PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a tent!

Spcshiznit
05-16-2007, 10:13
I知 pretty novice when it comes to hiking. The only experience I have is from the military. So, I知 wondering if some of you vets can recommend me a fairly inexpensive, light weight, and easy to set up 1 person tent for my 6 week section hike of the AT the summer. Thanks a million for helping a newb out!

Touch of Grey
05-16-2007, 10:22
The cheapest alternative is to use a trap and hopefully large enought that you can configure it in several ways along with your hiking poles or sticks found along the way. That in conjunction with a TYVEK or other ground cloth IMO would be the cheapest and space conscience (Pack wise) way to go. Of course as with al thing there are trade-offs that you should be aware of.

Possible configurations at A-Frame. Delta, Lean-To, Rain-Fly, etc. All configurations are dependent upon percieved conditions at that time.

Best of Luck! TOG

Green Bean
05-16-2007, 13:20
I recommend checking out EUREKA tents. they have some nice quality inexpensive single person tents ~GB

cannonball
05-16-2007, 13:24
Kelty makes a couple tents that are of good quality and reasonably priced.

What ever you do run as fast as you can if some one mentions hamocking. Do not be mis lead by thier half truths and deciet.:eek:

Heater
05-16-2007, 13:25
The cheapest alternative is to use a trap and hopefully large enought that you can configure it in several ways along with your hiking poles or sticks found along the way. That in conjunction with a TYVEK or other ground cloth IMO would be the cheapest and space conscience (Pack wise) way to go. Of course as with al thing there are trade-offs that you should be aware of.

Possible configurations at A-Frame. Delta, Lean-To, Rain-Fly, etc. All configurations are dependent upon percieved conditions at that time.

Best of Luck! TOG

Yeah, for a section in the summer go with a TARP or a hammock.:)

Heater
05-16-2007, 13:28

What ever you do run as fast as you can if some one mentions hamocking. Do not be mis lead by thier half truths and deciet.:eek:

Hammocks are OK (if not GREAT) if set up right.
YMMV...

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 13:29

Hey now I resemble that remark.:rolleyes:

Their nice, I would have problems long distance hiking without them. I am taking mine SOBO next month. But they aren't for everyone. Look into www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) . Tarptents are popular and get good reviews. Pricey but light.

If you go for a tarp, I would get good bugnetting.

Heater
05-16-2007, 13:37
Hey now I resemble that remark.:rolleyes:

Their nice, I would have problems long distance hiking without them. I am taking mine SOBO next month. But they aren't for everyone. Look into www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com) . Tarptents are popular and get good reviews. Pricey but light.

If you go for a tarp, I would get good bugnetting.

I would go with the tarp and bivy. or tarp and hammock. sleep under the stars when possible.

:)

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 13:40
I would go with the tarp and bivy. or tarp and hammock. sleep under the stars when possible.

:)

Yeah I would do some ytpe of tarp setup if I was on the ground. It is nice to setup in the rain and not get everything wet.

Quoddy
05-16-2007, 13:40
Have a look at Henry Shire's TarpTents. I have the Contrail which really does only take 90 seconds to put up, bug proof, and weighs only 24.5 oz. At $199 it's hard to beat for a 3 season shelter. Can be pitched in a multitude of ways.
http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

My avitar is using an alternative set up front beak:

A variation I'm trying out:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=4472#55645

Spcshiznit
05-16-2007, 15:43
Is this tent just too cheap?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B000N4MWIQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2/103-7664273-5221443

cannonball
05-16-2007, 16:25
Only 2 species hang when they are sleeping- bats and hammockers.

Seriously if you are going to think tarp check out the luna solo by sixmoon designs. 23 ounces of hiking fury.:)

hammock engineer
05-16-2007, 16:41

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B000N4MWIQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2/103-7664273-5221443

At 3lbs it is lighter than some and heavier than others. I think you get what you pay for. Too me it's storm protection looks suspect.

mudhead
05-16-2007, 17:03
Campmor.com

Go and look at some tents set-up. Some highly regarded tents are too short, spendy, or otherwise not what I would want. My tent is front entry. I do not like that. We all value different features, I now value side entry.

