PDA

View Full Version : 10 Year Old Backpacker...

MtnBikerGuy
05-14-2007, 12:42
Just thought I would solicit some ideas. I have taken my son on two backpacking trips and he loves it. He is not into Boy Scouts, so I am teaching him all the little things to make sure he is safe and how to stop and use his head. I am asking for one or two things you would make sure a 10 yr old knows in the woods. First thing I ever taught him when he was about 4-5 years old was to always carry a whistle and to sit still if he gets lost and just blow the wistle 3 times every few minutes. Any other ideas would be great as him and I continue the father/son backpacking teaching. Thanks to all in the White Blaze community!

hammock engineer
05-14-2007, 12:50
I would slowly get him doing all of the things for himself, or at least helping you. Include him on planning, packing, and picking out a route. Let him lead if you can. Have him help and eventually start the campfire by himself, setup camp, cook, or whatever else.

I don't have kids, but this is along the lines of what I enjoyed growing up. I also try to do this when I take new people along.

SteveJ
05-14-2007, 13:05
Just thought I would solicit some ideas. I have taken my son on two backpacking trips and he loves it. He is not into Boy Scouts, so I am teaching him all the little things to make sure he is safe and how to stop and use his head. I am asking for one or two things you would make sure a 10 yr old knows in the woods. First thing I ever taught him when he was about 4-5 years old was to always carry a whistle and to sit still if he gets lost and just blow the wistle 3 times every few minutes. Any other ideas would be great as him and I continue the father/son backpacking teaching. Thanks to all in the White Blaze community!

Even if he's not in Scouts, you could get him a Boy Scout handbook, and work with him on the information there....for example, we teach the boys the STOP principle if they get lost in the woods (Stay calm, Think about how you got there, Observe your surroundings, Plan on how you're getting out)... The book is structured in a great way so that you're building on info and skills throughout.... You could also look at some of the outdoors oriented merit badges ( http://www.meritbadge.com/ ): hiking, backpacking, camping, first aid....all the info you need to teach these skills can be found in the merit badge books the BSA would be happy to sell to you!

Have fun!

littlelaurel59
05-14-2007, 13:11
FIRST AID!

My son, a Life Scout, and I frequently hike together. He has learned, and now helps me teach basic first aid skills to the younger scouts. I often play the "what if" game while we are out: What would you do if you found me in a cold, pale sweat, clutching my chest? What would you do if I fell and broke my leg and couldn't walk. Etc.

ALL of us need to know how to respond to emergency situations in the outdoors, miles from help (Where it is more complicated than "Call 911" or "Go get help"). Proper responses can save lives. It could be YOUR life he saves someday.

Moon Monster
05-14-2007, 13:41
If I had 10 years old all over again, I would read lots of books on geology, trees, insects, plants, astronomy, American history, and the like to really learn the woods and outdoors. You really soak that stuff up at that age and hold on to the info better than when older. It's more visceral than abstract at that age. I wish I could regain that perspective. I am working on my second graduate degree and I have never learned (really learned) as well as when I was in 4th-5th grade.

txulrich
05-14-2007, 14:39

I would definately start with basic first aid and knots. You can expand this as you go to include more advanced stuff. I would also teach him fire building skills and woodtools (knife, axe and saw) safety. These are all the building blocks that everyone needs to know so that he doesn't hurt himself and can eventually render aid to someone who does.

I second the idea of the scout handbook. It is such a great resource, and who knows, maybe he'll even want to join a troop someday.

I would also second the idea of including him in all of the planning, but also in all of the cleanup. It's important that he learn to take care of his gear.

briarpatch
05-14-2007, 15:01
I started teaching my sons how to use a map and compass at about that age. Whenever we would stop for a rest break, we would break out the map and compass and figure out our location, how far we had come, and how far to our destination. If we were on a mountain peak, we would practice compass sighting on recognizable landmarks and use triangulation to pinpoint where we were. Then we would talk about bailout points with the intent of picking the best/closest side trail or main trail for getting to help, if needed.

ShakeyLeggs
05-14-2007, 15:10
I agree with everthing posted here. I would also and have done with my son's teach them how to make a rudimentry shelter and how to find water.

