PDA

View Full Version : Why are all the "Life is Good" shirts cotton?

RockStar
05-19-2007, 10:07
I LOVE these shirts but, they are all 100% cotton! Does anyone know why? I would think there is a good reason. Otherwise I have no effin idea why they wouldn't offer at least a few in wicking fabric.:-?

BigwaveDave
05-19-2007, 10:26
I wrote the company about it, no reply yet.

"Not all who wander are lost"LIG

buckowens
05-19-2007, 10:32
I have wondered the same about the ATC, Moosejaw and some others. I would say it is purely a cost thing as it would really bump up the price. I am also a "Life is Good" fan and am drinking from my coffe mug at this time...

squeeze
05-19-2007, 10:54
http://www.lifeisgood.com/category/men/shop-fitness/good-tech-tees.aspx (http://www.lifeisgood.com/category/men/shop-fitness/good-tech-tees.aspx)

Stay dry. Smell good. Be cool: The Good Tech® Tee helps you do it all with superb moisture-wicking and anti-microbial properties. 100% textured polyester. New raglan sleeves for free range of movement and a classic athletic look

Cuffs
05-19-2007, 14:25
I have some of their "tech t's"... We have a Jake Outdoors store here and all they carry is the LIG stuff... including poly shirts...

RockStar
05-19-2007, 18:29
OH MY HOLY LORD! *worships the Poly LIG shirts* How do they fit? Don't wanna waiste 30 bucks! :D

Gadog430
05-21-2007, 08:10
My daughter has one. She wore it out she used it so much.

Dawg

weary
05-21-2007, 09:27
There's nothing wrong with cotton when worn most of the year in most climates. Well, aside from not being the latest fad.

I wear cotton year round, but I'll concede some safety and comfort benefits to polyester on cold, wet winter days.

But by the same token cotton has advantages during the summer. We all wear cotton when working around our yards and gardens. Yet many won't venture a walk further than the mailbox without $30 high tech tee shirts fashioned from delightful crude oil imported from Saudi Arabia or South America.

Weary

Mags
05-21-2007, 10:52
There's nothing wrong with cotton when worn most of the year in most climates. Well, aside from not being the latest fad.

I hear you.

I get my "tech ts" for no more than $5 on clearence/sales or ahem "free" with the races I've entered in the past.

Of course, my backpacking shirt of choice is a polyester dress shirt I've purchased for $4 at a thrift store. The original recycling is reusing. ;) Fashionable it aint... But it does dry quickly, has a large pocket and I can button it or unbutton it as ventilation as needed.

Cotton is not bad per se, it is just terrible when it is cold and wet.

Weary's idea of getting backpacking clothes as cheap as possible is one I heartily endorse one way or another. Walking should not be complicated if possible.

Mags..wearing a comfy cotton T right now. (Maratona della Citta di Roma. A freebie from a distant cousin I met two years ago).

Johnny Swank
05-21-2007, 11:27
I'm with you on the ploy dress shirt. I wear a long sleeve button-down shirt year round now. Best $3 I've spent on gear in a long time. Wear like iron, and dries in a flash.

Mags
05-21-2007, 12:08
I'm with you on the ploy dress shirt. I wear a long sleeve button-down shirt year round now. Best $3 I've spent on gear in a long time. Wear like iron, and dries in a flash.

AND if you wear it with a tie, you are all set for town stops! :)

Spiffy!
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14207

QHShowoman
05-21-2007, 12:46
I have wondered the same about the ATC, Moosejaw and some others. I would say it is purely a cost thing as it would really bump up the price. I am also a "Life is Good" fan and am drinking from my coffe mug at this time...

The ATC does carry some "tech" tees now. I am wearing one as I type. If you are looking at the online ATC store, they're the ones with "wicking" in their description.

mudhead
05-21-2007, 13:06
I am as tight with a buck as can be.

Some things are worth the money.

CoolMax, and wicking polyester are two of them.

To me.

Cuffs
05-21-2007, 18:44
Oh, didnt mention that I got my LIG shirts on clearance!! They have a whole store dedicated to their "last year" stuff!

Marta
05-21-2007, 19:23
I LOVE these shirts but, they are all 100% cotton! Does anyone know why? I would think there is a good reason. Otherwise I have no effin idea why they wouldn't offer at least a few in wicking fabric.:-?

The most likely reason is because cotton is easier for screen printing. At least that's what the shop that does my company's T-shirts for work. I wanted to have the logo put on a wicking T-shirt for me to wear on my thru-hike (I mean, the boss was incredibly good about my six-month LOA) and the screen printing shop said the shirts I wanted wouldn't take the dye well.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Cuffs
05-21-2007, 20:11
http://www.cpostores.com/aloutdoors/browse.cfm/2,457.html

The LIG stuff starts on about page 4 and theres oodles of it. Some Good Tech t's... While I wouldnt consider their prices "clearance", since LIG stuff is priced so high anyway, I consider any discount a good thing on the LIG.

RockStar
05-21-2007, 23:56
http://www.cpostores.com/aloutdoors/browse.cfm/2,457.html

The LIG stuff starts on about page 4 and theres oodles of it. Some Good Tech t's... While I wouldnt consider their prices "clearance", since LIG stuff is priced so high anyway, I consider any discount a good thing on the LIG.

Im head first in this site! :p Thanks :D

attroll
05-22-2007, 00:00
The reason they are most likely cotton is because you can get cotton shirts printed for $6 or less with silk screened images on them.

If you think about it they have a shirt make for $5 and sell it for $10 or $15 they double the profits. In the case of these shirts they are selling for $30 so they are making a $25 profit on the shirt.

That would be my guess.

Gaiter
05-22-2007, 00:29
why do their 'fitness' shirts not come in xxl?

RockStar
05-22-2007, 03:07
The reason they are most likely cotton is because you can get cotton shirts printed for $6 or less with silk screened images on them.

If you think about it they have a shirt make for $5 and sell it for $10 or $15 they double the profits. In the case of these shirts they are selling for $30 so they are making a $25 profit on the shirt.

That would be my guess.

Actually the cotton ones are around 20 bucks. Stil substantial profit but, the tech wicking shirts of LIG are 30.

Lone Wolf
05-22-2007, 08:56

cuz they're made for tourists?

RockStar
05-22-2007, 09:20
cuz they're made for tourists?

Now it all makes more sense. The whole picture is complete. I'm gonna write a book of questions about all sorts of stuff and you are gonna answer them with one liners and Jack is gonna give the long answer. Then sell it. ;)