PDA

View Full Version : Tent Areas?

AlbertaHiker23
05-15-2007, 01:17
If somebody carries a solo tent with them the entire hike, would it be neccesary to schedule distance between stops? Is there specific areas designated for tents along the trail? Or can I setup my tent anywhere I want?

Lone Wolf
05-15-2007, 02:12
i set up where ever i want, so yeah, throw down where ever

attroll
05-15-2007, 02:34
There are designated spots that the ATC would like you to use, but in a squeeze you have to use what is available.

Marta
05-15-2007, 06:08
There are a few areas that are restricted for one reason or another, usually because they are in heavy use and have fragile vegetation, or because there is a public water source nearby. These zones are marked on the maps and there are usually signs along the Trail saying something like "Camping prohibited for the next 1/4 mile." Along the whole length of the Trail, finding a legal site is only a factor a few times.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Peaks
05-15-2007, 07:13
There are limitations on where you can tent in the Smokies, Shenadoah, and White Mountains. Likewise, some other areas as well, primarily on private property. And, don't forget no camping in the Cumberland Valley of PA

bigcranky
05-15-2007, 08:11
There are lots of well-used campsites along the AT. After a while you'll learn to expect them in certain places (trail junctions, saddles, false summits, some creek crossings, etc.). There are also long stretches of trail where it would be difficult to set up a tent, which explains why those existing campsites are there in the first place. Aside from legal issues in very specific places, you can pretty much camp where you like -- just be aware that the terrain isn't always favorable.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2007, 08:17
Eventually there will be no camping allowed anywhere without the approved permits and the necessary reservations made to the pertinent authorities. Have cash available also for lawyer fees and bail when caught camping at the millions of campsites not designated or permitted.

While new roads are cut around the trail, the whole AT becomes a linear park surrounded by sprawl, car traffic and the cursed noise of motocycles. As this non-regulated blight continues the lowly backpacker will eventually be swamped with a blanket of Rules. No dogs allowed(Smokies). No overnight camping permitted(large parts of the Mountains to Sea Trail). Permits and surveillance by "ridge runners"(Smokies). Money needed for overnight backpacking permits and reservations(many Western parks).

Here's a relevant satirical essay hoped to be entertaining and written in one of my old trail journals:

"My work with the National Park Service has resulted in a written paper jointly published entitled "Regulating Back Packaging Within a 24 Hour Cycle to Encourage By Law One Hour Load Bearing Locomotion as now Permitted and Allowed by the US Forest Service with any Individual Exceeding Said Limit Subject to Fines, Vehicle Seizure, Equipment Forgeiture and Mandatory Jail Time."
"It's a law and it works for everyone."

"Forest Rangers will now be running hourly helicopter flights over every wilderness area to spot excessive hiking or camping. The first infraction will be warning shots fired by onboard marksmen. An effective deterrent is now being developed for repeat violators and is called the PONDS or Pinpoint Napalm Delivery System. It shows great results with grizzly bears and American Bison and soon will be available in all FS helicopter rocket pods."

"Without taxpayer's money, this and other gestapo tactics like clearcutting and road building could not continue. Remember the Forest Service motto: "We Kicked Out The Indians, We'll Kick Out You." Or the National Park Service motto: "Unless You Drive, You Don't Belong." And as the fine print says: "Our rules and regulations are here to disuade. Everything is permitted(with permits obtainable at the Ranger Station)."

"Horses are permitted on all trails in the Smokies but remember the terrible damage they can do to the trails and the fecal mater they leave behind. Dogs are NOT ALLOWED as their clawed feet may cause slight damage and are not a native species to the Park. Uh, wolves were here once and uh . . . the white man isn't native either so oops, the Park is now open only to the Cherokee and the wolves. We white people have our own park. It's called Urban Sprawl." END O' PARODY

DavidNH
05-15-2007, 09:07
If somebody carries a solo tent with them the entire hike, would it be neccesary to schedule distance between stops? Is there specific areas designated for tents along the trail? Or can I setup my tent anywhere I want?

Will.. in most of the southern and mid atlantic portions of the trail..set up wherever you want. Exception: GSMNP where they want you to sleep in shelters but you can probably pitch next to a shelter. Besides... most of the rest is either too steep or has no water.

In the whites, you can only tent on designated spots and there is a fee. In Baxter, thru hikers stay at the birches. Or if you are lucky you can get a reservation at a campground. You can not set up any ol place and the rangers do patrol.

With the above exceptions it is pretty much where ever it is falt enough, pretty enough, and you got a water source.

David

Gray Blazer
05-15-2007, 10:43
Will.. in most of the southern and mid atlantic portions of the trail..set up wherever you want. Exception: GSMNP where they want you to sleep in shelters but you can probably pitch next to a shelter.

David

I don't particularly like shelters, but when I announced to my shelter mates in the Smokies that I was about to set up my tent, their collective jaws dropped and their collective icy stares communicated to me that I had better be a sheeple and follow the rules. Baaaaahh, I slept in the shelter.

mudhead
05-15-2007, 10:49
Joke 'em.

Tell them you snore.

Gray Blazer
05-15-2007, 10:51
When they found that out, they were sorry.

Peaks
05-15-2007, 17:12
Will.. in most of the southern and mid atlantic portions of the trail..set up wherever you want. Exception: GSMNP where they want you to sleep in shelters but you can probably pitch next to a shelter. Besides... most of the rest is either too steep or has no water.

In the whites, you can only tent on designated spots and there is a fee. In Baxter, thru hikers stay at the birches. Or if you are lucky you can get a reservation at a campground. You can not set up any ol place and the rangers do patrol.

With the above exceptions it is pretty much where ever it is falt enough, pretty enough, and you got a water source.

David

David, there are lots of places to tent other than designated sights in the White Mountains. And no fee either. Mostly, just don't camp within 1/4 mile of any established tentsite or hut, and don't camp above treeline. Look around, there are plenty of bootleg sights.

Nightwalker
05-15-2007, 18:58
Eventually there will be no camping allowed anywhere without the approved permits and the necessary reservations made to the pertinent authorities. Have cash available also for lawyer fees and bail when caught camping at the millions of campsites not designated or permitted.

I wouldn't expect that one anytime soon. Really.

adamkrz
05-15-2007, 19:20
Here in CT. you must also tent in permited areas,Got a ticket at 2 a.m - two years ago,Fought the ticket and won but they made me give a $50 donation to some womans shelter..

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2007, 14:16
If not tenting legally, as least tent ethically and scrupulously adhere to "leave no trace" ethics. Most of the rules mentioned in this thread have good reasons behind them.