PDA

View Full Version : Ray-Way Quilt coming along...Mother's Day Project

Bster13
05-15-2007, 11:35
I'm very new to camping/hiking (other than car camping) but got hooked on some of Ray Jardine's designs for ultralight hiking/camping while being cost efficient. I purchased a quilt kit, tarp-tent, net-tent and had it all shipped to my parent's house.

My mother is an incredible quilter and I knew I'd need her help in interpreting the instructions and actually putting the items together. We actually did this on Mother's day...a little bonding is always a good present. :)

We decided to start with the quilt, figuring it would be easier...not so sure after the fact knowing how thick that batting was (I ordered the alpine upgrade) and sewing all three layers together. Here are some pics from our progress:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/bster13/IMG_2156.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/bster13/IMG_2155.jpg

In the middle of construction we took a break. My Mother wanted a ride on my new bike, so who am I to deny her? :p

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/bster13/IMG_2153.jpg (I love to camp while on long motorcycle trips!)

We finished most everything, including the gorget and draft stopper. Our progress was halted at the end because we did not have a needle large enough to accommodate the thick yarn that holds the insulation in place. Once that is complete we just need to sew up the footbox, not a big deal. In the end there were some steps that I thought could be better described. Especially making some of the cuts or laying out the two layers of rip-stop and the insulation in between. It's much easier to work with the rip-stop separately from the thick batting, then once you have the rip-stop cut out lay the battering under it and use the rip-stop as a cutting template, rather than trying to cut all three layers at once. We also gave a 1 inch allowance for the amount of batting needed (the instructions have you take specific measurements for the length and width considering your height/girth) and then trimmed the excess before we starting sewing it all together. In the end, we figured everything out, and the instructions were good. The thread I purchased from Ray-Way.com was a good buy as well, as my mother compared it to some thread she had that she thought was strong and the Ray-Way thread was superior, good to know it wasn't some marketing BS. :p

We anticipate the tent projects to be even easier without having to work with the insulation and thus far (with my mother's sewing technique and ray-way design & materials) the quiet looks very professional. :)
I'll post more pics as we make more progress.

Bryce

jesse
05-15-2007, 11:48
congradulation!!
my wife taught me to sew last summer. I have made rw quilts for my son and me, a tarp and net tent and backpacks. I am 100% satisfied with my rw stuff.
I hope to get around to making a lot of outdoor clothing next, I use quest outfitters for clothing. You are fortunate to start out going ultra-light. The first year my son and I would backpack I was carrying too much weight. I could barely make it uphill. My son and I can now go on overnighters and carry about 13lbs. I does make a difference.
Have fun, and welcome to WB.

Bster13
05-15-2007, 11:51
My mother is actually scouting out a basic sewing machine for me as I live 2.5 hours away from 'home.' :p I'd like to make some ultralight insulated vests/jackets as well.

I bought the RW quilt kit with the gorget, draft stopper, and .9in thick insulation advertised good down to 28 degrees. How low can u go in your RW quilt comfortably? Did you make the .75 regular or add the Alpine (.9in) insulation option? thx.

jesse
05-15-2007, 11:59
I have been in the teens, windy. I got cold because I did not have my head amd face covered very well. I also may not have had the tarp pitched low enough. The rest of my body covered by the quilt was fine. I use the .9 alpine upgrade. I do reccommend adding clothes, socks, long underware, when its that cold.

Bster13
05-15-2007, 12:09
ok, so then the 28 degree rating is more of less a no marketing-BS rating. Good to hear!

Jonesy
05-16-2007, 16:01
I'd love to see the finished product, actual weight, and what you're planning on stuffing it when you get a chance.

Congrats, homemade gear must feel great.

I'm suprised Ray hasn't introduced a down quilt kit to give people another option to choose from.

Now to give it a test drive! :P

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 16:43
I'd love to see the finished product, actual weight, and what you're planning on stuffing it when you get a chance.

Congrats, homemade gear must feel great.

I'm suprised Ray hasn't introduced a down quilt kit to give people another option to choose from.

Now to give it a test drive! :P

Ray says somewhere on his site that he is very anti-down.

Has anyone tried his bugnet tarps? I am thinking about making one this winter and adapting it for use as a hammock or ground shelter.

Bster13
05-16-2007, 17:05
I plan to use his quilt bag kit to stow the quilt in my kit. Heck, if I don't need it, the quilt will live in the bottom of my mariposa unwrapped/compressed if I can.

yes, Ray is anti-down, he says the compression and insulating ability of down isn't worth the downside of if it gets wet in his experience. Also, I gotta think that the compressed size of a syn. Ray-Way quilt is comparable to the stuff size of an ultralight down sleeping bag since the quilt does not have the nylon nor the insulation on the bottom side, right?

