PDA

View Full Version : Footwear?

-Ghost-
05-15-2007, 11:35
Ive been hiking in boots my whole life, and the sound of some lightweight boots/shoes sounds REALLY appealing to me. So what would be some good options for lightweight footwear?

Basically, i would llike something waterproof. And something that can support a load, probably nothing more than 40lbs. And of course something light weight. Possibly trail runners? For backpacking? Or just some light weight boots?

This idea of lightweight footwear is new to me so any suggestions would be helpful! Just not quite sure what would work the best.

Thanks!

Time To Fly 97
05-15-2007, 14:06
I used mid weight hiking boots (Vasque) for the AT and oversized running shoes with gel inserts for the JMT. Both worked great for their respective trails. I now use something in the middle: Merrill Pulse II Low (older model - may have to shop to find them)

They can handle weight (I work out with a 90lb weight vest), are comfortable on the trail and if you end up in a monsoon they will expel water out as fast as it goes in (keeping your feet relatively dry in the process).

Happy hiking!

TTF

Phreak
05-15-2007, 21:36
Ive been hiking in boots my whole life, and the sound of some lightweight boots/shoes sounds REALLY appealing to me. So what would be some good options for lightweight footwear?

Basically, i would llike something waterproof. And something that can support a load, probably nothing more than 40lbs. And of course something light weight. Possibly trail runners? For backpacking? Or just some light weight boots?

This idea of lightweight footwear is new to me so any suggestions would be helpful! Just not quite sure what would work the best.

Thanks!

I wore the Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCRs for years but they've gone and changed the shoe to the point where I can no longer wear them.

I recently purchased some Salomon XA Pro 3D XCRs and I like these shoes a lot more than the Montrails. I used them straight out of the box for a tough 3 day hike in Joyce Kilmer last weekend in heavy rain showers with no issues (hot spots, blisters, etc). I always had to "break in" my Montrails but the Salomon are great right out of the box.

Just my $0.02 worth.

bigcranky
05-15-2007, 21:58
Yes, you can wear trail runners backpacking, if you are carrying a reasonably light load. Low cut shoes are fine for many hikers. There is a *wide* range of footwear available, from very light shoes made for runners and adventure racers, all the way to sturdy shoes that act more like mid-weight hiking boots. There are dozens of brands, and hundreds of models, all of which fit differently. Fit is probably the most important factor, followed by support, cushioning, durability, materials, etc. Your best bet is to go to a good outfitter and try on several different shoes, from different companies.

On "waterproof" hiking footwear: you might consider that every single pair of "waterproof" boots/trail runners on the market comes with a big hole in the top, right where you put your foot. When it rains, your shoes fill up with water, which can't escape b/c the shoes are waterproof in both directions. Gaiters will help keep water (and other junk) out of your shoes, but they tend to be hot. I'm much happier with mesh trail runners that drain well, and I wear light synthetic or wool socks. Yes, my feet get wet -- but they dry fairly quickly, much quicker than when I was wearing heavy leather boots. (This changes in winter, when I wear Goretex trail runners and gaiters in snow hiking.)

I like the Salomon XA series, but they may not fit your feet. Good luck.

-Ghost-
05-17-2007, 09:48
Anyone have any experience with the Vasque Velocity GTX XCR trail shoes? They sort of look like a mix between boot and shoe which is basically what im looking for. The Salomons look pretty nice too, ive had a pair of Salomon boots for about 5 years now. Thanks for the adbive guys.

littlelaurel59
05-17-2007, 09:54
I have used both boots and trail shoes. If the load is light and I am on a trail, the shoes are great! If I am doing a lot of off-trail side hill walking or scambling over very irregular terrain, I like the ankle support the boots give. Boots are a lot lighter than the old days.

Brock
05-17-2007, 10:44
I wore the Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCRs for years but they've gone and changed the shoe to the point where I can no longer wear them.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I would suggest NOT using the Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCRs. I bought a pair last year and hiked for 2 weeks before both shoes had holes in the same place through the outer shell and the Gore Tex shell.
I was able to replace them for free after months of hassel with Montrail and my local shoe company. The second pair I got did the exact same thing in the exact same place after another 2 weeks.
I was in Manchester Center VT at a Montrail dealer with this pair of shoes talking with the owner of the Mt Goat (i think that is the name of the Montrail outfitter there). He said it is normal for those shoes and not to worry about it. I told him I was furious I spent $110 on Gore Tex shoes only to have the Gore Tex completely useless (in fact worse since the holes let water in, but not out very well) after only 2 weeks or 200 miles. He told me 200 miles is more than expected especially with the level of abuse a thru hiker puts into the shoes. I couldn't believe he was telling me this. He thought it normal that I pay $110 for Gore Tex that would only last me 2 weeks. He also told me there was a known design issue with this shoe that caused the holes. There is a design pattern at the bottom edges of the shoes that is a harder plastic/fabric in a zigzag pattern. When the toe of the shoe bends, that zigzag pattern bends at the wrong place and wears out that part of the shoe. Horrible design and the owner of this store told me they were coming out with a new design.
I wore a mens size 11 or 11.5 if that helps at all.

