PDA

View Full Version : Gortex hiking shoes ??

TripleG
05-19-2007, 15:32
I am wondering what people are using for hiking shoes......do you get gortex shoes to keep your feet dry ??

Thanks

warraghiyagey
05-19-2007, 15:45
It comes down as everything to personal preference. But as far as the gortex aspect of choosing footware it seems more popular on long hikes. Wet feet generally do not add to the charm of the trail. Gortex doesn't ensure this but it certainly does the job most days.:)
Dry feet are happy feet.

Quoddy
05-19-2007, 16:12
Once Gore-Tex gets wet it can take days to dry out. With a ventilated trail shoe it can be dry in a very short time, even while hiking. I tend to use XCR only in the winter, with gaiters to keep rain or snow out.

bigcranky
05-19-2007, 16:36
Waterproof shoes and boots all have the same flaw - a big hole in the top where water can get in. Once that water gets inside, it can't get out because the shoe is waterproof in both directions. You can prevent water from getting inside by wearing waterproof breathable gaiters, though they can be hot in warm weather. I like Goretex trail runners and Goretex gaiters in winter, since the extra warmth is nice, and the w/b membrane keeps my feet dry in the snow. But for three-season hiking in the SE, mesh trail runners are great. Yes, my feet get wet, but they dry out fast.

Peaks
05-19-2007, 18:19
Like Big Cranky, I think that my feet get wet from water running down my legs and into the boot. So, a membrane doesn't do anything to prevent that. Even with gaitors, it runs down around the top.

Frankly I think that goretex may be more of an indicator of a quality boot rather than function.

Chef2000
05-20-2007, 07:10
I always wear gortex boots and gaiters, regardless of the temp. Yesterday I hiked four miles in the rain on the AT, it was a cool day so i wore my complete Marmot precip suit jacket and pants. My feet were dry and the precip suit works great, had to open the jacket a bit and remove my hat when I heated up on the ups.

Frosty
05-20-2007, 08:11
Nothing will keep your feet dry after three days of rain, even Gore-tex, and as someone said, so-called waterproof boots take forever to dry once they do get wet.

Hiking with wet feet is part of hiking.

Tipi Walter
05-20-2007, 08:38
Of late I've been sort of stuck on a pair of Asolo goretex boots, FSN or SNF or some similar designation. I'm on my second pair now and will probably continue to purchase them in the future(they last me about 2 years a pair).

I used to use a full leather boot but they are heavy when wet and take forever to dry. In the dead of winter a frozen leather boot can be a problem, the Asolo nylon/leather combo is lighter when wet and takes a shorter time to dry out.

One big advantage to goretex is on stream crossings as often I cross in 4 or 5 inches of water and the goretex boots keep me dry. Any deeper of course and it's to the wading shoes, but many creek crossings only require shallow immersion over rocks and for this the goretex will keep my all-important socks dry.

Slosteppin
05-20-2007, 08:50
My suggestion is "try it and see." what works for someone else may not work for you, and the reverse is also true.

I wore Goretex lined leather boots for hiking and backpacking for many years. One year I hiked 15 days on Isle Royale. It rained 9 days. My feet stayed dry, sweaty yes but not wet from rain. Only one time, in northern MI, did my feet get wet wearing Goretex lined boots. I threw the boots away soon after.
A few years ago, hiking in NH, it rained for the first 3 nights. I was wearing mesh trail runners. I had wet feet for 3 1/2 days from wet grass & brush. The shoes were dry before noon the 4th day.

This year I'm trying Goretex lined trail runners for the first time. I've already hiked in snow, mud and shallow water. No problems yet.

If the same gear worked for all of us we would have less choices.

Slosteppin

fiddlehead
05-20-2007, 08:51
Ditto what Frosty said!

sparky2000
05-20-2007, 09:19
On the trail I've noticed more and more people with sandels and socks. The fastest I've seen so far wore sandels. Ask the tike what she likes.

crzy33w
05-20-2007, 12:48
I have yet to start my thru hike, but im considering regular ole running shoes for the temperate weather, they dry fast, lightweight, inexpensive, ccomfortable, flexible in the rougher terrain. Any completed thru hikers have anythin to add to this? pro's -- con's?

Kerosene
05-20-2007, 18:19
I concur with some of the others, Gore-tex boots may keep your feet dry for much of a day, but eventually they'll get wet, and when they do they take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry out. Unfortunately, a vast majority of the boots out there that fit my feet only come in Gore-tex. I'm looking to try out trail runners on my next section hike.

Slosteppin
05-20-2007, 18:37
I have yet to start my thru hike, but im considering regular ole running shoes for the temperate weather, they dry fast, lightweight, inexpensive, ccomfortable, flexible in the rougher terrain. Any completed thru hikers have anythin to add to this? pro's -- con's?

I've not thru hiked. Flyin Brian Robison (first to hike the 3 long trails in one year) wore trail runners. Andy Skurka (hiked across the continent coast to coast in 1 year) also wore trail runners. He did wear overboots when using snowshoes in MI, WN and MN.

Slosteppin

fiddlehead
05-20-2007, 21:21
When we started my first CDT hike in '98, out of 7 hikers starting at Antelope Wells that day, ALL but one had trail runners. (and he quit soon)
Of course that's not the AT and not as rocky but your ankles should be in shape by the time you hit the real rocks ( that is unless your carrying 40+ lbs. )

Lyle
05-20-2007, 22:43
When I used to wear boots, I was pleased with goretex lined Vasque Sundowners. This is the one application where goretex did seem to help in my experience.

Since I now use lightweight trail shoes, I no longer worry about goretex.

As already mentioned, it only works if you can avoid any water deeper than your shoe top, it does take much longer to dry once wet. If you choose not to wear waterproof gaiters (very hot), then water will just run down your leg and soak your socks anyway, whatever type boot or shoe you use.

As said earlier, totally a personal choice, unfortunately a rather expensive item to experiment with, and you can't rent or borrow a pair to try out.

Peaks
05-21-2007, 18:00
I've not thru hiked. Flyin Brian Robison (first to hike the 3 long trails in one year) wore trail runners. Andy Skurka (hiked across the continent coast to coast in 1 year) also wore trail runners. He did wear overboots when using snowshoes in MI, WN and MN.

Slosteppin

As I recall, they also carried very light packs. If you are carrying even moderate weight packs, then I would recommend a more substantial shoe.