PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a backpack

Trail Dog
09-22-2003, 15:22
Looking for advice on packs.

i want something under five (5) pounds and between 4,000 and 4,500 Cubic Square inches.

Internal Frame, and lots of pockets, i like pockets :)...... & preferably 2 main compartments, one twice as big as the other.

any advice?

these have caught my eye, but i have yet to get to a store to try them on and play with em.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=5
Makalu Pro Gregory

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=11
Reality Gregory

http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=10
Forester Gregory

http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444258 0487&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302209975&fromTemplate=navigation%2Fsubcategory.jsp&bmUID=1064258326178

EMS Long Trail II

Thanks

MadAussieInLondon
09-22-2003, 16:21
osprey aether 75, 4lb. very very nice pack.
reality+forrester seem like the same design.

http://ospreypacks.com/aether75.html

mongo
09-22-2003, 20:35
seeing you are in the UK try:

http://www.macpac.co.nz/catalogue/do,displayitem-view/mid,5/miid,109/diid,27/

This is a hking pack. The Alpine packs are lighter so have a look at them.

Mongo

chris
09-23-2003, 08:49
The Forester is reputed to be a very good pack and was popular on the PCT this summer amongst internal frame users. I would err on the side of a smaller, rather than larger, pack. Of the packs you listed, the Reality is probably the way to go. Of course, you could get a MacPac, but then people might mistake you for some wanker Australian.

MadAussieInLondon
09-23-2003, 09:05
mongo, the guy lives in new york mate, not the uk. :)

chris, thanks for the wonderful sentiment. I sure wouldnt want to be mistaken for some wanker from the United Ce$$pit of AmeriKKKa

chris
09-23-2003, 09:28
No problem. Just trying to spread the love I have of Australians. Australians and Americans have to work together to keep up our fine image when travelling abroad.

icemanat95
09-23-2003, 13:08
Originally posted by MadAussieInLondon
mongo, the guy lives in new york mate, not the uk. :)

chris, thanks for the wonderful sentiment. I sure wouldnt want to be mistaken for some wanker from the United Ce$$pit of AmeriKKKa

Them's fightin' words.

:D

A-Train
09-23-2003, 13:10
Hey rob whats up man?
I used a forester from Springer to Daleville and again from Glencliff to Katahdin, when i got tired of going ultra light lol. Its a solid pack and can carry 35-40 lbs comfortably. I think its 4500-5100 cu inches, but i dont use the top loader. That shaves off close to a pound. Its got a nice way of getting to your stuff without unpacking everything. Its also got a great sleeping bag compartment in the bottom. I think it retails for around 240 bucks. Might wanna check out Campmor for a deal. If you wanna carry a big pack i highly recommend this one.
A-Train GAME03

Walessp
09-23-2003, 18:27
Trail Dog

I have a Gregory Forester for sale if you're interested. Purchased Nov '02, still like new and available for $175 including postage/ Colr is blue and size is medium.

Sky Rider

SGT Rock
09-24-2003, 00:41
I love my gearskin, it meets almost all your requirements, except the frame part.

Trail Dog
09-24-2003, 15:22
Hey Top,

Whats a gearskin? I might beable to live without the frame, saves weight anyway.

I'm starting to like the Forester. Anyone else use it much?

chris
09-24-2003, 15:29
Take a look at:

http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Gearskins/gearskin.html

It is an interesting idea. I ran into an old man using one this weekend and he seemed happy with it.

jlb2012
09-24-2003, 16:12
I really like my Gearskin too.

See Sgt. Rock's site for some further information: http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

a few items to note

1.) pack the Gearskin somewhat tall so as to permit the lifter straps to transfer the load to the hip belt and off of the shoulders

2.) balance the load from left to right also - not real critical but if you find the pack just isn't hanging right push some of the load from the side that is down toward the side that is up

3.) obviously use the compression straps to get all the stuff pushed together so that it acts as a single unit of load

4.) if you use water bottles stick them in the sides of the pack - they will be held in place by the lower two compression straps

5.) its real easy to get stuff out of the pack - just reach in from the side after releasing one of the compression straps

also note I switched from a large Forester to a Gearskin and saved at least 3.5 pounds - it was very noticable. I now use my Forester for lugging tools out to the trail when I am doing trail maintenance - still a good pack but I'll use my Gearskin for backpacking.

Blue Jay
09-25-2003, 08:00
Anybody have a thousand miles on a Moonbow yet?

firefly
09-25-2003, 09:19
Hey do you use a pack cover on your gearskin or do you use a drybag or some other combination?

deeddawg
09-25-2003, 10:18
Does anyone have direct experience with the Osprey Aether 75 and the Gregory Forester?

They both appear to be good packs for the money, but for a few minor reasons I'm leaning towards the Osprey.

Just curious to see if anyone has any comments on why they might have chosen one over the other, or if they'd have chosen differently had they to do it over again.

Thanks.

MadAussieInLondon
09-25-2003, 10:48
only had my aether75 for a motnh. before that i had a lowe alipine pack.

i did check out the a64 vs a75. the 75 is a way better pack (for me). so far, very impressed with my a75.