I will definitely let everyone know the finished weight and what it looks like. thx.

Bster13
05-16-2007, 17:06
Oh, as for the bugnet tarp (Are you referring to his Net-Tent kit?), I will be making one of those when I make my Tarp-tent from Ray-Way!

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 17:22
Oh, as for the bugnet tarp (Are you referring to his Net-Tent kit?), I will be making one of those when I make my Tarp-tent from Ray-Way!

Yeah I was looking at that on his site. I am thinking about doing something similar, but with the netting possibly sewn into the edges of the tarp then going to the ground. It's still aways off, but I would be interested to hear your opinion on it.

jesse
05-16-2007, 18:09
H.E.
I made a r-w tarp and net tent. The only problem I see with sewing the bug net into the tarp is you do not have the option of leaving the net at home, when it is not bug season.

hammock engineer
05-17-2007, 01:05
H.E.
I made a r-w tarp and net tent. The only problem I see with sewing the bug net into the tarp is you do not have the option of leaving the net at home, when it is not bug season.

Good point. But all the more reason to make a second one. If anything else, something to think about while I am hiking.

take-a-knee
05-17-2007, 11:49
Jesse, if carrying a few ounces of netting is a real (not imagined) issue, maybe you need a better conditioning program.

jesse
05-17-2007, 12:19
t-a-k
Its not just a weight issue. If there are no bugs, I prefer to have the tarp open, and not be enclosed. Also if you want to pitch the tent mid-day to eat out of the rain I think it would be better to not be enclosed. The net-tent is very confined. But hey hyoh.

Miu
05-17-2007, 14:34
I'm wondering how small the rayway quilt compresses, he never really tells you on his site, which isn't very encouraging considering he goes so far as to use "Before the advent of sleeping bags, people slept beneath blankets" as a selling point. I like to think that the compressed size would be comparable to a down sleeping bag too, but I'd like to know for sure before I try to make one. Anyone got a picture?

Marta
05-17-2007, 22:33
One of the reasons Ray-Way can't really give you a weight and size is that they vary according to how you make the quilt. My standard one compresses about like a good 20 degree down bag. The alpine weight can fit in the same stuff sack, but it's a strain. The thickest one has to go in a fairly large sack. (I no longer have possession of that one--my daughter commandeered it for her own use at home.)

Marta/Five-Leaf

Miu
05-17-2007, 23:28
I was thinking about making the alpine version, which, he says can be adapted for anyone up to 6'1".....Since I am 5'1" I can probably shave off a good amount of weight and bulk. Finally! Being short is starting to pay off!

Rambler
05-18-2007, 11:06
The stuff bag that Ray designs for the quilt is huge. It would take up my whole pack if stuffed that way. You will not have that issue with down. As for netting, go with netting along the bottom edges of the sides and at the ends, like tarp/tents. Also, check out the pattern at Six Moon Designs. Their tarp tent with a catenary cut and guylines weighs just 1 lb. in its bag. No need to have netting over your head inside or under a tarp. When bug season is over switch to a regular tarp.

jesse
05-18-2007, 11:16
Miu,
With my quilt in the stuff sac, the deminsions are 12" high, 12"wide, and a circumference of 39". It will compress to 9" high. If I need more room i stuff my pad and sleep clothes into the sack with my quilt.

I am 5'4" and see no advantage in being tall. Tall people need bigger tents, bigger pads, bigger bags, bigger clothes, bigger packs to carry all their bigger stuff, which aggravates the tendency towards back pain that they are more at risk for.

Go short people!

jesse
05-18-2007, 11:37
Rambler,

As for netting, go with netting along the bottom edges of the sides and at the ends
Is this netting also sewn into the ground sheet? If not, wouldn't you have problems with bugs crawling in?

littlelaurel59
05-19-2007, 11:01
Miu,
With my quilt in the stuff sac, the deminsions are 12" high, 12"wide, and a circumference of 39". It will compress to 9" high. If I need more room i stuff my pad and sleep clothes into the sack with my quilt.

I am 5'4" and see no advantage in being tall. Tall people need bigger tents, bigger pads, bigger bags, bigger clothes, bigger packs to carry all their bigger stuff, which aggravates the tendency towards back pain that they are more at risk for.

Go short people!

...and there is more oxygen at lower altitude:banana.