PDA

View Full Version : Bridge out at VA 635, Stony Creek, AT mile 643.5

EarlyBird2007
05-19-2007, 05:57
According to locals and trail maintainers, this bridge has been out for at least 2 years. However, it isn't in either Wingfoot's or ALDHA's guides. I wonder why.:-? There are two options to get over the creek. 1. There's about a one mile path around the bridge. Watch for the signs. 2. It's not that hard to ford the creek. I wouldn't try right where the bridge was. Look upstream (to the left if you are northbound) about 50 to 100 yds and you'll see a shallower, smoother place to ford. I did so with campshoes on and the water didn't even come up to my knees.

By the way, the maintainers (or someone) are working on a new bridge. Some of the footers are already done. However, rumor has it that the contractor has walked off the job. Does anyone know anything more?

neighbor dave
05-19-2007, 07:00
:-? me and chickety forded it in "05". peice o' cake.:-?

Cookerhiker
05-19-2007, 07:43
According to locals and trail maintainers, this bridge has been out for at least 2 years. However, it isn't in either Wingfoot's or ALDHA's guides. I wonder why.:-? There are two options to get over the creek. 1. There's about a one mile path around the bridge. Watch for the signs. 2. It's not that hard to ford the creek. I wouldn't try right where the bridge was. Look upstream (to the left if you are northbound) about 50 to 100 yds and you'll see a shallower, smoother place to ford. I did so with campshoes on and the water didn't even come up to my knees.

By the way, the maintainers (or someone) are working on a new bridge. Some of the footers are already done. However, rumor has it that the contractor has walked off the job. Does anyone know anything more?

I forded it right by the defunct bridge on my April 2005 SOBO section hike. Water was frigid! The washout occurred September 2004 - Hurricane Jeanne.

Blissful
05-21-2007, 18:57
:-? me and chickety forded it in "05". peice o' cake.:-?

Don't do it after a rain. Some guys we know did it and it was up to their thighs. Go the road and there's trail magic on the way. (though they also left some on the trail for the river adventurers)

Kerosene
05-21-2007, 21:57
I did it (my first ever ford) in late May 2005, after reading a few entries in the Bailey Gap Shelter about earlier NOBOs having water past their hips. I was pretty nervous, but I got through at the bridge site with water only up to my knees. It helped to have poles. I wouldn't want to try after a big rain.

BlackCloud
05-22-2007, 16:30
After fording it myself just below the bridge site, I realized that the place to go was .1 miles upstream - much shallower....

Lone Wolf
05-22-2007, 21:17
oh god!!:eek: y'all ford that?! how frightening!

spittinpigeon
05-22-2007, 21:41
1. There's about a one mile path around the bridge. Watch for the signs. ?

It's much longer than a mile, I was out there in the dark and I was starting to wonder where the heck I was.

thecaptain
05-22-2007, 22:27
I live one mile below the bridge that is out....it is an easy wade (ford) during normal late spring and summer: however, many times during the spring and after heavy rains it will be a difficult or impossible crossing....If going north bound I would check the level at the bridge out sign an make you own call....as for the road walk it is 1.5 mile.....the distance is written on the road at 1.5 , 1 , and .5 miles...yes there is magic on both the AT and the road walk....one in my yard and the other across the creek from my house...and on June 2nd there will be a hiker feed at my house mile marker 641.9 from springer 1.5 miles north pf Pine Swamp shelter...have the run of my place...hot tub internet.....tent in my yard come by friday night if you like......tent in my yard anytime
Mike De Hart
"The Captain"

BlackCloud
05-23-2007, 09:05

I'm still in therapy....

BlackCloud
05-23-2007, 09:10
Cpt:

This past weekend I got a flat @ the Interior picnic area. Problem was the rim on my spare didn't fit my truck!

Thank god for your nice neighbor Richard, who lives just north of Interior and south of Cherokee Flats on the dirt road going up into the Nat'l Forest (2nd house on left - white - he's building a garage). He hooked me up with his buddies who run the auto repair shop just south of the cement mill.

He and his pretty wife (Julie maybe?) were very kind.

If you know them, please thank them one more time for me. I consider them to be friends of the trail.

thecaptain
05-23-2007, 11:54
Blackcloud.....I'll tell Richard

neighbor dave
05-27-2007, 07:30
:-? we're rugged indivisuals!!!:-?
the water wuz up to me ankels:eek:

Fannypack
05-27-2007, 09:38
we are not Marines but we can do I few things...ha ha:D