A-Train
09-25-2003, 11:43
I used the forester for 1100 miles on my thru this past year. A little curious as to why two people have asked if anyone has experienced using this pack when i posted about it..
Anyway, between this pack and the aether 75 I'd pick the forester. Gregory, hands down, makes the best packs out there ask anyone. Their quality is second to none. Not always the lightest, but it will NOT fall apart on you as i've seen many other packs do (mountainsmith, go lite etc..) Most of the well respected outfitters on the AT sell gregs. I was able to switch out my old hip belt which was to big for a smaller one at mount rogers in damascus, free of charge.
Many people used osprey this year and they are incresingly popular. They seem like well made packs and most were happy with them. I'd look at the 60 instead of 75 but thats up to you. Seems most folks are in the hunt for a big heavy bag and end up switching in the middle of their hike because theyve learned what to live without. It also depends on the time of yr you start. Starting march 1st, the forester was a good pick because it wasnt so heavy but still had room to hold all my winter gear and carry 38 lbs comfortably.
For its size, the forester is a great pack.
A-Train

deeddawg
09-25-2003, 13:52
Originally posted by A-Train
A little curious as to why two people have asked if anyone has experienced using this pack when i posted about it.
Perhaps my question wasn't clear -- I was curious to hear the thoughts of folks who might happen to have had direct experience with BOTH packs. I know the Forester is a good pack, and all reports are that the Aether 75 is a good pack as well. If they weren't, then choosing between them would be easy -- but each has a couple little features I like which the other doesn't; and THAT is what makes the choice difficult.

Did you ever have any trouble with that vinyl-covered nylon they use on the bottom of the pack? Did you make significant use of the access panel for stuff or was it more of a pain? In limited "wearing-around-the-store", the Forester's hipbelt almost felt like it was too stiff whereas the Aether 75's felt great right from the start -- did you notice anything like this and did it "break-in".

Thanks for your comments.

Mr. Clean
09-26-2003, 06:50
Looking at the various packs out there, some have a much more padded waist belt than others. Is it better to have a slightly heavier pack with the more padded waist belt, or better to sacrifice some comfort and go with the lower pack weight? I know there are probably conflicting opinions, but I'd like to hear them anyway. I'm looking at getting a new pack also, and liked the look of the Osprey Crescent hip belt better than the Aether's. Whats your feeling on this?

chris
09-26-2003, 08:51
This depends on how much weight you carry and how much gets sent to the hips (i.e, how efficient is your suspension). The padding on my ULA Zenith is there, but minimal compared to a normal hipbelt. I liked it just fine and never developed the sores on my hips that I saw so many other hikers (with big hip belts) treating at night. Since they had light loads also, I think it was just the fact that more of the weight with the Zenith is carried higher up on the body, rather than on the hips. The hipbelt certainly helped carry a load, but less so that with a traditional framed pack.

Rather than padding, I would go for width: The more surface area that the hipbelt has, it seems to me, the more stable the pack will ride and pressure at any given point will be reduced.

If you are going to get a traditional pack like a Crescent or Aether, a big hipbelt is probably good. Load it up, cinch down the big belt, and plod down the trail. Don't forget other features, though, when looking for a pack. External storage (like mesh pockets) is golden on a thruhike. As is a place to position your CB antenna.

deeddawg
09-26-2003, 13:33
Originally posted by chris
If you are going to get a traditional pack like a Crescent or Aether, a big hipbelt is probably good. [...snip...] Don't forget other features, though, when looking for a pack. External storage (like mesh pockets) is golden on a thruhike. As is a place to position your CB antenna.
Gotta have someplace to put the solar cells to keep the CB batteries charged, eh? And what better way to hail that guy in the pickup for a hitch into town!

:banana

In my particular case, a thru-hike isn't going to happen for another five years or so when my 7th-grade son gets through school. For the time being I'm wanting a general purpose pack which is lighter than my existing over-seven-pound trail-yacht as I gradually lighten my load and try to hone my skills and technique.

I'm a little under 18lb for May-Sept not counting pack, food, water, or clothes worn. While I can fit these into a smaller pack than something like the Aether 75 or Forester, I also want space for colder weather (GA/NC/TN) usage and also space for certain in-camp luxuries on short-distance trips with my son's Scout Troop. 11-year-olds are not exactly high-mileage hikers and I tend to carry some extra food/fuel/warm-clothing for the occasions where the kids forget something or otherwise aren't properly prepared despite our best efforts. :)

I say this to illustrate a little more of where I'm coming from in my pack selection. I realize my situation is different perhaps than many who frequent this site, but I also find that the long-distance crowd here is a great source of real-world, trail-tested information.

stranger
09-27-2003, 00:29
The Makalu is a nice pack but it's quite large despite what the cubic inches list, and lacks the compression options of the Escape Series packs. I had a Makalu for a brief time, was happy with it but would recommend the Reality or Forrester over it. They are cheaper, about the same weight, and are more convienant to live out of.

