PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated foods near Atlanta

jmcdonou
05-18-2007, 19:00
Does anyone know of a store that sells dehydrated foods like refried beans, instant hummus mix, Cheese Sauce mix. I've got a dehydrator and done some shopping at harmony house foods but I've got a June 11th deadline and I'm trying to get some last minute recipes whipped up.

I was also wondering if anyone has seen the foil pouches of chicken that can be bought in bulk. I tried Sams and Costco without any luck.

Thanks in advance

jmcdonou
05-18-2007, 19:32
I'm also having a hard time finding powdered buttermilk. Any guesses with that?

sarbar
05-18-2007, 21:27
I'm also having a hard time finding powdered buttermilk. Any guesses with that?
Try the baking aisle for that one :)
If you want to make an easy cheese sauce mix:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=1506124
I put that up this week, very easy to make and works well with most starches.

Two Speed
05-19-2007, 03:42
Don't know if you get down to Marietta much, but if you do Life Grocery in Marietta carries some superior dehydrated refried beans. Haven't looked for instant hummus, but I'll check around the next time I'm in there.

mudhead
05-19-2007, 10:48
Don't know if you get down to Marietta much, but if you do Life Grocery in Marietta carries some superior dehydrated refried beans. Haven't looked for instant hummus, but I'll check around the next time I'm in there.

Brand? Always looking for bulk, edible, refries.

orangebug
05-19-2007, 21:11
Dehydrated hummus?

I can't imagine hummus without the oil.

Look for dehydrated chickpeas and garlic powder, bring olive oil and try to make a go of it from there.

sarbar
05-20-2007, 00:29
Dehydrated hummus?

I can't imagine hummus without the oil.

Look for dehydrated chickpeas and garlic powder, bring olive oil and try to make a go of it from there.
Easy! If you use instant hummus, just add oil when rehydrating. A packet of it from Minimus works perfectly.
Btw, making hummus at home (minus the oil) and dehydrating, then powdering in a blender is good stuff :) I add the oil as mentioned above.
I love mine with chili powder!

Two Speed
05-20-2007, 08:44
Brand? Always looking for bulk, edible, refries.The dehydrated beans are "Taste Adventure." Most excellent on tortillas with grated cheese, diced onions, etc. Haven't checked for instant hummus so I can't say what brand Life carries or if it's any good.

jmcdonou
05-21-2007, 15:36
Two Speed, thanks for your help with the beans. I made the trek to the Big Chicken today.

sarbar, thanks for the link for the cheese, I think I'll do that rather than ordering some gourmet from the web. It took me 4 different stores before I found the buttermilk.

If anyone in Ga knows of a place to get instant hummus thatd be great, If not I don't think I'll starve

Ewker
05-21-2007, 15:41
have you checked Whole Foods. They have stores in the Atlanta area
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/index.html

Dances with Mice
05-21-2007, 17:44
If anyone in Ga knows of a place to get instant hummus thatd be great, If not I don't think I'll starveI thought Kroger carried it in their Health Food section, usually near the produce area. I could be wrong.

Skidsteer
05-21-2007, 17:49
I thought Kroger carried it in their Health Food section, usually near the produce area. I could be wrong.

I have seen it in Kroger and Publix as well.

jmcdonou
05-21-2007, 18:41
Thanks. I'll try again.
Can you think of any name brands that I can run by customer service? I went to 4 grocery stores today stocking up my FBC kitchen and I'm kinda shopped out

Skidsteer
05-21-2007, 19:09
Thanks. I'll try again.
Can you think of any name brands that I can run by customer service? I went to 4 grocery stores today stocking up my FBC kitchen and I'm kinda shopped out

I think it was Fantastic Foods brand (http://www.mannaharvest.net/images/1247/06033C.gif).

jmcdonou
05-21-2007, 20:49
Thanks alot. Can't wait to do some more grocery shopping

sarbar
05-21-2007, 21:46
Fantastic Foods makes refried beans and hummus, and Casabah makes the hummus. Taste Of Adventure makes the tastiest beans!

jmcdonou
05-22-2007, 14:57
1 more thing. Has anyone seen the instant hashbrowns in the milk carton around Atlanta?(Or any other instant hashbrowns) I haven't seen them since Boy Scouts.

I appreciate every ones help, I found the Fantastic Foods hummus at Kroger in Sandy Springs. One of the employees also let me know you can buy instant hummus in the Koser section. Those Taste of Adventure beans are pretty good