Maybe if, (like I did) you get something that is good enough, it will give you time to see the "mother load." I still have not seen it, but it is out there waiting for me. I don't have alot invested, so I will not be out alot.

Johnny Swank
05-16-2007, 17:21
I'd go with either a hammock or tarp / bug netting combo. REI (and I'm sure othplaces) have this bug netting thing to hang under your tarp, which would be fine to use in a shelter as well if you're into that sort of sleeping arraingement.

http://images.rei.com/media/581933.jpg

Penne
05-16-2007, 17:43
I'm going to second the Eureka tent suggestion. I bought a Eureka Solitaire tent from Amazon for 50 dollars with free shipping. Slept in it last night for the first time and was happy with it. It rained during the night and I didn't wake up to any puddles. It has been set up all day in the rain, but I haven't checked to see how it's holding up.

jesse
05-16-2007, 18:05
can you sew? Make your own. I am very pleased with my ray-way tarp. save $$$ over comprable commercial brands
http://www.ray-way.com (http://www.ray-way.com/)

Peaks
05-16-2007, 18:23
Like all equipment, always trade offs between size, weight, and price.

I recommend visiting your local outfitter and trying on a few tents. Set them up, put sleeping bag and other gear inside, and see if there's enought room for you to sit up, put on clothes, etc.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-16-2007, 18:49
Only 2 species hang when they are sleeping- bats and hammockers.

Seriously if you are going to think tarp check out the luna solo by sixmoon designs. 23 ounces of hiking fury.:)

Maybe opossums and sloths too?

Programbo
05-16-2007, 19:28
Ack..The only experience he said he had was the military so I`m sure he`s had his fill of sleeping out minus a real shelter so I`ll skip the tarp/hammocks...I second the person who suggested Eureka as making some inexpensive but nice quality tents..Try Ebay as there are lots of recently discontinued Eureka tents on there that are nice

T-Dubs
05-16-2007, 22:31
I知 pretty novice when it comes to hiking. The only experience I have is from the military. So, I知 wondering if some of you vets can recommend me a fairly inexpensive, light weight, and easy to set up 1 person tent for my 6 week section hike of the AT the summer. Thanks a million for helping a newb out!

Take a look at this comparison site. It does awhile to load up but there is a lot of information.

Tom

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ssn/GearDB/pc/Shelters/Double%20Wall%20Tents/index.html

RockStar
05-16-2007, 22:49
I had a Kelty Crestone1 and loved it. Wished it had a bit more head room but, then they came out with the Kelty Stick 1 and I own it. LOVE IT! However I have back problems and haev converted to hammocks, love them more! ;)

Egads
05-17-2007, 06:54
Spcshiznit,

I like several different set ups

1. A Hennessy BPUL w/ a MacCat tarp weighs ~2 lbs, packs small, provides bug protection, & can be bought for ~$200. Most comfortable set up for me

2. A tarp & Titanium Goat bivy weighs ~1.25 - 1.5 lbs, packs smaller, provides bug protection, & can be bought for ~$200.

3. A Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent weighs ~1.5 lbs, packs small, provides bug protection, & will set you back $235. (single wall)

You should also consider the Shires tarp tents (single wall), Big Agnes SL2, & MSR HubbaHubba (both double wall)

I use either option 1 & 2 depending on the hike & weather. You really have to try out a hammock to see if it's for you. I think it's WAY more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, or carrying a +5 lb tent. A personal preference when sleeping on the ground is to use an inflatable pad like a thermarest 3 w/ a Z-lite or Ridgerest pad. Though I recently heard that a 3/8" pad can be made much more comfortable by dishing out a low point in the ground for your hips / butt or adding a small amount of clothing at the small of your back. Both provide more uniform support eliminating pressure points.