But the big things are make sure that they know when lost to stop moving and not panic. I never let my son's go in the woods alone until I felt they had mastered tha basics of survival I.E. fire building, finding water, finding shelter.
To this day they never go in the woods without a bailout plan in place.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2007, 16:32
I suggest you contact the parents from this journal -- they know exactly what a 10 yo boy needs to know to backpack: http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=3002

BigwaveDave
05-14-2007, 16:40
First aid, shelter aka knots, water, compass and map reading skills. Hammock eng. has a good idea working him up to more and more responsibility. Your son will do fine. When I was a scout my Assistant Scout Master had done time as a Rhodesian soldier, we all had to carry "bail out bags" which we carried at all times, basis stuff, fire starter, compass, pocho liner, candy bar, S.A.knife, thin cord, whistle. It didn't weigh anything to speak of and we were taught how to use it. Even when we were on hikes if we took our pack off it stayed with us. When we were in camp or wandering around it stayed with us. Seems it was a trick he learned over there during the uprising, in case anything ever happened and you had to bail, you had the basics to survive. I still use the same principle on any hike only I carry it in a fanny pack. Is it overkill on the AT? If he's ever out of your site hiking ahead, etc probably not. Point is since your son is young fix him up one, he'll probably like carrying around the tools of the trade, I remember we were all proud of ours. Didn't mean to get off point.
BWD
"Not all who wander are lost"

ShaneP
05-14-2007, 16:58
Let him make mistakes. Keep him from dying, of course, but let him forget something important. It will be a lesson better taught.

S

Yahtzee
05-14-2007, 20:25
I have read reports of S&R's where the person was blowing a whistle but when the sound travelled it mixed in with the natural ambient sound and went unnoticed. They suggested buy a whistle with a distinct annoying sound or bang on metal. They said banging on metal was best for locating a lost person.

So maybe tell him to bang on his cook pot.

Good luck.

gold bond
05-15-2007, 10:18
You would really benefit from the Boy Scout "field book" which goes along with the scout handbook just a little more advanced. The wilderness survival merit badge handbook is as well as great resource and can be found on line as well.
Knots, compass skills as well as GPS basics. Basic fire building skills as well as stove safety and maintance. The seven princables of LNT are great basics. The camping merit badge book has all the skills in it.
Good look and savour every minute being in the outdoors with your son....mines growing up way to fast!

mudhead
05-15-2007, 10:58
Good on the sit down and wait. Stuff I would think about:

Pressure points to stop bleeding in extremities.

Morse SOS. Easy to remember, s is short.

Half-hitch. Bowline with eyes closed.

Leaves of three- leave them be...

rhjanes
05-15-2007, 11:13
suggest map reading skills. look for Orienteering also! It's a fun sport and will teach very DETAILED map reading, how to keep from getting lost, how to get found.

However, the whistle and also "hug a tree". Find some water, and sit and wait for help. the last most public "lost" kid, didn't stay in one place. If he had, he might have been found a day earlier.

redredrose
05-15-2007, 11:53
PassionPhish and I are looking forward to an AT thru-hike beginning March, 2008 and his 10 year old, LittlePhish, is talking about joining us in the excursion. Parts of it at least. The first thing I'd want LittlePhish to know is NOT TO GET LOST. Never needing the whistle is much better than blowing it 3 short blasts every few minutes or so. Keep up with your hiking partner; don't get out of sight; and take someone into the woods with you are the first things I'd want to teach a newby.

Good luck on your expedition with your little one.

gold bond
05-15-2007, 12:18
It is ironic, borderline fasinating in a way.....all the skills being listed in this thread are the skills that a scout learns in a troop setting as a Tenderfoot!

The young man is not much into scouting though....just the "basic" skills that scouting teach's on a daily basis in an average troop anywhere USA.

Intresting! He loves the outdoors, hiking,etc all the things scouting is about...scouting is outing!

I would be intrested to know what the young man "doesen't" like about scouting!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2007, 12:33
Since no one else has suggested it - see Just Jeff's hiking with kids page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html)

jesse
05-15-2007, 16:25
He is too young for Boy Scouts. I would suggest next year visiting a Boy Scout troop. Find one that is into backpacking, or help a teach troop how its done. I take my now 13 yo backpacking and camping. I can teach him a lot of things, but I can not teach him teamwork. This is probably the best thing he gets from scouts.

The Cheat
05-15-2007, 16:57
He is too young for Boy Scouts. I would suggest next year visiting a Boy Scout troop. Find one that is into backpacking, or help a teach troop how its done. I take my now 13 yo backpacking and camping. I can teach him a lot of things, but I can not teach him teamwork. This is probably the best thing he gets from scouts.

