PDA

View Full Version : Resupply in Big Island

HIPOCKETS
05-14-2007, 18:16
I am thinking about resupplying at Big Island. Is this the best place between Roanoke and Waynesboro? It looks like there is a campstore at a campground before you get to Big Island is it possible to resupply there?

Yahtzee
05-14-2007, 20:19
Most hikers head in the other direction when crossing the James and head to Glasgow. Little supermarket, a hotel, laundry. Takes a hitch, but so does Big Island.

Was taken to Big Island by a great family, the Moreheads, who treated me and my crew like family. Beautiful daughter as well. Weeks later in MD a member of our crew who jumped off in VA appeared in a shelter. He told stories of lounging by a lake fishing while we sweated and hiked. Also told a story about going to a baseball game with a girl who mentioned her parents had brought hikers home. Her name: Charlene Morehead. Small, small world.

Anywho, Big Island/Glasgow is either or. And that is about the only convenient place to resupply before Waynesboro. If you are in a bind, hit the Dutch Haus off Montebello Rd. Good peeps and they serve food.

ScottP
05-14-2007, 21:32
Big Island and Glasgow are terrible resupplies and tough hitches.

Yahtzee
05-14-2007, 21:45
It is a tough hitch into Glasgow cos there is no real spot on the other side of the road to stand. Each time I've gone thru tho I haven't too much trouble getting a hitch in. Getting out is another story.

Not sure why Glasgow is terrible for resupply. It has two decent grocery stores, a restaurant, laundry and, if you can find it, a bar. It certainly ain't a typical trail town, but it works.

Got a ride out of there from a very strange man we all suspected was a pedophile. Talked about God and demons and needing to be away from people before he hurt them. He was looking for a camp that would not ask who he was. Had a bunch of daycare flyers about in his car. We put two and two together.

When we got out of the van (had to be a van, right?) we all looked at each other and in true Big Lebowski fashion all said, "Pederast".

Oh well, that just popped into my mind and thought I'd share.

Big Island/Glasgow-- either way, eat well before you climb out of the James. The corkscrew will getchya.

MarcnNJ
05-15-2007, 01:02
Last year a nice man was doing shuttles to Big Island when we got across the James. It was a little weird he knew my name and asked about my ankle, but perhaps he was following my trail journal. He informed us the resturant in Glasgow had shut down, and resupply was just as good (bad really) in Big Island. The gas station resupply in Big Island had enough to get me to Waynesboro, but it was probably my worst resupply along the way. Luckily, we got Heineken mini-kegs to offset the lack of food choices...

http://trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=165675

ScottP
05-15-2007, 09:21
Yeah, a lot can change in a couple years.

I still shudder at climbing the priest and three ridges on the same day with only wheat thins and honeybuns to eat *shudder*

Yahtzee
05-15-2007, 09:34
Thanks for correcting my mistake about the restaurant.

But if groceries are what you need and Big Island is shallow in that area, I would go to Glasgow with its two grocery stores.