Good luck figuring it out. I say that buying gear is the art of compromise. There is no one perfect solution to suit all conditions.

Cheers, Egads

Marta
05-17-2007, 07:05

The price is certainly appealing, but there are likely going to be problems with this tent. Specifically...fiberglass poles tend to splinter when stressed; the fabric is likely to tear under stress; the construction is probably not so great and you'll end up with broken zippers and other problems. It's also heavier than some one-person tents.

If it fits your budget, however, you might be willing to deal with its shortcomings. On a summer hike, you'll probably be okay. Definitely bring some repair stuff along, like nylon patch tape, pole repair sleeve, needle and strong thread.

Please let us know what you decide--we're all curious now.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Skidsteer
05-17-2007, 07:08
The price is certainly appealing, but there are likely going to be problems with this tent. Specifically...fiberglass poles tend to splinter when stressed; the fabric is likely to tear under stress; the construction is probably not so great and you'll end up with broken zippers and other problems. It's also heavier than some one-person tents.

If it fits your budget, however, you might be willing to deal with its shortcomings. On a summer hike, you'll probably be okay. Definitely bring some repair stuff along, like nylon patch tape, pole repair sleeve, needle and strong thread.

Marta/Five-Leaf

It also looks to be a condensation nightmare.

superman
05-17-2007, 08:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spcshiznit (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=363526#post363526)

You've gotten a bunch of good information so I'll just add this. I'd been a boy scout in the 50s. The current hiker ethics did not exist as they are and the gear was heavy....or was that just me. When I was in Vietnam the only thing I carried as a shelter was my poncho. It was required in my unit to carry a poncho so they would have something to haul us out on. When I got into hiking I started pretty much where I'd left off as a scout. I used an external frame pack, heavy tent and I quickly realized I could do it better. Since then I've been trying this and trying that. I usually use a tarp now but I've got many tents to pick from. I have many packs all with different characteristics. I've got a slew of sleeping bags of various weights and fill. I even have tried a light weight emergency sleeping bag for summer hiking...super light. The point of all this is that it doesn't matter so much what gear you opt for to start with....it is only your starting point. ALL gear is a consumable. Don't fall in love with any of it. Each piece of gear is only best suited for specific conditions on a specific hike. The next hike will have different conditions and something else may serve you better.

moxie
05-17-2007, 08:36
Superman and I are very nuch alike, older hikers who have over the years purchased, been given, or tried out about every piece of gear. I also have several sleeping bags, four stoves, and three backpacking tents and one or two inexpensive tarps. What I take depends entirely on weather, type if land I'll be hiking on and legenth of hike. On my thru I carried a small mountain hardware one man tent,(wanted bug net), an alcohol stove, and a 20 degree mountain hardware bag which I swapped for a summer bag when I hit Virginia. Base your decision on your hike and be prepared to change if your first choice doesn't work out. I have hiked the desert of Arizona, the Rockies in Montana, much of Atlantic Canada and I never take the same gear. My advice is simple, choose the gear that fits your hike. There is no set up right for every situation.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2007, 08:55
Another vote for what Moxie and Superman said. No single tarp or tent is right for every condition - what works on the very rainy and abundantly forested AT may be totally wrong for the desert sections of the PCT or above the tree line or mountaineering. Since you asked for a tent recommendation for six weeks on the AT in the summer months, you need to be sure that what you select will keep you and your gear dry, not fail when exposed to wind and keep the bugs off you. You will need a place to cook in rain and keep your gear dry.

As for cost - some of the lower cost options are viable, but don't expect them to perform as well or last as long as some of the more costly tents. Be sure to thoroughly seam seal the tent and test it (with a garden hose or in a pounding rainstorm) before taking it out.

budforester
05-17-2007, 09:04

I' m not confident with the design and would particularly worry about the polyethylene floor.

pumatrack
05-17-2007, 12:37
Try a Sierra Designs Lightning.... About $200 and weighs 4.3 lbs.

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2007, 12:59
Henry Shires TarpTent Rainbow. About 2 pounds and about $100 a pound!

