PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Question... Massachusettes

DawnTreader
05-18-2007, 10:57
I'm ending a section in Mass this season. I need to know what the easiest way to get off the trail, and back to Michigan via Greyhound. What town in Mass. is most convient for this service?? Where do most people Bus out of Mass? Thanks for the help.

p.s. I'm hoping to make it past Mt. Greylock

rafe
05-18-2007, 11:04
North Adams/Williamstown are decent-sized towns, and the trail runs right through North Adams. Should be plenty of transportation services out of either of these towns. Williamstown has a fancy college, so I'm sure there's good bus service. For decent-sized airports: Albany, NY is about an hour west, and Boston MA is about 2.5 hours east.

Footslogger
05-18-2007, 11:10
Check out Concord Trailways:

http://www.concordtrailways.com/boston_south_station.htm

My wife and I did an AT section last year up in New England and found that Concord was our best bet in terms of transportation to/from the airport. However there are other bus lines that run up and down that area. Lots of small airports up there but I'd suggest to you that the best bet is getting to Boston. More flight choices.

'Slogger

max patch
05-18-2007, 13:29
Ive used Peter Pan out of Williamstown, MA (MA-VT border).

Peaks
05-18-2007, 16:33
You will need to catch a bus either in Williamstown or North Adams. Probably Williamstown is best. From there, the nearest airport is Albany.

Pittsfield should also have bus service to Albany. You can take the local bus from Dalton into Pittsfield. In fact, local bus will take you from almost any Mass town to the bus connections in either Pittsfield, Williamstown, or North Adams.

SHORTCUT
05-18-2007, 18:42
Pittsfield also has a AmTrack train every afternoon going west to Chicago. It stops at Albany Station for a train change, then on west

warraghiyagey
05-18-2007, 19:32
I'm ending a section in Mass this season. I need to know what the easiest way to get off the trail, and back to Michigan via Greyhound. What town in Mass. is most convient for this service?? Where do most people Bus out of Mass? Thanks for the help.

p.s. I'm hoping to make it past Mt. Greylock

Hey Dude,
Actually, if you intend to fly there are numerous shuttles between Pittsfield and Albany airports. As well you can catch a train or bus from there all the way home.
If you make it to Dalton stop by Tom's. True Grit and I had a great three days there last year before I got off the trail and he moved on. PM me and let me know how your plans are coming and enjoy NH and Vermont.
Peace:)

Turtle2
05-20-2007, 19:11
A bus leaves the Williams Inn in Williamstown each day at 10 am. If you can predict your arrival at least 7 days in advance, it costs almost half the same day fare. Clean bus, on time.