PDA

View Full Version : alc or fuel stove?

lrrp
05-20-2007, 04:47
what is be easy to get on the trail alc or fuel for the stove?

The General
05-20-2007, 04:53
Both are easy to get, Just depends what you want to carry. personaly I would go for alchohol it worked well for me in 2004.

hopefulhiker
05-20-2007, 09:46
I agree alcohol seems to be gaining popularity.. Also you can use HEET which is available at service stations..

Appalachian Tater
05-20-2007, 16:49
Alcohol may be a little easier to get. Any hardware store or paint store has it as well as most hostels and even some drugstores, grocery stores, and Family Dollar stores have HEET or the equivalent. The outfitter in Hanover, who doesn't really carry hiking gear, had alcohol. It's even in a lot of hiker boxes. Canisters are mostly available at outifitters.

Turtle2
05-20-2007, 18:36
Just to clarify, use the yellow bottled HEET. By the way, I never found it on my thru last year. Found the red, not yellow.

Appalachian Tater
05-20-2007, 18:44
Just to clarify, use the yellow bottled HEET. By the way, I never found it on my thru last year. Found the red, not yellow.

Some Wal-Marts had it, a couple of Family Dollar stores had a similar product, and some grocery stores and of course gas stations had it.

It will NOT say "contains petroleum products" or similar, like the red bottles did.