I'm trying hard not to turn this into an attempt to convince him to join Scouting....but..... Anyway, he is too young for Boy Scouts (unless he has crossed over from Webelos, which I am assuming he hasn't). If he's in fourth grade, or entering fifth, please consider Webelos (Cub Scouts) and then boy scouts.

Here's the Webelos Outdoorsman requirements:

OUTDOORSMAN (Required for Arrow of Light) Do two of these:

Present yourself to your Webelos den leader, properly dressed, as you would be for an overnight campout. Show the camping gear you will use. Show the right way to pack and carry it.
With your family or Webelos den, help plan and take part in an evening outdoor activity that includes a campfire.
With your parent or guardian, take part in a Webelos den overnight campout or a family campout. Sleep in a tent that you have helped pitch.
With your parent or guardian, camp overnight with a Boy Scout troop. Sleep in a tent that you have helped pitch.And do five of these: <LI value=5>During a Webelos den meeting, discuss how to follow the Leave No Trace (http://geocities.com/~pack215/leave-no-trace.html) Frontcountry Guidelines during outdoor activities (See Webelos Handbook, page 72.)
Participate in an outdoor conservation project with your Webelos den or a Boy Scout troop.
Discuss with your Webelos den leader the rules of outdoor fire safety. Using these rules, show how to build a safe fire and put it out.
With your accompanying adult on a campout or outdoor activity, assist in preparing, cooking, and cleanup for one of your den's meals. Tell why it is important for each den member to share in meal preparation and cleanup, and explain the importance of eating together.
Discuss with your Webelos den leader the things that you need to take on a hike. Go on one 3-mile hike with your Webelos den or a Boy Scout troop.
Demonstrate how to whip and fuse the ends of a rope.
Demonstrate setting up a tent or dining fly using two half hitches and a taut-line hitch. Show how to tie a square knot and explain how it is used.
Visit a nearby Boy Scout camp with your Webelos den.
Sounds like a good start for a 10 year old to me.

p.s. in the interest of full disclosure: my son got his arrow of light in March, he's working on tenderfoot now with this new troop. He turned 11 four days ago.

Brrrb Oregon
05-15-2007, 16:57
"Brennan Hawkins, an 11 year-old boy scout, survived four days alone in the woods in June 2005, after he went missing from a Scout Camp in Utah. He suffered from minor dehydration and had a few scrapes when he was finally found by rescuers, but was otherwise fine. Rescuers had trouble finding Brennan because he was frightened of the rescuers and hid from them because he "didn't know if they were scary people." An important lesson to remember is that when you're lost in the woods and have no food, the rescuers who are trying to find you are seldom scary." (from the internet....sorry, I didn't save the link.)

A boy was also lost on an outing near Crater Lake in Oregon not long ago, and was never found. He took off from a parking lot for a self-initiated game of hide and seek. His parents couldn't find him, and so eventually called in help. The rescuers never found him, either. He was extremely wary of strangers and prided himself at being good at hiding. (I don't remember whether or not he had developmental issues, as well.)

In other words, you should take a few minutes to clarify how waiting to be found or getting help for you when you are down fits into all your child has already learned about "stranger danger", too. I've taught my kids that for every two dangerous people that might try to bother them, there are 98 people who will protect a kid, even a stranger's kid, and 20 who will be the first in line to go out of their way to do it. They ought take any help they can get from the 98, when they have the chance. If they don't have a choice, and you're approaching them (rather than the other way around) or they somehow know your name or your family code word, the most likely bet is that you're dealing with one of the 98. Nevertheless, the best course of action is to not lose your hiking partner in the first place, at least not until you are old enough to choose to hike alone!

Besides that, I'd teach him how to react when he runs into large wildlife, and especially what to do if they don't act as he expects.

In short, go over lots of scenarios with him and encourage a well-founded belief that if he keeps his head he will be equipped to do quite well, even if some freak bad luck should come his way.

On the Scout thing: I am just reminded of this because of a memory one of my relatives had about seeing their local Scout group out hiking. For some reason, these troops seemed to have a real "get there" attitude. Every one of them kept his eyes trained on the guy in front of him. Nobody was looking around at the spectacular scenery in every other direction. Teach your son to remind himself often to enjoy the reasons you go hiking in the first place: nature and each other.

