PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol spillage

funbun
05-19-2007, 14:47
I just got back from a short day hike. I had some alcohol spillage. I was storing it in a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. And I put the bottle inside a galon sized ziplock bag.

What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage

thanks,

funbun

P.S. I love my new Cat Stove.:D

applejack
05-19-2007, 15:32
a one liter platypus works fine for me - no extra baggie needed. talkin bout scotch, right?

funbun
05-19-2007, 15:44
a one liter platypus works fine for me - no extra baggie needed. talkin bout scotch, right?

na, homebrew . . . :o

warraghiyagey
05-19-2007, 15:48
. . .What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage
:D

Drink it before it has a chance to spill.;)

budforester
05-19-2007, 20:29
I just got back from a short day hike. I had some alcohol spillage. I was storing it in a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. And I put the bottle inside a galon sized ziplock bag.

What are you guys doing to prevent alcohol spillage

thanks,

funbun

P.S. I love my new Cat Stove.:D

I'm not having that problem, but I carry the fuel in a side pocket just- in- case and don't bag it. Maybe check that neither the cap nor bottle- rim are uneven, and don't have nicks or scratches; maybe change bottles anyway. Leave some airspace at the top, pack the bottle upright, avoid bumps and pressure on the bottle. I don't have much gear that would suffer from a splash of alcohol. Small spillages would evaporate pretty quickly.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2007, 20:42
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=77144&PRODID=59736

Soda or water bottles will eventually leak.

Condor
05-19-2007, 20:59
I bought some generic brand of "Heat" at the gas station once and I was in such a hury to get back on the trail that I didnt put it in my soda bottle and the whole bottle emptied in my pack It disolved all of the sil in the nylon of my pack, tarp, and all my stuff sacks. not to mention ruined all my food and my sleeping bag has never lofted like it used to after that. the problem was this brand of gas-line antifreeze didn't have the litle foil seal like heat has. leson learned: alwas put it in a soda bottle:(

budforester
05-19-2007, 21:26
I bought some generic brand of "Heat" at the gas station once and I was in such a hury to get back on the trail that I didnt put it in my soda bottle and the whole bottle emptied in my pack It disolved all of the sil in the nylon of my pack, tarp, and all my stuff sacks. not to mention ruined all my food and my sleeping bag has never lofted like it used to after that. the problem was this brand of gas-line antifreeze didn't have the litle foil seal like heat has. leson learned: alwas put it in a soda bottle:(

Sorry about your misadventure, but thanks for letting us know that sil- nylon is wrecked by those kinds of solvents. I like this fabric, but it's relatively new to me and I'm still in the learning curve; that's helpful information.

ritzhenson
05-19-2007, 21:37
Hey Funbun, I may be over doing it... But I keep my stove fuel in an MSR fuel bottle. No problems. Peace Dude! Ritz.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2007, 21:37
Alcohol is what you use to thin the silicone when seam-sealing a silnylon tarptent.

Not only can you ruin your equipment, you can find yourself without fuel. Soda bottles can leak at the lid and develop creases.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2007, 21:39
Hey Funbun, I may be over doing it... But I keep my stove fuel in an MSR fuel bottle. No problems. Peace Dude! Ritz.

Those things weigh almost as much as a week's worth of alcohol. A Nalgene such as I linked to above is lighter and almost as secure.

ShakeyLeggs
05-19-2007, 22:49
I use the Trangia fuel bottle for my alcohol. I have never had a leak and it is light as well. and makes pouring so easy.

http://www.thru-hiker.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TR103

budman5
05-19-2007, 22:56
Brasslite has one that measures and dispenses..http://www.brasslite.com/products.html

jlb2012
05-20-2007, 07:48
Alcohol is what you use to thin the silicone when seam-sealing a silnylon tarptent.

Actually alcohol is not the best choice for thinning silicone when seam sealing silnylon - low odor mineral spirits does a much better job - the reason is that the silcone cures in response to water and it is next to impossible to have alcohol without some amount of water also in the mix.

Appalachian Tater
05-20-2007, 08:52
Actually alcohol is not the best choice for thinning silicone when seam sealing silnylon - low odor mineral spirits does a much better job - the reason is that the silcone cures in response to water and it is next to impossible to have alcohol without some amount of water also in the mix.

Sorry, only ever did it once.

All those fancy bottles are heavy and expensive. With a Nalgene screwtop, it costs less than $2, is lighter, and you can see exactly how much fuel you have. You can also afford to have different sizes for weekend trips and one-week trips to reduce volume and weight.