PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse Sl1 Vs. Mountain Hardwear Skypoint 1 Cf

austinlowes17
05-15-2007, 15:55
Hey guys, i'm looking for a tent for my 08' thru hike. I have to order from REI (recieved a gift card) and I think these tents are my best options.
Price aside which one would you guys recommend.

PS. I'm not into tarp camping, the bugs drive me crazy!!!

TwoForty
05-15-2007, 16:18
I don't know anything about the Skypoint, but I have a Mountain Hardwear tent and it is the best commercially available tent I have seen. Their attention to detail is amazing.

When I went to buy a solo tent, I got the SL1 though. Lightweight was more important for what I was using it for. It could be better, but I like it anyways. I had it on Max Patch a few days ago and it did great with the condensation. Not a drop in the tent. It also held up to moderate winds. It's a pain to get a tight pitch so it did flap all night, but it stayed rock solid. It takes a while to get a decent pitch. All these faults are tolerable because it spends mroe time in my pack than on the ground.

When I do have to pitch it, I like staying inside. I am tall and it is very roomy. I don't have a problem sitting up and writing in my notebook at night.

If I was going to spend a lot of time in a tent, I would get the Mountain Hardware Sprite 1. But for carrying the lightest tent possible and ocassionally using it, it is a fine tent.

All that said, I should have just bought a Tarp Tent Rainbow. It looks like it goes up easier and is even lighter.

I tried using a flat tarp and a bug bivy and that never worked well on the AT for me.

rafe
05-16-2007, 09:31
All that said, I should have just bought a Tarp Tent Rainbow. It looks like it goes up easier and is even lighter.

I suspect you'll like it. For me it was a tossup between that and the Big Agnes SL-1. The Tarptent is a bit lighter and more roomy, with a simpler pole arrangement. Once they're set up, they have a similar shape.