PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Park/Summiting Katahdin

stringbean
05-18-2007, 11:47
My friend and I just recently finished planning for our Connecticut to Maine section. We are leaving in exactly 2 weeks, and one thing I noticed is that it seems to be quite difficult to stay overnight in Baxter. The guide book says a very fit hiker can hike from Abol Bridge to summit Katahdin and then return to the campground at the bridge. That seems kind of insane to me, given that most people would want to spend some time enjoying this final leg of the hike. What are my options aside from this ridiculous hike or getting lucky and scoring a spot at the Birches campgound?

weary
05-18-2007, 12:44
My friend and I just recently finished planning for our Connecticut to Maine section. We are leaving in exactly 2 weeks, and one thing I noticed is that it seems to be quite difficult to stay overnight in Baxter. The guide book says a very fit hiker can hike from Abol Bridge to summit Katahdin and then return to the campground at the bridge. That seems kind of insane to me, given that most people would want to spend some time enjoying this final leg of the hike. What are my options aside from this ridiculous hike or getting lucky and scoring a spot at the Birches campgound?
Call the park and see if they have vacancies. Use is down a bit in Baxter as in most other primitive parks. Also the chances are excellent that space will be available in the Birches, since you will arrive ahead of most thru hikers, I suspect.

Be a bit flexible in your time of arrival. Midweek is best. And campsite. Abol campground as opposed to Abol Bridge is an easy couple of miles from Katahdin Stream.

Since you are coming from Connecticut, it is difficult to pick an exact arrival date for reservations. But there's a lot to see and do in Maine. If you have the time, pick the latest possible arrival time for Baxter and if you find that you are running ahead of schedule, you'll find plenty of interesting alternatives to keep you busy.

Finally, you are right. Abol Bridge to the summit and back to Abol Bridge in one day is insane for most hikers

Weary

stringbean
05-18-2007, 14:02
Thanks Weary, I think everyting will work out ok. I just have to make sure I am back to work for the 17th of August; I have been given a generous leave of absence from work. I plan on summitting around the 10th, a Friday, in order to arrive back home in time.

TJ aka Teej
05-18-2007, 14:09
Hi Stringbean,
You'll qualify for spots at the Birches Long Distance campsite and lean-tos. You'll have a good idea when you get to Monson if you'll be finishing with a large bunch, and you can call ahead to BSP to take advantage of a little known reservation quirk that might allow you to reserve a Katahdin Stream Campground over the phone with a credit card as much as ten days in advance. When you get to Monson, you'll be able to project out to what day you'll get to the Park. All that being said, Baxter Park Rangers tell me that since the AT site was moved away from Daicey Pond no finishing northbounder has ever been turned away, and all who have wanted to have found spots *somewhere* in Park. Check with WB member/AT 2000 miler Bluebearee, the new for '07 Abol Bridge Trailrunner, when you hike out of the Wilderness about getting a spot inside the Park.
have fun!

PJ 2005
05-18-2007, 15:40
Ditto on the Birches. No worries.