PDA

View Full Version : AT videos on DVD?

Bjorkin
09-24-2003, 14:23
Anybody know of AT DVD's? There are only a few VHS movies as it is and I haven't found a single one of them transferred to DVD.

The Hog
07-05-2004, 09:48
The award-winning film North To Katahdin on the Appalachian Trail is available in DVD through the Appalachian Trail Conference or on eBay. You can also get it direct from the producer, whose website is www.wildernessfilmandvideo.com email: [email protected]

Thru-Hiker_Man
07-05-2004, 17:43
I have collection of AT videos, and so far, the only two I can find on DVD are "TREK" and "North to Katahdin." Both are excellent films, but as far as price per purchase goes, "TREK" is more bang for the buck. I found "North" to be a bit short (just over 20 minutes) though the 16mm looks good.

TREK is much more story-oriented, and longer: almost 2 hours. Though shot on DV, it still looks good, especially the DVD version. You get to follow the same charactters through-out their entire hike, plus meet other hikers along the way.

But if you want two different takes on AT films, get both! They complement each other well.

TREK is available on Amazon.com. I posted the direct link a few threads down from this one.

Or check the producers' website: www.cirquevideo.com (http://www.cirquevideo.com)

The Hog
07-05-2004, 20:49
As I have said elsewhere, there is room for all kinds of films about the A.T., just as there's room for many books about the Trail. The more, the merrier, and I sincerely wish the new entries well. The amateur films (lacking a message, with shaky video, poor composition, and too much zooming in and out, enough to give you motion sickness) will come and go and the good ones will endure (and win awards at film festivals). Viewers will decide which is which, and the trail community will benefit from the competition. For the record, I was the first to undertake a documentary on the Appalachian Trail (Lynne Whelden started filming Five Million Steps at a later date, but finished earlier - we have helped each other out, and I am in his film).
Some history - A former television cameraman and documentary film producer, I carried a heavy 16mm camera the length of the Trail in the course of producing North To Katahdin. It would have been much easier to carry a Super 8 camera, but I chose the heavier (and better) camera. If you think hiking the Trail is hard, try carrying 15 lbs of camera equipment in addition to your regular gear (in contrast, today's filmmakers need only carry a one pound camera). The National Park Service was impressed enough to donate much of the film I shot while thru hiking the Trail. Afterwards, I had to come up with $24,000 of my own money to put the film together. That took eight years. The sound track alone took two years (nine sound tracks mixed together) of painstaking work to complete. The result is a film that has generated rave reviews (I have a large file full of comments) and won an award at a film festival. Film Festival Director John Columbus called North To Katahdin, "a cinematic tour de force - a shimmering portrait of the journey." I have no apologies to make and no regrets about what I produced.
Just to set the record straight - it was stated that North To Katahdin is just over 20 minutes long - that statement is inaccurate. It is 28 minutes in length, just as stated in the ads for the film.

SavageLlama
07-19-2004, 20:04
Besides North to Katahdin and Trek, which are both very good DVDs..
there is also 2000 Miles to Maine.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/2000-miles.html

attroll
07-20-2004, 00:14
Besides North to Katahdin and Trek, which are both very good DVDs..
there is also 2000 Miles to Maine.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/2000-miles.htmlIf you are going to buy the movie 2000 Miles to Maine then you can purchase it from clicking on the link on the frontpage here on WhiteBlaze. When ordering it this way you are ordering it straight from the source (the producer). Every purchase that is made this way and you mention WhiteBlaze some of the proceeds go to WhiteBlaze to help support our server cost.