The Forrester can be a problem cause it's basically pushing 5000 cubic inches but has a lightweight frame, which means if you fill up a Forrester to it's max you might overload the frame. Although it does have some nice access features and a separate bottom compartment.

I think the Reality is one of the best packs out there for long distance hiking. It's big enough for anything, not too heavy for a internal frame (after a date with a knife and lighter) and has good access to your gear. 4 frame sizes, thermo-moulded foam, solid harness and hipbelt that are low-profile, etc...

Of course you can always go lighter, frameless, etc...But you can still use a 4 lb pack and keep your total weight well under 30, it's not that hard to do.

stranger
09-27-2003, 00:39
The amount of padding or thickness of foam on a pack's hipbelt means absolutely nothing in terms of comfort. What dictates hipbelt comfort is Fit, the proper fit and angled belt will spread the weight evenly across your hips.

What many pack companies do is throw on a huge, soft and thick padded hipbelt and say it will "mold to you", what a pile of crap. Hipbelts don't "mold" to you they break down over time and get softer in high stress areas. You can avoid this by using a hipbelt without any open-cell foam, which will be harder on the hips at first..but will last much longer. Many times a thin, well fitted closed cell hipbelt will work better and be more comfortable than a large, wide, spongy belt.

Mr. Clean
09-29-2003, 07:48
I tried on the Forrester with 30 lbs. in it and walked for about 10 minutes, not a long time at all, but it still felt pretty good. Do you think the Forrester to light if I really load it up? The store didn't carry Osprey, and since I wasn't buying and I'm only learning, I didn't try Mountainsmith, Lowe, or other Gregorys. But it felt much better than my 30 yr old, 7 lb. wood frame external. That thing hurts.
What is a good pack with some small outside pockets? I really like the quick access for small items.

chris
09-29-2003, 09:30
I like Arc'teryx packs a lot, although they really are mountaineering packs (read: heavy and expensive). I've used the Bora 95 before for a long mountaineering trip in northern BC in which weight was around 85 lbs. The pack worked well, but 85 lbs is a lot unless regardless of the pack. The Bora 40 or 65 is about the right size for the AT. They have a nice "kangeroo" pocket on the outside which is good for storage. If you happen to be in Canada, you can buy them at about 30% off.

stranger
09-29-2003, 22:37
Pockets are handy but can affect the packs performane if you put heavy items like water in them. Any internal frame works best with everything inside and tightly compressed. Of course water needs to be external but most packs have some mesh or water bottle pockets specifically for this.

The Forrester is a solid pack, but realize it only has a single stay, so if you plan on carrying over 35 pounds consistantly if may pay to look at something like a Palisade with a heavier suspension. The Escape Series is great for moderate loads however, but I would avoid going much heavier than 35 with them...and for AT hiking that should be very easy to stay under.

Like Chris said ArcTeryx makes good packs...and their smaller packs tend to outperform their larger ones in my opinion. I could and would never recommend a Mountainsmith product, they are complete garbage i my book, I have worked with them since 1994 and they have never touched anything by Gregory, Dana, ArcTeryx, Osprey, Lowe. Good luck!

Bill Bellatty
11-09-2003, 21:46
You can check-out /buy the Arc'teryx bora on line with a nice discount from www.mec/Main/home.jsp... ex: Arcteryx bora 80 for aprox $260.00.
A good deal.
Bill

rfghost
11-10-2003, 20:49
[QUOTE=Trail Dog]Looking for advice on packs.

Before you decide check out one website. You won't be disappointed. This pack is awsome!

http://www.kiskiloutdoors.com/

Chef
11-18-2003, 19:54
I may use my north face patrol, almost 3000ci and weighing about 5 ibs. Looking for a much lighter pack around 3500ci and can carry up to 30-35ilbs. Any suggestions?

Patch29
11-18-2003, 20:08
I may use my north face patrol, almost 3000ci and weighing about 5 ibs. Looking for a much lighter pack around 3500ci and can carry up to 30-35ilbs. Any suggestions?

I have been looking at the Osprey Aether 60 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/aether60.html). Depending on your size they range from 3500 to 3900 ci and 3lb 4oz to 3lb 8oz, $200.00. I really like the set up and think it would work well. I tested it with 35lbs and it felt very good. Has anyone used or have comments on this pack?

gumball
11-19-2003, 07:15
I have been looking at the Osprey Aether 60 (http://www.ospreypacks.com/aether60.html). Depending on your size they range from 3500 to 3900 ci and 3lb 4oz to 3lb 8oz, $200.00. I really like the set up and think it would work well. I tested it with 35lbs and it felt very good. Has anyone used or have comments on this pack?

I have used this pack extensively, and also own the Osprey Ariel 75--there are lots of good comments in this forum on the 60, if you do a search--in a nutshell, I have a lowe alpine, and have used kelty and jansport packs as well. i finally settled on osprey packs because of their fit--for me (and this is a very personal thing, the fit of a pack), they wear like a glove. i can carry either with a decent amount of weight and not really be too aware i have the darn thing on at the end of a long day's hike. the 75 and 90 versions are customizable, which is an extra bonus. good materials, very durable. easy to organize.