Paul Bunyan
05-17-2007, 13:31
I have a Brawny tarp tent, have found it sets up better when tied to tree's, though. I would like to second the Henry Shire suggestion. They are very good tents. Also, one to check out would be the Hubba's by MSR. The are able to be set up with only the fly and bottom. Pretty nice.

icemanat95
05-17-2007, 14:16
I' m not confident with the design and would particularly worry about the polyethylene floor.

POS, there are much better options out there.

Guide Gear is the house brand of The Sportsman's Guide. This is K-Mart level stuff, fine for the occasional backyard campout, but not up to a real backpacking trip.

Jim Adams
05-17-2007, 14:22
tarps are my life and work great but if you are looking for a tent, you can't go wrong with a Hubba! if you choose the tarp....learn and practice set-up before starting.
geek

mooseboy
05-17-2007, 22:53
Sierra Designs' Clip Flashlight has been my only choice for a few years now:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39198381&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Sure, it's not ultralight: the whole thing is 4 lb. 6oz., but that's not really heavy either. I have never been dissatisfied with it. It's lasted out rainstorms without a single leak or damp corner, it's big enough for you and your stuff to get in without crowding (though it's listed as 2-person, it's really better as a roomy 1-person). Condensation is minimal, depending on how well you guy out the rain fly. Plus, it's a good price for a solid piece of equipment that will last you a long time.

I ended up going with this one after reading many positive reviews by other AT hikers... sure enough, it lived up to its reputation. You can also save $ by buying the previous year's model (new).

mooseboy
05-17-2007, 23:02
Or, come to think of it, if you wanna save another pound, the Sierra Designs Light Year seems to be a 1-person version of the Clip Flashlight... (though personally, I like having the extra space in the Clip for gear).

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39198380

But since I've never used this particular model, I can't vouch for its merits. It does seem very much like a close relative to the other tent, though.

hopefulhiker
05-18-2007, 08:41
The cheapest shelter besides a tarp, I think is the SlumberJack bivy type tent if you can fit into it... I really like the Shires tarp tents.. try to pick up a used one...

Jaybird
05-18-2007, 09:03

go to Campmor.com, REI.com, or Ebay.com & think LIGHTWEIGHT...under 3 or 4 lbs!:D
shouldnt be a haul for you compared to a heavy RUCKSACK!

Spcshiznit
05-18-2007, 14:11

Marta/Five-Leaf

Well, here's the update. I've been looking over tents for the past couple of days, and really appreciate everyones advice. I was leaning towards Rockstars advice with the Kelty Stick 1, and some other Eureka tents. Talking to another friend of mine I was telling him about my uncle who has a 2 man tent and was willing to let me use it. His advice sounded pretty good, which was to just take the free tent, get a feel of what you think you'd like from seeing other guys set ups, and if I feel the need to change it up just send it home, and buy something up there. It seemed to make sense, and that's probably what I'm going to do. My uncle's tent is pretty nice, and hiker quality (he's a gear freak, but hardly ever uses it). So, I'm going with trial and error.

mudhead
05-18-2007, 16:43
Smart.

The only issue I see is if it is a $400 tent and you manage to set it on fire.

I had a difficult time going from a two, to a solo. Less weight, but less space.

Some solo tents are downright tiny, urge you to crawl in anything before buying. I am glad I did...

Appalachian Tater
05-18-2007, 16:59
If size is a problem, the Rainbow is the answer:

http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/RAINBOW.pdf

It's 4 inches wider than a twin mattress and 2 feet longer. It's 43 inches high and because of the arch you don't have to worry about hitting your head when you sit up.

You can't stand up in it, though.

Programbo
05-18-2007, 20:39
Talking to another friend of mine I was telling him about my uncle who has a 2 man tent and was willing to let me use it. His advice sounded pretty good, which was to just take the free tent, get a feel of what you think you'd like from seeing other guys set ups, and if I feel the need to change it up just send it home, and buy something up there. It seemed to make sense, and that's probably what I'm going to do. My uncle's tent is pretty nice, and hiker quality (he's a gear freak, but hardly ever uses it). So, I'm going with trial and error.

