PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pads

eeyore
05-20-2007, 07:15
I am looking at a new sleeping pad and need, once again, a suggestion or 2!

Sleeping pads: we both have the old Thermarest Guidelite series. He has the full length and I have the 3/4. We need to get a mat for our daughter (6yrs old) and I thought I would let her use the guidelite and I would get a new one. So...

I was looking at the Big Agnes insulated air core mummy petite at 1lb 2 oz. Is it any good? Any others to consider?

I am sorry that I keep having to come back with more and more requests for help but it hard choosing these items when I don't really have a chance to play with them first hand.

We did buy packs over the weekend and we both picked the Osprey Aether 60 and 70 respectively. I have also emailed Tarptent regarding shipping of the rainshadow 2 and to see if they would be able to get us one here in time for the July school holidays here in Australia. So, the advice I have been given is actually being used! Thank you all.

fiddlehead
05-20-2007, 09:00
I don't know your plans or comfort level. I know I would never sacrifice 1 lb of weight for a mattress. Mine's about 3 oz. (it's about 2 1/2 feet long piece of foam that folds up in back of my pack and doubles as the backpack padding) It's all about you and what you need for a good nights sleep.
For me, walking all day gets me plenty tired and i could sleep on bare concrete if i had to.

Slosteppin
05-20-2007, 09:08
I used the original Thermorest for several years. I've also used several different foam pads. All were fine, at the time.

The ground had gotten much harder in the last few years. I bought a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core last winter. I have been out with it 6 nights so far, with night temperatures as low as 28 F and up to 40 F. The extra thickness lets me sleep well, the insulation has let me sleep warm.
I'm happy with mine, even with the extra weight.

Slosteppin

hopefulhiker
05-20-2007, 09:44
I carried the BA insulated air core for the whole trail. but i needed it because i am old and bony.. Look into Pacific outdoor insulmat as well.. I really did like the insulated air mattress though It helps keep you warm and you can go with a lighter sleeping bag..

GitRdone
05-20-2007, 09:45
I was looking at the Big Agnes insulated air core mummy petite at 1lb 2 oz. Is it any good? Any others to consider?

I recently went with a group backpacking and one of the ladies with us had the Big Agnes insulated Air core mattress... she loved it and was showing it to everyone. I also spoke with a lady this last week who works at an outfitter store who also owns one herself and she really likes it (she's a side sleeper and needed more thickness than a foam pad or light Thermarest gives). Regards weight -- I am an ultra lighter however, I also believe you can be comfortable while sleeping...(some folks are quite comfortable with a torso length foam pad) but, the Big Agnes is a very good addition to your sleeping system and from people I have met and articles read it comes highly recommended. I don't think you would be dissapointed nor unhappy with the weight. The packed size also will be smaller than your current Thermarest. Happens I just ordered the Big Agnes myself from REI-- the regular size at 1lb 8oz. It replaces an older ultra light Thermarest of the same weight. So for me, same weight, more comfort (1 inch of thickness to 2 1/2 inches), and takes up less room in my pack.

My big 3 are Glen Peski's Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack at 1lb 4oz, Henry Shire's Tarptent Contrail at 1lb 8oz, and my Western Mountaineering Mega light down bag at 1lb 11oz. And as part of my sleeping system currently the ultra light Thermarest soon to be the Big Agnes at 1lb 8oz.

Remember, think of your sleeping bag, clothing, and your sleeping pad as a sleeping system. A good night's sleep is sometimes worth a little extra weight. :sun As a local outfitter and backpacker told me recently, you can always cut down weight somewhere else by scrutinizing everything that goes into your pack including the pack itself.

Hope this helps --

Bud

cannonball
05-20-2007, 11:59
You made an excellent decision on your packs. I have an Osprey Aiethier and LOVE it. Now continue to be wise and go with the BA air core. Sure there are those that will tell you that it is way to heavy but trust me if it were 10 lbs. it would be worth it.
BTW< if you have'nt figured it out I also have the BA air core.;)

Quoddy
05-20-2007, 12:15
I own a BA Insulated Air Core mummy, but have relegated it for use only in the winter. It's a great pad, but I won't carry 23oz when I sleep OK on a 3.5oz GG NightLight Torso. A 1.25 pound difference is just too much extra weight to carry when I, too, can sleep on a rock slab after a long day of hiking.

eeyore
05-21-2007, 05:46
I have read everyone's responses and I appreciate the time that you all took to reply. I think I am going to go ahead with my purchase. I do not sleep well at the best of times and I think the extra comfort on the trail will help for sure.

This will bring the weight of my pack, tent, sleeping bag and mat to: a bit over 9 lbs. I don't think that is too bad.

pack: Osprey Aether- 3.15lbs

sleeping bag: FairyDown Cobra 3.3lbs very warm bag w/ dryloft on the outside (Wouldn't be need on the AT in the summer but is very nice to have for the winters here in Australia.)

tent: Tarptent Rainshadow 2 split with my husband 1.75lbs (when adding in silnylon tarp for extra vestibule space, pole, ground sheet etc.)

pad: Big Agnes 1.13lbs

I can always get a small and lighter sleeping bag when the time comes for the AT. For now I will stay with the fairydown since most of our walking will be in the winters in Aus.

Thanks again everyone!

DrewNC2005
05-21-2007, 09:24
I have both the BA pad and the Insulmat. I prefer the Insulmat Max Thermo.

Jaybird
05-21-2007, 09:42
I am looking at a new sleeping pad and need, once again, a suggestion or 2!..Sleeping pads: we both have the old Thermarest Guidelite series. He has the full length and I have the 3/4. We need to get a mat for our daughter (6yrs old) and I thought I would let her use the guidelite and I would get a new one. So...................................

Kids dont mind sleeping on the ground...any pad is a PLUS to a :D kid!

Good Luck with yer hike!:D

saimyoji
05-21-2007, 11:45
I have both the BA pad and the Insulmat. I prefer the Insulmat Max Thermo.

Yep, me too.

Kerosene
05-21-2007, 16:18
You might also consider the TorsoLite (http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com/?do=showproduct&id=83) from Bozeman Mountain Works. As a torso-length pad it only covers you from shoulders to hips, but at only 10 oz. I find that it works quite well with my legs atop my pack (the pack wrapped in a plastic garbage bag) and my head on my "pillow".

gsingjane
05-21-2007, 18:39
Here is another approach, if funds are tight, consider buying the cheapest foam pad for your daughter from Wally's, cut it down, and just keep your old pads for you and your husband. I, too, have noticed that children, being so light, almost don't need pads at all. My 8 year old (who, granted, is a bit on the small side at 45#) basically has a pad for psychological reasons only, the padding of the sleeping bag is basically enough if you're that small. The point is that you could get away with not buying a new paid for a couple of years yet, during which time the technology will advance even more... just a thought!

Jane in CT

Blissful
05-21-2007, 19:08
Love my Big Agnes insulated air core except still have some leaking issues with the valve if I don't tighten it real tight and blow it up all the way. I have used it so far on my hike and it's been pretty good.