PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers Temps & Re-supply

Kerosene
05-19-2007, 17:13
After 23 years with the same company I just resigned to take a new job. It looks like I'll be able to squeeze in 5-6 days in southern Virginia, SOBO from Atkins to Damascus or maybe Shady Valley (75 and 90 miles respectively). Even better, I'm planning to do the 30-mile Mt. Rogers section again with my daughter in mid-August.

I know that the rule-of-thumb is for NOBO thru-hikers to keep their winter gear until Pearisburg, so I plan to bring my 20-degree bag and cool-weather gear for the early June trip unless someone thinks I can get away with my 32-degree bag. What would folks recommend for mid-August?

Also, I'd like to re-supply somewhere between Atkins and Damascus. The logical place is Troutdale, but given the short time I have I'd rather not spend half a day getting into town and back. I will have a car, so I could cache a food bag somewhere if the trees are sufficiently thick near some road crossing. Can anyone recommend one place over another?

Lilred
05-20-2007, 09:53
There is only a small cafe in Troutdale, nothing else. It does have some stuff for resupply though, you should be alright to use it. They do have some awesome cheeseburgers.

Deerleg
05-20-2007, 23:34
I’m guessing your going in at VA 622. If you want to stick to the trail you can cache at either VA 603 about 25 miles into your hike, or VA 600 (Elk Garden) about 40 in…I think that’s where I cached in 2000…I think it’s a dirt road and I walked in a couple hundred yards and hid supplies off the trail a few yards next to some landmarks I knew I would recognize. Don’t be afraid to cache it on the ground…I have always sealed everything in zip lock gallon freezer bags, and than put the cash inside a trash compactor bag…I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve done this and to date my cache has always been undisturbed.

What a great section of trail with all the balds and good views. I did it in July and the night I stayed close to Thomas Knob shelter around 5500 feet…I was very cold with my summer gear. I went back with my son (he was 13 at the time) the following year in April (it was unseasonably warm…go figure) and did a 2 nighter in the Mt Rogers area…just an out and back off VA600…He’s 20 now and we still talk about the pony encounters…we slept under a tarp on a nice night on the balds and has those silly pony’s literally nuzzling at us during the night. :eek:

Nightwalker
05-21-2007, 01:33
There is only a small cafe in Troutdale, nothing else. It does have some stuff for resupply though, you should be alright to use it. They do have some awesome cheeseburgers.

I thought the re-supply in that store was quite good. Most of the standard hiker fare was represented. And they're friendly. Yup, and the burgers. :)

BTW, the 32 bag will be fine.