Nechochwen
05-15-2007, 16:59
I start everyone off the same way. Using the outdoor essentials. THE twelve (12) items you must have no matter what your activity in the wilderness. Map, Compass, Pocket Knife, Flashlight, First Aid Kit, Fire Starter, Clothing, Food, Water and Water Purification, Insect Repelent, Sun Protection and Signaling Device (whistle, mirror, etc). Probably the majority of which were included in Dave's Bail-out Bag.

In fact, I am currently teaching these same principles, one at a time to an adult hiking group. Many of whom should know these things already, but don't.

I would start with each item, and expand the lesson to include the how-to's of each. These are not necessarily in order of importance, it's just MY list.

By the way, my list is not original and I will readily admit to stealing it and massaging it to my own needs (thanks to the BSA, REI and several other outdoor sources).

The Boy Scouts of America has numerous publications which you will find helpful, many of which were named previously. There are also several good BSA adult leader guides that will help you improve your own skills AND teach them to others. Their publications cover the gamit and all age groups. I absolutely concur with others that recommended the BSA as a source of good youth oriented information.

Lilred
05-15-2007, 17:00
It is ironic, borderline fasinating in a way.....all the skills being listed in this thread are the skills that a scout learns in a troop setting as a Tenderfoot!

The young man is not much into scouting though....just the "basic" skills that scouting teach's on a daily basis in an average troop anywhere USA.

Intresting! He loves the outdoors, hiking,etc all the things scouting is about...scouting is outing!

My son didn't like scouts either. He said all they do is sit around and talk about camping, I think he went on one camping trip. Can't get him out hiking either :(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2007, 21:07
As Lilred notes, not all Scout troops camp and hike. My stepson was in one that never went. He hated it and quit as soon as his mom would let him.

strnorm
05-15-2007, 23:35
teach him how to survive, plus get him a good cell phone and a gps:-?

gold bond
05-16-2007, 09:37
Unforunatley there are units that are not as active as they should be. BSA only requires 10 nights of camping a year...how sad! Some leaders jobs just won't let them get away on the weekends as much as others.

Should you have a son in scouting or know of someone who does and their units are not as active as they would like, urge them to call the local council office and get a list of units in your area. Call or visit them and find which one is right for what your looking for.

Our unit camps minimum of one weekend per month and at least one community service project per month (which is usually working at the church!) This does not include OA activities as well as at least 7 of our guys are on the OA Native American Dance, Drum/Sing Team.

We try and work in one hike, one rock climbing/repelling, one whitewater rafting trip,and one snow camping/skiing trip per year. Of course the boys do all the planning per year on camping and activities so it can get very intresting! Our April camping trip was a deep sea fishing trip! it was fun. This as well is combined with our week long summer camp, this year at Rainey Mountain.

We as well do a fifty miler hiking trip every year over Easter break and have half our boys going to either Sea Base or Philmont this year...Guess which one I'm doing! I'll be doing a 69 miler with my son...I can't wait!

We have already made our reservations for '08 at Northern Tere and have a group going to Philmont in '08. We took 12 out of our troop to National Jamboree and have at least 16 intrested for 2010 and take all our boys in the OA to NOAC when it comes around.

Some parents say we "do to much" Well can't please 'em all! We do have 64 boys in our troop though...14 Eagles this year alone!

Cookerhiker
05-16-2007, 10:04

I'm glad you brought this up. I resolved that if I had a son, I'd encourage him to join the Scouts but only after I had checked out the troop thoroughly beforehand. Since I only had daughters, I never had to address this.

Why? I acknowledge all the valuable outdoor skills and experience that Scouts present to boys. Certainly without Scouts which gave me my first and only camping experiences as a child and teen, I can't say I'd be as comfortable outdoors as I am today. And I still use my nearly-50 year-old sauce pan when backpacking.

But my memories of my Scout experience are mixed at best. What's negative is all the bullying and military stuff. Granted that was 45-50 years ago, but it seemed we had a lot of young adult leaders who (in those days of the draft when everyone served) enjoyed imposing a gung-ho basic training approach on outings and summer camp. They acted like a bunch of frustrated drill sergeants, probably trying to compensate for being kicked themselves when they served. There were also the so-called initiation rites which I could have accepted if fairly and equitable applied (they weren't) and the general bullying. Even though we supposedly-mature adults let time heal our wounds (especially those from childhood), there's one guy from my troop that I swear if I met him today after 45 years, I'd punch him in the mouth.

