PDA

View Full Version : The Cry Of the Loon

woodsy
05-15-2007, 21:34
The Loons are back in Maine with their nightime call/cry. Most of the lakes and ponds are now free of ice and the Loons can be heard from some distance. If you practice a bit you can call them back by overlapping your hands together and blowing through your thumbs, wet lips for best effect. They may call you back.
Here is an update on the status of this unique bird in Maine (http://www.mainebirding.net/news/stories/30.htm)
I am too fortunate to be able to step out my door and hear The Cry Of the Loon. Hope you all get to enjoy this cry as you venture through the Northeast.:cool:
(http://www.mainebirding.net/news/stories/30.htm)

ed bell
05-15-2007, 21:56
Thanks for the link, woodsy. I hope next year goes better.:sun

emerald
05-15-2007, 22:59
Go here (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Common_Loon_dtl.html) for information from Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

Downunda
05-16-2007, 00:26
Lying in my tent on the edge of Rainbow lake listening to the loons cry is a wonderful sound that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

emerald
05-16-2007, 00:58
Lying in my tent on the edge of Rainbow Lake listening to the loons cry is a wonderful sound that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I have no doubt you will. Anyone who has completed the A.T. and missed that experience has missed one of the best parts.

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 02:18
I have no doubt you will. Anyone who has completed the A.T. and missed that experience has missed one of the best parts.

For sure the music of the loon in the darkness made my journal on every occassion in Maine. What a gentle soulful reminder that at that moment, one is in the right place . . . in life.

Gray Blazer
05-16-2007, 07:50
(Best Katherine Hepburn voice) The loons.....the loons!

emerald
05-16-2007, 18:14
They may call you back.

They haven't succeeded at calling me back yet, but their call is getting harder to resist.;)

woodsy
05-20-2007, 18:49
They haven't succeeded at calling me back yet,.;)

Are you calling them from The Green Diamond? :rolleyes:

Loon calling contests for $$$ are common here.

Catching a Loon while trolling a lure or other bait is not unheard of either. I've heard they put up quite a fight and are not easilly released while you get beat about the head by their flapping wings.:eek:

c.coyle
05-22-2007, 12:38
Funny how a sound can bring back a flood of pleasant memories. I first heard loons when my kids were tiny and we vacationed on Big Moose Lake in the Adirondacks. Bliss!

emerald
05-22-2007, 13:54
Are you calling them [loons] from The Green Diamond? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call loons to The Green Diamond while they're nesting, you ninny! What kind of an outdoor enthusiast do you think I am? By the way, if I called them, they would come.:rolleyes:

We don't mind if they fish in Maine during the summer months. That way there are more fish in The Green Diamond.

You know how awkward loons are out of water even when they're not dehydrated. Try to imagine a gaggle of loons attempting to operate an ice auger with the wind whistling between their legs! They'll return to The Green Diamond when they're ready. I'm not worried!:p

The Green Diamond doesn't require loons to attract tourists. We have Cabela's and are quite happy to share them with you.;)

Nightwalker
05-22-2007, 13:57
Lying in my tent on the edge of Rainbow lake listening to the loons cry is a wonderful sound that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

That was my favorite camp of the trip. I almost stayed two nights there.

emerald
05-22-2007, 14:07
Bliss!

Coyle, this thread is all about loons!:rolleyes:

You appear to be calling Bliss. If you're trying to call Blissful or Paul Bunyan, why not PM them? They'll be here soon enough!;)

c.coyle
05-22-2007, 15:02
Coyle, this thread is all about loons!:rolleyes:

You appear to be calling Bliss. If you're trying to call Blissful or Paul Bunyan, why not PM them? They'll be here soon enough!;)

No. I call bulls**t. This whole forum is about loons.

From the thesaurus: ecstasy, beatitude, blessedness, euphoria, felicity, gladness, happiness, heaven, joy, paradise, rapture. You get the point.

Turn up your volume and click on this link (http://www.covewoodlodge.com/index-js.htm). (Don't worry, it's worksafe)

emerald
05-22-2007, 15:35
No. I call bulls**t. This whole forum is about loons.

The only thing you can hope to call with BS is flies, but it won't divert the attention of those blood lappin' blackflies one bit!

Asfa yur 2nd point, sometimes the wildlife forum's about fish, patridge otha birds. It snot always 'bout loons!

Blissful
05-22-2007, 15:39
Just for the record, I've enjoyed hearing the whippoorwills on the trail. They serenaded us all night.

woodsy
05-22-2007, 18:51
The only thing you can hope to call with BS is flies, but it won't divert the attention of those blood lappin' blackflies one bit!

Asfa yur 2nd point, sometimes the wildlife forum's about fish, patridge otha birds. It snot always 'bout loons!

Ayuh, anything goes in the wildlife forum U Loonatics. The Blackflies are gettin thirsty for yer blood round here but I got a new bottle of Bens so not too worried. Been dealing with em waaaaay too long now.
As for the Loons, one flew over the shack the other day squaking ta beet Jesus, as though it were lost or something.:D
And them Wipoorwills have trouble gettin this far north but comforting for those south of here Bliss and Paul;)
Walk on till the soles fall off your boots and the Loons keep you awake half the night.

emerald
05-22-2007, 22:13
As for the Loons, one flew over the shack the other day squawking ta beet Jesus, as though it were lost or something.:D

Sorry about that. I had something caught in my throat and had to do something to dislodge it.;)

woodsy
05-23-2007, 06:01
We don't mind if they fish in Maine during the summer months. That way there are more fish in The Green Diamond.