I left the Mt Goat and went to the other outfitter in town (an EMS i think) and bought a pair of Vasque Velocitys that were on sale for $55. The heels of this shoe have known problems of peeling off, but caused me no problems. Hiked the last 500 or so miles in these shoes and still wear them while I am home.

I would NOT recommend any Gore Tex during the warmer months.

icemanat95
05-17-2007, 12:18
Funny, Montrail did that to me once upon a time (change a design and make my favorite boots unwearable). In my case it was the Montrail Moraine. I spent a couple hours on the phone with them giving them feedback on how the boot dealt with the AT. All my suggestions were incorporated into the Montrail Moraine AT, but they built it on an entirely new last that did not fit my foot...at all. Good heavyweight backpacking boot, I just couldn't wear it.

Blissful
05-17-2007, 12:31
Going to try out my new Brooks trail runners tomorrow on a day hike with friends. Never thought I would go to trail runners! I liked my solomon Canyon GTX very much for the first part of my thru but when they got wet, they stayed wet and the weight in them doubled. PLus developed calf pain etc. later in my hike and the guy said my pronation problem, stress on the calves, etc were not helped by my boots as he watched me walk (and I could see it myself). Thus the Brooks trail runners with motion control footbed that keeps my feet in a neutral position.

Quoddy
05-17-2007, 12:50
It didn't take long for me to convert to Inov-8 Roclite 315's. There's a 318GTX Gore-Tex version, but I don't think I'll ever go back to impossibly slow drying Gore-Tex shoes again. Under normal conditions the thin mesh of the 315's drys so quickly that I hardly notice that I was ever wet. As far as going back to even mid-height boots...never going to happen. Inov-8 Terroc 330's are an excellent shoe too, depends on the general terrain I'm hiking as to which I'd wear.
http://www.inov-8.com/Product.html

I recently received a pair of GoLite Spike Tails and will see how they compare to the Inov-8's...so far I haven't had time to really make any comparison other than quickly noticing that the GoLites are slightly heavier and obviously very radical looking. Doubt that they'll take the place of Inov-8's for me.

Old Grouse
05-17-2007, 13:36
I wear the Inov-8 Terroc 330's too, especially in the warmer weather. They're a little breezy in the winter months. I like them a lot.

Spock
05-17-2007, 20:57
Quoddy,
My Golite Spike Trails lasted 66 miles -- count 'em -- 66 miles before the fake ripstop over the toes split and the lace points started to tear out. Golite replaced them with another similar model which lasted 70 miles before the same thing happened. Golite shoes are OK for light town duty. Maybe. I found them comfortable, but prone to ankle turns.

Quoddy
05-18-2007, 08:20
Quoddy,
My Golite Spike Trails lasted 66 miles -- count 'em -- 66 miles before the fake ripstop over the toes split and the lace points started to tear out. Golite replaced them with another similar model which lasted 70 miles before the same thing happened. Golite shoes are OK for light town duty. Maybe. I found them comfortable, but prone to ankle turns.

Through a total fluke I received the Spike Tails free from the distributor. If I'd had to buy another pair of shoes it would have been a backup pair of Inov-8's. At the most, I'll be using the Spike Tails on the local trails for day hikes or overnights.

Jaybird
05-18-2007, 09:06
Ive been hiking in boots my whole life, and the sound of some lightweight boots/shoes sounds REALLY appealing to me. So what would be some good options for lightweight footwear?......................................... .................

Yo Tea!

same here....this year...for my 11 day section-hike...i ditched my Vasque Sundowners (i've had since 2001) for the more lightweight Vasque Velocity "trailrunners" (a savings of almost 2 lbs OFF my feet)...they were very comfortable & nice to hike in....

good luck with your hike!:D

Kerosene
05-18-2007, 09:19
Gaiters will help keep water (and other junk) out of your shoes, but they tend to be hot.Check out the Integral Designs eVent Shortie Gaiters (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765&CFID=8992506&CFTOKEN=52829286&mainproducttypeid=1). They offer impressive breathability across a wide range of conditions. Even so, water can seep down your legs to your socks and eventually wick to your feet. If you wear rain pants or DWR wind pants, you can avoid this by overlaying the gaitors with the ends of the pants, or "blousing" them over the top.

fredmugs
05-18-2007, 09:31
I've tried trail runners and they killed the balls of my feet when going over long rocky stretches. On my last trip I hiked in my Chaco's and it was so much more enjoyable. Granted I haven't hiked in these for a long trip with a lot of rain but my feet and socks never got sweaty even when doing 20 mile days. Plus the toe freedom and nothing rubbing my heels meant the first multi-day hike I've ever had with no blisters!!!