Sure it's hard to manage a bunch of junior high emerging adolescents with varying levels of testosterone but I felt our troop leaders could have done a better job at curbing the excesses and instilling respect which is supposedly the Boy Scout way.

I'd like to think that times have changed and current Boy Scout leaders are more enlightened. And again, I affirm that the Scouts outdoor experience is valuable and in this day and age, may constitute the only first-hand exposure to the environment for today's suburban kids.

SteveJ
05-16-2007, 11:19
<clip> I'd like to think that times have changed and current Boy Scout leaders are more enlightened. And again, I affirm that the Scouts outdoor experience is valuable and in this day and age, may constitute the only first-hand exposure to the environment for today's suburban kids.

The local unit is only as good as the leadership of the unit. I have 3 sons - grudgingly got involved when my oldest was in the 2nd grade and the pack was falling apart - went from relatively uninvolved parent to Cubmaster. Went to every training that was offered, monthly roundtables, etc. Oldest is now 19 (dropped out of Scouts when he was 14), 17 y.o. just made Eagle, and youngest crossed over into troop in December (already 2nd class!). I'm the Troop Committee Chair.

We were discussing why we're as involved as we are in the troop at our last troop committee meeting. It boiled down to 3 things for most of us: making sure the program offered to our sons is as good as it can be so they get the most out of the program, to have an influence on boys that really need our influence, and to give back and support the program that had an influence on us as youth.

When you're visiting troops, I'd ask the following questions:
1) Can you have a copy of the troop calendar?
2) How is the troop calendar put together - boys or adults?
3) How is the troop run? (Baden-Powell, loosely quoted: "...if it's not the patrol method, it's not Scouting....)
4) How many of the adult leaders have been trained as Scoutmasters / Committee members?
5) Have any adult leaders been awarded Wood Badge recognition?

We had one dad join the troop a couple of years ago that had run his son's webelos patrol like a D.I. He didn't last very long with us... Hazing and intimidation (by boys or adults) are strictly against BSA policy, and we strictly enforce this policy in our troop....

SteveJ
05-16-2007, 11:21
<clip> This as well is combined with our week long summer camp, this year at Rainey Mountain. <clip>

Hi, Gold bond. What week are you going to be at Rainey? We're going up on June 10th.....

Dancer
05-16-2007, 13:28
Whatever you teach him, teach him on the trail and don't involve alot of manuals and written materials. 10 year old boys want to be outside and active. If it gets too much like school or lessons you may alienate him. Teach him as you go and you would probably be surprised what he has picked up by watching. Quality time with you is the most important part right now.

Marta
05-16-2007, 19:38
There have been a lot of good suggestions already posted here.

When my boys were that age, their favorite outdoor things were 1) using knives and 2) building fires. (Eating special foods like s'mores and hobo dinners ranked right up there, too.) I let them do the work, casually observing and giving "knife safety" and "fire safety" lessons as the situation warranted.

Marta/Five-Leaf

mudhead
05-16-2007, 19:49
Whatever you teach him, teach him on the trail and don't involve alot of manuals and written materials. 10 year old boys want to be outside and active. If it gets too much like school or lessons you may alienate him. Teach him as you go and you would probably be surprised what he has picked up by watching. Quality time with you is the most important part right now.

I would say this holds true for boys over 40...

sarbar
05-16-2007, 20:58
You are all forgetting the most important part of being 10:

Bring the kids Gameboy or similar device if they have one. It will save your sanity as you attempt to do everything, and get them out of your hair for an hour a day. Yeah, you can all throw rocks at me, but that Gameboy (and now a Nintendo DS Lite) has saved my sanity. It also gives the boy time away from me, and keeps him out of trouble when I am trying to set up camp.

My son has been backpacking with me since he was 5 or so. He is nearing 10 now. He goes on at least a dozen trips a year. Thing is, he is doing what I love, so I figure he can do something he loves also. It is boring for him at night when it is all adults and just him. So off to the tent when it gets cold/dark and he can chill out.

That and letting them have input on the food you guys bring :)

(On a side note, we left our Cub Scout Troop because all they did was paper pushing activities! Agh!)

weary
05-16-2007, 21:59
The most critical thing to teach a 10-year-old is how to read a map and use a compass.

But it is also useful to try to get him interested in his surroundings -- the names of plants, how to see and identify birds and animals, names of mountains, -- anything interesting along the trails.

Avoid the "green tunnel" syndrome if possible. The tunnel is a fascinating place if you know and appreciate the diversity of life within that tunnel.

