PDA

View Full Version : How can I comfortably carry a 1 liter nalgene bottle on the outside of a Z55 pack?

Hikes with a stick
05-17-2007, 08:33
I normally carry a 2 liter camelbak, but I sent it in for repair, and it is not going to be back in time for my hike this weekend. I just got the Z55 a few weeks ago, I have not taken it out on a hike yet. I want to keep my nalgene somewhere where I can get to it without removing my pack, and I do not want it to flop around while I walk. Any suggestions?

D'Artagnan
05-17-2007, 08:47
That's a good question and I hope someone has the answer. It's the only reason I haven't bought one of the new Z55's -- NO DARN SIDE POCKETS.

1azarus
05-17-2007, 09:21
tie two thin shock chord loops on each shoulder strap above and below chest strap connection. use loops to hold two 3/4 liter gatorade bottles (ones with horizontal ridges work best) -- one on each shoulder strap. you may never go back to the water bladder. enjoy your weekend hike!!!

jrwiesz
05-17-2007, 09:21
I normally carry a 2 liter camelbak, but I sent it in for repair, and it is not going to be back in time for my hike this weekend. I just got the Z55 a few weeks ago, I have not taken it out on a hike yet. I want to keep my nalgene somewhere where I can get to it without removing my pack, and I do not want it to flop around while I walk. Any suggestions?
Attach to shoulder straps with a carbiner maybe add velcro to bottle and shoulder strap to stop the swinging back and forth. There are also quite a few pouches/holders available for those type bottles, get one of them and devise a method to attach to shoulder or hip strap.:-?

fos
05-17-2007, 09:27
Get a water 1-liter bottle parka with a big loop (OR makes some), and slide it over your hipbelt, all the way back toward the packbag as far as it will go. This should hold it without bouncing, but if it moves around still, or tends to fall off when you take your pack off, undo and then refasten any hip-tensionser straps over the bottle parka.

Weldman
05-17-2007, 16:05
Why use a Nalgene bottle, just go get one or two 24oz bottles w/foam
holders at your local dollar store, it has a carbiner clip to attach it on your pack. You can even replace them with soda bottles!

Mike

NICKTHEGREEK
05-17-2007, 16:39
That's kinda sad in a way. Seems like pack makers just got the hang of mesh water bottle pockets, and now phttt, they're gone. I'm just not all that crazy about hydration tubes and bladders, and actually enjoy stopping to take a drink from a nalgene bottle. Gregory makes a "holster" for your Nalgene that kinda slips over most hip belts. Some better than others of course.

Weldman
05-17-2007, 22:45
Nick,

Get use to seeing technical type packs w/o bottle holders . Both my wife and I use the holders that I mention in my last post. We have technical packs- REI Catalyst 55 & Aries 35L

Mike

Furlough
05-18-2007, 06:05
I copied the attachment from current AT hiker Barbara Corley's Trail Journal (Prep #12) http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167119

I think it is a pretty good idea and I may try it with one of the back backs I own that has no side pockets.

Furlough

1azarus
05-18-2007, 07:26
yes furlough, that's almost exactly what i was suggesting in post three, but instead of fussing with velcro straps, the light weight shock chord in the same configuration is easier to use and weighs less. you just need to make sure the loop is small enough to hold the ridged plastic bottle well... for aquamira users, it means you can fill/treat half your water supply at a time, and without taking your pack off!!!

Slosteppin
05-18-2007, 08:01
OR makes a water bottle pocket with a Velcro "belt loop" that fits many backpacks. I got one for $10 at the local outfitters, for a different purpose.
I prefer the hydration and hose. My Z55 should arrive any day.

Slosteppin

Hikes with a stick
05-18-2007, 08:52
Why use a Nalgene bottle, just go get one or two 24oz bottles w/foam
holders at your local dollar store, it has a carbiner clip to attach it on your pack. You can even replace them with soda bottles!

Mike

Well, I already have two nalgene bottles, so there is no expense occured there. Here is why I like to use them:

-easy to clean, and does not retain taste or odors
-Very durable, not likely to crack or break
-Measurements already on the side, makes measuring cooking water easier
-Camelbak top makes it easy to drink and walk and not spill a drop
-Can be used as a weapon when full of water, just swing it
-Can be used as a hard water tight container for objects like medications, matches, electronics, etc.
-Can easily handle hot and cold liquids, won't burst when frozen
-Makes a handy rolling pin when making pizza on the trail
-Can be used to warm up the sleeping bag
-Good place to wrap duct tape around

I think I like the idea about having the water bottle on my belt loop. I'm hoping I can find some way to secure it underneath the belt stabilizer. I did try hanging it off my shoulder strap with a caribener, and when hung lower on the strap it was not that bad. I can easily pivot it up to my mouth for a drink...

Jaybird
05-18-2007, 09:08

NO mesh side pockets????

what were you thinking?

anyway...purchase a bottle holder & secure it to your hip belt...minimal movement is always good!:D

Lilred
05-18-2007, 12:52
I attach my 1 litre water bottles to my shoulder straps and use my chest strap to hold the bottle down. The chest strap goes over the carbiners and keeps the bottles in place.

Hikes with a stick
05-18-2007, 17:34
I attach my 1 litre water bottles to my shoulder straps and use my chest strap to hold the bottle down. The chest strap goes over the carbiners and keeps the bottles in place.

I suspect this works better for women than men... :D

Lilred
05-18-2007, 17:50
I suspect this works better for women than men... :D

I don't know, learned this trick from Rain Man.....:D