PDA

View Full Version : Protection from insects

Deaner
05-17-2007, 01:25
I have endured some pretty horrible experinces because of flying arthropods, and dont seek another one where I am underprepared for them. I am curious what means you have found effective against black flies and mosquitos in ME-NH during early June-July.
Additionally I am a dedicated tarp camper, so I would like to incorporate some modular system of keeping bugs off during the bad times, that could then be cast aside as the season wears on.
Any help for both personal, and sleep protection would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Clean
05-17-2007, 03:30
I've used Natrapel with some success, but it wears off fairly quickly and won't give total protection for when the little buggers are out in full force. If you really want to hike bug free, it's Deet all the way. I use the 30% Deet which comes in a variety of brands. I've heard that anything over 30% doesn't offer much extra protection. Not sure if that's true, but the 30% works for me, only it won't keep them out of your mouth when they are swarming. Check out Backpacker magazines comparison chart of different bug repellants.

warraghiyagey
05-17-2007, 18:56
Deet all the way. Worked fine for me last year in Maine/NH. Also, they have a net that you can suspend over your sleeping bac for the nightime bug issue.

strnorm
05-17-2007, 20:44
cut a hole in the seat of your pants, then they will not fly around your face:D

Skidsteer
05-17-2007, 21:00
cut a hole in the seat of your pants, then they will not fly around your face:D

And you'll tend to hike faster.

Penne
05-17-2007, 21:01
...I've heard that anything over 30% doesn't offer much extra protection. Not sure if that's true, but the 30% works for me...

I've heard that 100% Deet is the way to go, but I'm not too keen to cover myself in 100% Deet. I was thinking a bug net for my head and this very thin, lightweight long sleeve shirt that I saw at Walmart for my arms. I think my legs will just have to suffer if the Deet doesn’t do the trick.

Gaiter
05-17-2007, 21:16
hike in late fall, winter, early spring
thats the only true protection against insects

Frosty
05-17-2007, 21:17
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I've
I'm not too keen to cover myself in 100% Deet.Buy 25% DEET, use twice as much and apply it twice as often for identical protection as you would get from 100% DEET.

warraghiyagey
05-18-2007, 00:56
Buy 25% DEET, use twice as much and apply it twice as often for identical protection as you would get from 100% DEET.

Ummmm . . . :confused:

Deaner
05-18-2007, 01:29
God bless modern chemistry. Strength to our friends and confusion to the bugs.

Deaner
05-18-2007, 01:31
Does anyone have experince with fastening strips of no-seeum netting to the periphery of a tarp, using velcro or plastic snaps? Or will the lack of a complete floor by our undooing

rbrfuture
05-24-2007, 13:40
Hey there,

I just finished sewing my RayWay Net Tent to hang inside my tarp. I altered the design and eliminated the silnylon floor, using just netting for the floor and tapering the ridgeline. It weighs 5 oz. and provides a complete shelter for me over my sleeping bag. I haven't USED it yet in Maine, but it looks pretty good!