PDA

View Full Version : Jacket Recommendations

trippclark
05-14-2007, 16:04
I am looking for recommendations for a shell jacket. First a little background . . .

My primary rain protection/solution when hiking is an umbrella. Since discovering how wonderfully this works for me (YMMV) some 5 or 6 years ago I have only once had the need for a rain jacket while hiking and that was when I pulled a bone-headed move and allowed my umbrella to get broken. On that occassion, I turned to my 3 OZ. GoLite Wisp windshirt, but it was soaked through in under an hour.

Since this episode, I decided that I needed to invest in a jacket to replace the Wisp windshirt in my pack . . . something a bit more waterproof (and hopefully breathable) that will serve for backup raingear to the umbrella for when hiking, and primary raingear when in camp and doing chores that require both hands. It will also serve as an outer layer for wind/warmth as needed. I am not anxious to add weight to my pack, so of course I'd like the selected jacket to be as close to the 3 oz it will be replacing as possible.

The rain jacket that I was using before I adopted the umbrella is 12 oz, and I could go back to that, but I am hoping to find somthing a bit lighter.

Some ideas I am considering . . .

Frogg Toggs jacket - I don't find a weight and I think that you have to buy a whole set not just the jacket

O2 Rainshield Jacket (style 1001) - 5.6 oz. - have never actually seen this jacket but weight is favorable - this is picky, perhaps, but the color (bright yellow) is not exactly LNT friendly - at $30 it is priced nicely

Golite Virga - 8 oz - $80

Blissful
05-14-2007, 16:20
Rain jackets stink when hiking. You are either too cold and clammy or too hot and sweaty. My son opted for his umbrella when he hikes and loves it (he wants to get the Go Lite umbrella now). I opted for being clammy, cold, hot and sweaty in my Precip after almost getting hypothermic when racing to a shelter in pouring rain in my short sleeve shirt. Though I will probably be better in the summer weather going without a jacket when hiking.

FanaticFringer
05-14-2007, 16:39
You can buy the Frogg Togg jacket by itself here. Price is right:
http://search.stores.ebay.com/thegearlessmachine_frogg-toggs_W0QQftsZ2QQsaselZ30061046QQsatitleZfroggQ20t oggsQQsofpZ0

Smudge
05-14-2007, 17:26
I like my Precip a lot. It served me very well for three years doing sections of the Cornish Coastpath in sunny Southwest England(:rolleyes:) Pit zips and a flap in the back. There are more breathable jackets around, but I don't any that will keep you dryer...

Nightwalker
05-14-2007, 19:00
I like my Precip a lot. It served me very well for three years doing sections of the Cornish Coastpath in sunny Southwest England(:rolleyes:) Pit zips and a flap in the back. There are more breathable jackets around, but I don't any that will keep you dryer...

I agree with you. Best all-around jacket that I've had.

Kerosene
05-14-2007, 20:52
Frogg Toggs jacket weighs in at 9 ounces, size Medium.