PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bag need for thru hike?

2009ThruHiker
05-19-2007, 09:55
We currently have 30degree down bags. I'm wondering with a mid to late march departure date, should we get a warmer bag for the beginning and end, or a cooler summer bag and use the 30 degree bags for the beginning and end?

DavidNH
05-19-2007, 10:21
I would reccomend you get yourself a second sleeping bag.

A 30 degree bag, with a mid to late march start from Springer will be marginal at best and very uncomfortable at worst. You can expect temperatures down at leat into the 20's at night for first week at least. Temperatures could get to the teens given a mid march start. Yes you are starting out in the deep south, but you are hiking at 3000-4000+ foot elevations. As a New Englander, I was surprised how chilly it could be in the south in early spring. Fortunately, I had the white blaze folks here to learn from! I had a March 21'st start date at at Springer.. and on at least a couple nights I was chilly, despite a 10 degree bag, wearing long johns hats and mittens and sleeping in my tent. Oh..and hopefully, you won't be camping on the SUMMIT of Springer like I did! Man that was a cold night!

I would suggest a bag good down to at least 20 degrees or perhaps even 10. By the time you get to the mid atlantic states in June and July things warm up quick to the 80s and above and even the nights may be warm. At these times a 30 degree bag may be too warm. But you can get by in the summer with a 30 degree bag.. you may just end up sleeping on top of it (in which case you want a tent or tarpt tent for bug protection.

I would suggest sticking with down though (as opposed to synthetic) and just take every possible percaution to keep the bag dry (water proof stuff sack, pack liner, pack cover).

Don't try to save money on sleeping bags. You want to be comfortable at night so you can sleep and be rested for the next money. Get the best you can afford!

DavidNH (snickers)

PS.. if you are still looking for good shelter.. take a look at the tarp tents (www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)).

fiddlehead
05-19-2007, 22:44
I use a micro fleece sleeping bag liner (about 1 lb) for the colder months and climates. It weighs about a lb. You can find them online or make your own to perfectly fit your bag (better idea) Adds about 10 deg. IMO

rusty075
05-20-2007, 03:03
I think there's too many variables to really get a "right" answer to these kinds of questions.

Case in point: I started a week earlier than Snickers did last year, so we were hiking in exactly the same weather. But while he was shivering in his 10 degree bag I was toasty warm in my 35 degree one.

The difference? Lots of things: different bag manufacturers, different clothing worn inside the bag, different sleeping pad between you and the ground, but mostly, different people. What works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else.

Personally, I've found that going from "boxers and T-shirt" to long underwear, beanie hat, socks, and liner gloves adds about 20 degrees to the rating of my sleeping system, so I was comfortable even on the nights when we woke to snowdrifts inside the shelters.

Since you've got a lot of time before your hike, I would do some personal testing with your current bags before committing money to buying extra new ones. Just wait until this fall when the nightime temps in your area get down into the teens, and then set up your tent and bags in the safety of your own backyard. That will tell you what works for you.