PDA

View Full Version : Catawba, VA

trippclark
05-16-2007, 09:31
I am trying to organize my next section hike from Pearisburg to Catawba for June. I am aware of the Homeplace Restaurant, and certainly plan to eat there, but I do not know much else about Catawba and what is available. My two biggest questions right now are: (1) is there a reasonably safe place to park a car somewhere near the trailhead for 5 days or so, and (2) is there a place where we can purchase a shower to get cleaned up after the hike. Any information on this (or any other good info re. Catawba) would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Tripp

Footslogger
05-16-2007, 11:01
Stayed here on my thru in 2003:

http://www.innsite.com/inns/B007765.html

Still listed on-line so I am guessing it's still available. Didn't have a car so don't know their policy on parking vehicles but it never hurts to ask. Proprietors (Dave and Lucy) were very nice to us and we were able to get our laundry done there as well.

Give em a shout ...

'Slogger

trippclark
05-16-2007, 12:22
Stayed here on my thru in 2003:

http://www.innsite.com/inns/B007765.html

Still listed on-line so I am guessing it's still available. Didn't have a car so don't know their policy on parking vehicles but it never hurts to ask. Proprietors (Dave and Lucy) were very nice to us and we were able to get our laundry done there as well.

Give em a shout ...

'Slogger

Thanks. I just sent them a note.

g8trh8tr
05-16-2007, 16:44
I parked at the USFS Dragon's Tooth parking area. I had no problems and area seemed to be pretty safe but you know how that goes. My vehicle was there for 4 days.

trippclark
05-16-2007, 16:50
I parked at the USFS Dragon's Tooth parking area. I had no problems and area seemed to be pretty safe but you know how that goes. My vehicle was there for 4 days.

Thanks. Yes, I just talked with a friend from Roanoke who told me that he thinks that the lot there is pretty safe. I am probably too trusting, but I have never had a problem so am not overly concerned now with the parking issue. I am even more reassured after your post (second opinion). I am still searching for a place for a shower if you or anyone has any ideas. I know that the other patrons at the Home Place would appreciate it if we showered off before eating there, and I'd sure feel better for the 5 hour drive back home.

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2007, 13:52
Can't answer your specific questions, but the post office was friendly and the little general store across the street was friendly and had some great food. I remember the cold salads and wonderful brownies in particular.

trippclark
05-24-2007, 10:08
Can any of you provide a phone number or e-mail address for the Home Place Restaurant?

trippclark
05-24-2007, 10:22
Can any of you provide a phone number or e-mail address for the Home Place Restaurant?

Never mind, I found it . . . 540-384-7252

Gaiter
05-24-2007, 13:38
If you ask around at the general store and post office, you might find someone or be directed to someone who can help you out w/ a shower. A local let me camp in her front yard, shower, do laundry, and feed me and another hiker steaks (wouldn't take a penny) when i went through there last summer, and there was mention of another local who was offering her house to shower and laundry for donations to help make ends meet.
don't know if those services would be available to a hiker w/ a car.

trippclark
05-24-2007, 14:27
If you ask around at the general store and post office, you might find someone or be directed to someone who can help you out w/ a shower. A local let me camp in her front yard, shower, do laundry, and feed me and another hiker steaks (wouldn't take a penny) when i went through there last summer, and there was mention of another local who was offering her house to shower and laundry for donations to help make ends meet.
don't know if those services would be available to a hiker w/ a car.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I do plan on arriving there a bit before my shuttle at the start of the hike so can do some checking around then. Since I will have a car, I'd even drive to the next exit or whatever for a truckstop with a shower. I'd just feel better being cleaned up before eating in a restaurant, and it would certainly make the 5 hour drive back home more comfortable.

By the way, how big is Catawba? How does it compare to trail towns south of there (Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus, Pearisburg)?

Gaiter
05-24-2007, 14:57
umm, from what i saw, there is a general store, a post office, and the homeplace, and a residential area that was bigger than i expected. much smaller than the ones you listed, but a bit bigger than troutdale va and the homeplace isn't open every day of the week, i was there on a weekday (the post office was open) but they were closed.

Groucho
05-24-2007, 23:09
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I do plan on arriving there a bit before my shuttle at the start of the hike so can do some checking around then. Since I will have a car, I'd even drive to the next exit or whatever for a truckstop with a shower. I'd just feel better being cleaned up before eating in a restaurant, and it would certainly make the 5 hour drive back home more comfortable.

Remembered from a long time ago: hiker talked about taking a shower here, about 16 miles from Catawba-

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&um=1&q=truck+stops&near=Cloverdale,+VA&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image

$9 a pop:eek: , but free if you buy 50 gal. of fuel.

minnesotasmith
05-24-2007, 23:12
Is that it's only open like 3 or 4 days a week. If you don't hit the area just right, TS for getting to eat there. I missed out on scheduling going through there right, during my thru. Sigh...

Lone Wolf
05-25-2007, 04:54
Is that it's only open like 3 or 4 days a week. If you don't hit the area just right, TS for getting to eat there. I missed out on scheduling going through there right, during my thru. Sigh...

thurs. - sun.

Gaiter
05-25-2007, 05:10
if i remember correctly the general store can make little personal pizza's, nothing special, comparable/slightly worse than (insert your least favorite major pizza chain name here)