That sounds fine..One thing I heard a lot when I sold gear was..."I don`t want to spend a lot on a (Pack,tent,whatever) because I`m not sure if I`ll like it (Hiking,camping,whatever)"...I would always reply..If you don`t spend enough on it that will ensure that you don`t like it...It`s always better to borrow or rent a better piece of gear than it is to buy something cheap..Unless of course you are camping out in the backyard as someone mentioned

superman
05-30-2007, 17:23
After I saw this thread and this tent I bought the tent. It was so cheap I couldn't help it. It was just delivered today. I like how light it is and that it has a big side door.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-..._id=4472#55645
I just set it up in my yard and we are expecting some days of rain.

stag3
05-30-2007, 20:58
After I saw this thread and this tent I bought the tent. It was so cheap I couldn't help it. It was just delivered today. I like how light it is and that it has a big side door.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-..._id=4472#55645
I just set it up in my yard and we are expecting some days of rain.

The link doesn't work.

rafe
05-30-2007, 21:44
Curious thing about tents is that they're all pretty good. If you consider the overall range of hiking gear -- packs, boots, stoves, sleeping bags, whatever -- there aren't many people who have terrible things to say about their tent. Most of them will get the job done. As with most other gear, you pay a premium for "lightweight." I've owned and had excellent luck with Eureka and Sierra Designs tents. I did manage to buy (and return) a new-ish Eureka tent that wasn't so hot. For ultra-lightweight (single-walled) tents, Tarptent is the brand to beat these days, although I hear the TinMan (Mr. Anti-Gravity Gear) has something up his sleeve.

ImkerVS
05-30-2007, 23:50
Yeah I bought a Eureka tent off E-bay and it works fine, it's a Spitfire. If you tent get a good sleeping pad!

Also have a Hennessey Hammock and it's very comfortable in warm weather. Also bought it off E-bay.

Leave the army boots at home.

oldbear
05-31-2007, 00:43
I'm going to second the Kelty suggestion . I've owned an earlier model of what Kelty is now calling a Crestone 2 and really liked it One of the things that I liked about it was it's long floor plan; 9'11" x 4' 11 " and tapering on both ends. I'm a tall person and if I take my 84" long , long sleeping bag and toss it inside an 86 -88 " long tent , I will definetly make contact with an end wall during the night. Something to think about.

superman
05-31-2007, 06:39
Maybe this link will work. I just went outside and checked it and it's dry inside the tent. I'm going to leave it up since we have more rain forecast. This is the cheapest tent I have ever bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Bac...664273-5221443 (http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B000N4MWIQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2/103-7664273-5221443)

Heater
05-31-2007, 12:15
Maybe this link will work. I just went outside and checked it and it's dry inside the tent. I'm going to leave it up since we have more rain forecast. This is the cheapest tent I have ever bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Bac...664273-5221443 (http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Backpacking-Tent/dp/B000N4MWIQ/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2/103-7664273-5221443)

Oh yeah. That's the one that was on another thread last week. You need to get it in a windy spot with some heavy rain to see if the water doesn't come in around that back corner to soak you inside. I'd be worried about that back corner.

gearfreak
05-31-2007, 12:40
Take a look at the Sierra Designs Light Year http://www.sierra-designs.com/tents.display.php?id=45 as a reasonably priced option.

superman
05-31-2007, 14:19
AUSTEX,
Yeah that would be a good test and this tent is certainly limited but for $15 plus $5 for shipping I don't expect it to be the best tent in the woods. I was surprised that it was still dry this morning after last nights hard rain. I'm going to leave it up for some more rain and see how it does.
I spent $300 for a moonbow tent that was like sleeping in a car wash. My personal favorite tent is my old Northface Slickrock but it has to be faced into the wind. If the wind changes the half fly can let the rain in. I have had many tents over the years. I had many years of service from an old pup tent. I had another medium priced tent that was fine until it reached a certain age and then it was good that the floor leaked as much as the roof or I would have drowned. Life is good

