digital camera
1.8 Dr. Bronners
41 Bearvault 400

16.7 Crocs
6.2 Smart wool socks (2 pair)
1.25 Liner socks
2.8 Patagonia boxers
7 Frogg Toggs pants
??? Rain jacket
5.8 Gloves
2.8 Windproof beanie
8.5 Capilene shirt
7.8 Capilene tights
??? Warm jacket

Worn Clothing
??? Trail runners
3.1 Smart wool socks
1.25 Liner socks
2.8 Patagonia boxers
??? TNF Paramount convertible pants
??? Hiking shirt

paulbrown137
05-14-2007, 12:49
If you are not expecting tons of moisture on your trip go with the frogg toggs over a heavier more durable rain jacket. cheaper, lighter, and the times you do use it, the breathability will be worth it. you can patch with duct tape and junk it if its had it by the end of your trip.

I've worn the micropuff and the thermawrap, but my 8 oz UL Montbell Down Inner is warmer. highly recommended.

I got a pair of BD flicklock poles recently (Enduro CF) and they are very nice.

Pants and Hiking shirt. Go as light as possible. Long sleeve on the shirt is a must for sun protection IMO. I like the Ex officio brand. The air strip light is around 7 oz, full coverage, venting, huge collar. get white.

i also like the Ex officio Amphi convert. pants.

RedneckRye
05-14-2007, 13:28
Ditch the Crocs, replace that pound with about a pint of bug spray.

TomScanlan
05-14-2007, 16:45
I'd swap the pen for a pencil, remove the mesh screen (I suppose it is for filtering water, which can be done pretty well with the bandana), drop the cup and just use your pot, or water bottle for drinking, and finally I'd trade the knife for something with scissors and drop the nail clippers. Do you really need TP and paper towels, or am I beeing too picky now :)

Ah... and add something for firestarting (how are you going to light the stove)?

mweinstone
05-14-2007, 17:06
i didnt read your post. heres my comment.: your hair sucks your nails suck your zippers suck your friends suck your ice cream man sucks your toy volano sucks your congressman sucks your harvester sucks your pet sucks your frying pan sucks your hot water sucks your ciggeret paper sucks your ice cream sucks your lawer sucks your buttons suck your junk mail sucks your girlfriends hip replacment sucks your newspaper sucks your coffie sucks your car sucks your first pair of shoes sucks your golf game sucks your boat sucks your driveway sucks your trashcan sucks your glovebox sucks your gutters suck your copy of the movie blade sucks your skin sucks your left eyebrow sucks your sink sucks your gascap sucks your pocketknife sucks your hubcap sucks your first grade teachers left pinky sucks your uncles neighbor sucks,.........your gears prolly fine. good luck!

MOWGLI
05-14-2007, 17:10
I didn't see a floppy hat on your list. The sun is intense, so I would definitely think about carrying some kind of bucket hat.

TomScanlan
05-14-2007, 17:54
I didn't see a floppy hat on your list. The sun is intense, so I would definitely think about carrying some kind of bucket hat.

And that might help out with the bug netting too... don't want the net pressed against your skin.

TomScanlan
05-14-2007, 17:58
i didnt read your post. heres my comment.: your hair sucks .... your uncles neighbor sucks,.........your gears prolly fine. good luck!

Your suck sucks butt your gonna beat great. Love Matty ;)

MOWGLI
05-14-2007, 19:02
Ditch the Crocs, replace that pound with about a pint of bug spray.

I didn't find the bugs to be that bad in August. They are apparently much worse in June & July. I'm sure it varies from year to year, but August tends to be drier, which means less bugs. I used a small amount of Ben's 30% DEET. Less than 3 ounces as I recall.

RedneckRye
05-14-2007, 20:13
I was on the JMT portion of the PCT during June and July. Yep there were skeeters. Lots and lots of skeeters. Also enough snow and snowmelt and creek crossings that there was no use in changing out of shoes to Crocs to try to stay dry. The shoes were wet and stayed that way. If I needed to walk more than several steps around camp, I just slipped gallon ziplocks over my socks and put my shoes back on.
Later in the season, conditions are probably different.

TwoForty
05-14-2007, 20:48
Yeah, I forgot I have a Columbia bucket hat with some nice mesh on it too. I'll be calling it a floppy hate from now on though.

My stove has a piezo lighter, but I think I included a bic in my list.

Weldman
05-14-2007, 23:15
Items that you can replace with oven bag liners instead- Silnylon bag or stuff sack for your moonstone or clothes . Oven liner bags weigh just about nothing and will keep your gear dry. Also a garbage bag as a pack cover.

Also Nalgene bottle can be replaced by 32 oz soda or gatorade bottle, if you need a bigger one for purifing water use a 1/2 gal Cran-grape rectanglar bottle.

Extra tip- you can spray your clothes with Repel-Permanone before hand to help fight off the bugs- it last 2wks.

Marta
05-15-2007, 06:17
TwoForty--When are you starting? NOBO or SOBO? I'm heading SOBO, starting July 25th.

Marta/Five-Leaf

TwoForty
05-15-2007, 11:55
TwoForty--When are you starting? NOBO or SOBO? I'm heading SOBO, starting July 25th.

Marta/Five-Leaf
I'm heading east on the High Sierra Trail on June 14th. I'll probably be leaving the Whitney zone north on the JMT around June 21 or 22. We'll probably miss each other.
I will be hanging around Yosemite for about a week doing the tourist thing.

Marta
05-15-2007, 11:57
Sounds like a terrific trip!

Marta/Five-Leaf