Best way to find fish on a body of water is to follow the Loons, even if they are all red eyed.

Sorry about that. I had something caught in my throat and had to do something to dislodge it.;)

I wondered if they might be you in disguise. Welcome back!

Rhino-lfl
05-24-2007, 15:49
The Loons are back in Maine with their nightime call/cry. Most of the lakes and ponds are now free of ice and the Loons can be heard from some distance. If you practice a bit you can call them back by overlapping your hands together and blowing through your thumbs, wet lips for best effect. They may call you back.
Here is an update on the status of this unique bird in Maine (http://www.mainebirding.net/news/stories/30.htm)
I am too fortunate to be able to step out my door and hear The Cry Of the Loon. Hope you all get to enjoy this cry as you venture through the Northeast.:cool:

Killed a loon once, tasted good.

Lone Wolf
05-24-2007, 15:50

taste like chicken?

Rhino-lfl
05-24-2007, 15:54
taste like chicken?

Duck actually. Pulled the feathers off, gutted it and stuffed a hot rock up it's cavity to cook from both the inside and out on the fire. I bet it would make agreat 2 man roaster if you had fix'ens.

MOWGLI
05-24-2007, 16:16
Duck actually. Pulled the feathers off, gutted it and stuffed a hot rock up it's cavity to cook from both the inside and out on the fire. I bet it would make agreat 2 man roaster if you had fix'ens.

That would explain your a lot. Loons are loaded with mercury and mercury toxicity can cause symptoms resembling mental retardation.

emerald
05-24-2007, 16:28
Best way to find fish on a body of water is to follow the Loons, even if they are all red eyed.

Given what's been posted since your post, it would appear the red-eyed loons have arrived on the scene and are fishing for a bite in WhiteBlaze pond.

taste like chicken?

Just a Hiker
05-24-2007, 16:33
Hello all! This is the coolest thread of the day! The loons are a big reason I moved to Maine, and I have my favorite spot. There are only a few lean-tos I make a point of camping near, but Pierce Pond Lean-to is one of them. I always put my tent as close to the water as possible, and at dusk I make a cup of coffee and wait for the crying to begin. Its one of the only pure forms of happiness I have left, and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of money. Thanks!

Just Jim

emerald
05-24-2007, 16:53
As for the loons, one flew over the shack the other day squawking ta beet Jesus, as though it were lost or something.:D

I wondered if they might be you in disguise.

No, that was the 1st bird leading the exodus from the Pine Tree State to the promised land. When my call from The Green Diamond stopped echoeing, he concluded he was just dreaming and went back to what he'd been doing before he thought he'd received the call.:D

weary
05-24-2007, 16:57
That would explain your a lot. Loons are loaded with mercury and mercury toxicity can cause symptoms resembling mental retardation.
The mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland was crazy from exposure to mercury, which was used in making fancy hats in ancient times.

emerald
05-24-2007, 17:08
:-? I once worked as a hatter. I'm not getting any younger, but I'm far from ancient, so it must be something other than mercury that's bothering me!:mad:

woodsy
05-24-2007, 19:36
Hello all! This is the coolest thread of the day! The loons are a big reason I moved to Maine, and I have my favorite spot. There are only a few lean-tos I make a point of camping near, but Pierce Pond Lean-to is one of them. I always put my tent as close to the water as possible, and at dusk I make a cup of coffee and wait for the crying to begin. Its one of the only pure forms of happiness I have left, and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of money. Thanks!

Just Jim

Thanks for posting your positive experience Jim, makes me happy i started this thread. And thanks also to the other folks who posted with positive responses about Loons. As you noted, Pierce Pond is a sure(i Think) experience with the Cry of the Loon. I'll check em out for you next week when I hike in there .

woodsy
05-24-2007, 19:47
I doubt it, fish eating birds always taste awful, your sense of taste is about as sharp as your mind, lol. I doubt you ever killed anything that tasted good. Loons are protected from killing last i heard.

weary
05-24-2007, 22:17
:-? I once worked as a hatter. I'm not getting any younger, but I'm far from ancient, so it must be something other than mercury that's bothering me!:mad:
You'll have to find a medical person to determine what's bothering you. But mercury affects both the young and the old.

Weary

emerald
05-24-2007, 23:27
You'll have to find a medical person to determine what's bothering you.

:-? I suppose you're right.

But mercury affects both the young and the old.

Maybe the culprit is Hg. Whenever the mercury rises above 80°F, I feel hot. Whenever it's more than 760 torr, I feel pressured. This bothers me. Do you think I need to see a medical professional?:confused:

weary
05-25-2007, 00:25
....Maybe the culprit is Hg. Whenever the mercury rises above 80°F, I feel hot. Whenever it's more than 760 torr, I feel pressured. This bothers me. Do you think I need to see a medical professional?:confused:
Not all human afflictions require professional help. Experience and the human mind can often figure out such things. IN my experience, those without basic mental abilities have to just make do. Sorry about that, SOG, nature can be cruel.

Weary

emerald
05-25-2007, 01:02
Not all human afflictions require professional help. Experience and the human mind can often figure out such things.

Weary

You know, I'd probably find relief on a mountain top.:cool:

woodsy
05-25-2007, 07:36
You know, I'd probably find relief on a mountain top.:cool:

Like this one?http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/9/1/4/scan0009.jpg
Throw in The Cry of the Loon and you will be in heaven:cool: