PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried a Military syle ammo pouch?

RockStar
05-16-2007, 03:23
I am looking for something to put a few things in while I am hiking. I do NOT like waist pouches. I am not a skinny girl and I feel like a complete idiot wearing one. I DO carry a Purse over myshoulder and across my chest that hangs by my side , that looks like a military bag. However it is not water proof at all or durible enough to use hiking.

While looking for a waist pack I saw these "leg Puches" and ammo pouches that look like they might go on my Waist belt or Chest strap. I was wondering if anyone has used these being that a lot of WBers are in or have been in the military.

Here is a link to a couple...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270119122497&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270120521407&rd=1&rd=1

I can't imagine water in your ammo pouch would be good? And the weight looks good-To ME-. I also thought I would use a thin strap from something else if I carry it around in towns. Camera bag strap or something.

I know there use to be a website with handmade waist pouches and drink pouches that strap to your shoulder straps but, whoever had it stopped making them just as I found the site. :rolleyes: :(

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 03:31
Well, it all comes down to personal taste but it looks kind of cumbersome to me, like it would always be swinging or constantly bumbing or rubbing as you hiked. They do have waist belt attachment pouches that might be more stationary that maybe some of the other folks here would be able to help you find. Maybe EMS or any outfitter/armynavy store.
Just a thought.:)
Peace

RockStar
05-16-2007, 03:39
True true! Thanks!

warraghiyagey
05-16-2007, 03:40
True true! Thanks!

Yupperdoodle.

Nest
05-16-2007, 05:26
Well, the ammo pouches aren't waterproof. They have a grommet in the bottom for water to drain out, but they are highy water resistant. Basically, they are a thick tightly woven nylon. They aren't too bad if the weight works for you because that would be my only comment. Because they are designed to last a one year deployment in harsh environments, they are strong. They sometimes have plastic reinforcements to keep their shape, and some areas are stitched 3-6 times so the pouch doesn't get ripped or rot off. They also have a lot of metal hardware to attach the pouches, but mosgt of it can be removed if you don't need it. I would say try it if the price works. If you don't like it, find something at Neels Gap. They probably have a few things that would work too, and you wouldn't loose too much money with the ammo pouches since they are surplus and millions of them are out there.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-16-2007, 06:55
What about something like this:http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Vendor_Prod/ProdId/1502/RefId/29/RefType/Affiliate

Marta
05-16-2007, 07:06
I sewed a small silnylon sack on the waist belt of my pack. It's not heavy-duty, but it can hold a few small things. And while silnylon is waterproof, rain will definitely get in through the opening at the top.

Marta/Five-Leaf

greentick
05-16-2007, 07:39
Well, the ammo pouches aren't waterproof. They have a grommet in the bottom for water to drain out, but they are highy water resistant...

These pouches you are looking at actually have open tops. They are intended to receive empty magazines from your weapon to facilitate a rapid reload so you don't have to drop them or fiddle with putting them back in your (loaded) mag pouch. As mentioned above, they aren't waterproof at all. With minor care they will last forever.

Toolshed
05-16-2007, 08:10
Very early in the 80's,after I got out of the US army, and could afford no gear, I used to carry gear in my old gas mask pouch. It straps to the side of your leg and has a waist belt attachment - problem is it it is heavy and not really designed well for dayhikes (IMMHO). It was about the size of a purse.

RockStar
05-16-2007, 08:48
What about something like this:http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/Action/Vendor_Prod/ProdId/1502/RefId/29/RefType/Affiliate

Thats an idea! Nice, Thanks!

I sewed a small silnylon sack on the waist belt of my pack. It's not heavy-duty, but it can hold a few small things. And while silnylon is waterproof, rain will definitely get in through the opening at the top.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Im considering this if I can get my hands on a sewing machine and a teacher! I have lots of DWR 1.9ripstop! And I LOVE going crazy with the waterproofing! YEEHAW!:banana

These pouches you are looking at actually have open tops. They are intended to receive empty magazines from your weapon to facilitate a rapid reload so you don't have to drop them or fiddle with putting them back in your (loaded) mag pouch. As mentioned above, they aren't waterproof at all. With minor care they will last forever.

Glad I asked first!

Very early in the 80's,after I got out of the US army, and could afford no gear, I used to carry gear in my old gas mask pouch. It straps to the side of your leg and has a waist belt attachment - problem is it it is heavy and not really designed well for dayhikes (IMMHO). It was about the size of a purse.

Thanks for the input!

mountain squid
05-16-2007, 09:09
:-? What are you planning to put in your pouch? I use one of these (http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/pouches_waistpacks/Check-Out-Pouch-40327/) for my camera, ID/atm/credit cards and money. Always with me even if I remove my backpack.

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
mt squid

:confused: How come the freesmileys won't work on all the threads:(? Most perplexing...I was gonna give you back your ear of corn, but on the preview post only the link shows up...http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2330595962

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 09:37
250g=8.8oz There should be something else out there liter that would do the job. The sil one I use weighs about 1.5oz.

RockStar
05-16-2007, 09:50
:-? What are you planning to put in your pouch? I use one of these (http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/pouches_waistpacks/Check-Out-Pouch-40327/) for my camera, ID/atm/credit cards and money. Always with me even if I remove my backpack.

mt squid

:confused: How come the freesmileys won't work on all the threads:(? Most perplexing...I was gonna give you back your ear of corn, but on the preview post only the link shows up...http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2330595962

I KNOW I couldn't post smileys either! Showed up on my reply then when I posted it did the same thing as yours!

I plan on putting the same stuff you keep in yours. Maybe some candy and a map.

Marta
05-16-2007, 11:44
Im considering this if I can get my hands on a sewing machine and a teacher! I have lots of DWR 1.9ripstop! And I LOVE going crazy with the waterproofing! YEEHAW!:banana

The lazy hiker's (i.e., my) way to do this is to buy a little sack already made then sew it onto the waist band with a needle and thread. I have a machine and can sew, but the geometry of sewing into a backpack waistband made it easier to do by hand.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Nest
05-16-2007, 18:56

Ahhh, it was early and I didn't look at the link. I was thinking about the US military issue M16 and M249 mag pouches. They close at the top.

mountain squid
05-16-2007, 19:50
I plan on putting the same stuff you keep in yours. Maybe some candy and a map.

The Eagle Creek pouch thingy is probably too small for all that. I wear zip-off pants with cargo pockets. The current map and my snacks for the day go into the pockets.

mt squid

;) We want smileys, we want smileys...:D

RockStar
05-16-2007, 22:16
The lazy hiker's (i.e., my) way to do this is to buy a little sack already made then sew it onto the waist band with a needle and thread. I have a machine and can sew, but the geometry of sewing into a backpack waistband made it easier to do by hand.

Marta/Five-Leaf

I may try this or just to make me own.

The Eagle Creek pouch thingy is probably too small for all that. I wear zip-off pants with cargo pockets. The current map and my snacks for the day go into the pockets.

mt squid

;) We want smileys, we want smileys...:D

I did this and eventually my cargo pockets become rain gutters b/c of all the crap. :D

budforester
05-17-2007, 00:10
I've used a belt pouch for a long time; similar to this: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=9143&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1 but mine has velcro hangers on the back and loops on the ends. With lots of attachment options, it rides on my hipbelt, sternum strap, shoulder strap, daisy chain, compression strap, pants- belt, or hang it over a shoulder with a string. I carry camera, note paper, pencil, lip balm, etc. It's also handy for cell phone, fly box, archery stuff, on short trips to the park.

RockStar
05-17-2007, 06:11
Now THATS more like it! Thanks!