Heater
05-31-2007, 14:51
AUSTEX,
Yeah that would be a good test and this tent is certainly limited but for $15 plus $5 for shipping I don't expect it to be the best tent in the woods. I was surprised that it was still dry this morning after last nights hard rain. I'm going to leave it up for some more rain and see how it does.
I spent $300 for a moonbow tent that was like sleeping in a car wash. My personal favorite tent is my old Northface Slickrock but it has to be faced into the wind. If the wind changes the half fly can let the rain in. I have had many tents over the years. I had many years of service from an old pup tent. I had another medium priced tent that was fine until it reached a certain age and then it was good that the floor leaked as much as the roof or I would have drowned. Life is good

I have something that resembles an old pup tent weighs less than any of the newer silnylon tents but is made of a lesser quality material. (kerlon?)
I need to test it out before sinking bucks into another tent.

superman
06-01-2007, 10:03
This makes the second night the tent has stayed dry in the rain. The mesh is not micro-mesh. This is definately a better than nothing tent. It's a light weight one person tent. The thing that peeked my curiousity was the side loading door on it. I don't like dragging leaves and junk into my tent where my head will be. I think hiking sticks can replace the tent poles that come with it. For somebody that needs to go real cheap this might work. At $15 plus $5 for shipping you could replace it a bunch of times and still be cheaper than the $200 to $300 tents that a lot of people carry.

superman
06-02-2007, 08:03
OK, this is my final post on the cheap charlie tent. It rained like heck last night and the tent is dry. It may have some other problem that I haven't noticed but I've hiked with worse tents for a lot more money. At $15 for the tent and $5 for the shipping it's not a big mistake either way. I'm not selling the tent...just giving it a lay man's revue. Have a good hike.
tp://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Bac...664273-5221443

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2007, 09:51
The tent Superman is testing is very similar to a tarp tent I made for some else recently - he just uses a cord tied from above and staked to the ground -- the tent ridge hangs from that and is staked out to form the tent. The side with an entry has a wall of silnylon starting from the bottom and going up 14". The fly can be set up using treking poles or sticks to provide a covered area and better ventilation or can be attached to the tent body (two plastic pieces hold it out about 2" at the bottom to allow for cross ventilation with the vent in the apex.) It is very light and easy to set up.

mudhead
06-03-2007, 04:31
OK, this is my final post on the cheap charlie tent. It rained like heck last night and the tent is dry. It may have some other problem that I haven't noticed but I've hiked with worse tents for a lot more money. At $15 for the tent and $5 for the shipping it's not a big mistake either way. I'm not selling the tent...just giving it a lay man's revue. Have a good hike.
tp://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Bac...664273-5221443

Thanks for the heads-up. Good value for a weekend trip. Maybe someone trying to break in a teenager could use this, too.

Bare Bear
06-04-2007, 23:10
I am a tenter and suggest you borrow and sleep out in a variity of tents, hammocks, tarps, etc. to see what they give you. It is your choice and only you can decide which configuration will fit you the best. I like the tent, love the no bugs, holds up in a storm well, can sit up right comfortable, room for my gear inside but it weighs just over 3 pounds, was not cheap, but I like it.

superman
06-05-2007, 21:02
I am a tenter and suggest you borrow and sleep out in a variity of tents, hammocks, tarps, etc. to see what they give you. It is your choice and only you can decide which configuration will fit you the best. I like the tent, love the no bugs, holds up in a storm well, can sit up right comfortable, room for my gear inside but it weighs just over 3 pounds, was not cheap, but I like it.

By all means but I add that you should not fall in love with any piece of hiking gear. Each item you carry is only as good as it serves your needs today. I choose to use a tarp in the spring and the fall but I tent if I hike in the summer. It's all a very individual thing. Have a great hike.