Weary

gold bond
05-17-2007, 06:04
Steve I think we are up there that same week. I will check for sure! I will not be there as I will be with our contingent at Philmont. Rainey Mnt is vey good. Their staff is good and alot of high adventure things to do. This is our 2nd year there!

mudhead
05-17-2007, 08:37
You are all forgetting the most important part of being 10:

Bring the kids Gameboy or similar device if they have one. It will save your sanity as you attempt to do everything, and get them out of your hair for an hour a day. Yeah, you can all throw rocks at me, but that Gameboy (and now a Nintendo DS Lite) has saved my sanity. It also gives the boy time away from me, and keeps him out of trouble when I am trying to set up camp.

My son has been backpacking with me since he was 5 or so. He is nearing 10 now. He goes on at least a dozen trips a year. Thing is, he is doing what I love, so I figure he can do something he loves also. It is boring for him at night when it is all adults and just him. So off to the tent when it gets cold/dark and he can chill out.

That and letting them have input on the food you guys bring :)

(On a side note, we left our Cub Scout Troop because all they did was paper pushing activities! Agh!)

They also don't go to sleep as early. Your young man may be about ready for a "partner in crime." Someone to share the snot jokes with...

sarbar
05-17-2007, 11:10
They also don't go to sleep as early. Your young man may be about ready for a "partner in crime." Someone to share the snot jokes with...
Not many kids can hike like him though. The problem with starting kids hiking at 9 or 10 is they are way behind kids that started at 4 ;) Last weekend I brought a newbie mom and son (who was Ford's age) and while the boys had a ton of fun in camp, the boy had a hard time hiking in. 5 miles of flat land was very hard for him. Give him a year of hard hiking, and Ford will have a buddy. Hopefully!
Thankfully my kid rarely questions why we go where we do, and just plods along beside me. Starting them young means they don't question why they have to go :cool:

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2007, 11:50
The most important thing is that he enjoy hiking. As far as teaching him, what does he seem interested in? Since he's ten, ask him what he would like to learn about.

jesse
05-17-2007, 12:10
I disagree with the gameboy. Our troop does not allow them, neither do I when its just me and my son. Kids spend way too much time being entertained with electronics. I like to keep the outdoors free from all of that. Anyway just my opinion

TN_Hiker
05-17-2007, 14:20
I will accept the argument of needing a cell phone for emergencies, but a gameboy??? Absolutely no way. The woods is no place for electronic games.

sarbar
05-17-2007, 16:08
Guys, I'll say this: you might disagree with Gameboys and the like, but if you expect a kid to do what you love doing, and to do it often 3-4 weeks every month, year round, there will be a tradeoff.

Add in that my son has Aesperger Syndrome, and he needs quiet time to relax. When we hike, it is rarely with my husband, so I do all the jobs: setting up camp, making dinner, getting water, tearing down camp, packing packs, etc. You try dealing with a kid that has a a high IQ and will get into trouble in the blink of an eye. Yeah, you give the kid something to occupy their time for 30 minutes. It gives me time to relax and not have to worry. AS kids tend to start getting high strung if you take away all their normal structures.

The kid we brought along last weekend has AS as well. Yes, the kids played together, but also sat on a log playing their DS's together. They had soemthing to bond over.

And most of all? 1 kid along with 2-6 adults is boring for the kid. If we were on trips with other kids, maybe not, then you have built in entertainment. But you think that kid cares about what us adults are talking about? Nope. He is bored. That boy puts in hard miles often, and I reward him for it. This summer he is hiking a large chunk of the PCT in Washington State with me. I will be bringing that DS Lite, and a solar charger. He will be putting in 15+ mile days as well. He should get something for that. Heck, I bring my Nano with me, so why shouldn't he have a toy? If he carries it, I don't mind.

This is a shot of my son last summer, on a cross country backpacking trip at Mt. Rainier. He put in a couple thousand feet gain and many miles that day:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Cross%20Country/Library-1397.jpg
And yes, that is a Gameboy in his hands.

TN_Hiker
05-17-2007, 16:34
I stand corrected.....it's my foot and I will do what I want to with it. Anybody know a good recipe for crow?

sarbar
05-17-2007, 16:52
Don't worry, I understand though why many parents wouldn't take devices. And I can understand why a Troop wouldn't want them. ($100 a device....getting thrown in a mud hole? It'd happen ;)