PDA

View Full Version : vacuum packing and bag cooking

aaroniguana
05-20-2007, 11:20
Anyone combine the two? Dehydrate, vacuum pack and cook in the bag? I have a dehydrator, a vacuum packer and have made several cozies, just wondering if it's worth all of the extra work. I already know that putting Liptons in a vacuum bag saves space and weight and leaves less trash to carry.

Ideas?

Grinder
05-20-2007, 13:13
I am just back from a hike, The main meals were prepared just as you suggested. Seemed to work well.

Observations:

You should use the official bagging material that came with the vacuum machine. Pulling a vacuum in a regular freezer bag was kind of random, sometimes the bag would self seal and block the vacuum off, leaving air in the food part of the bag.

Pay attention to portion size. I was thinking "hungry" as I prepared the meals. Most of my meals were a bit too large.

Some practice is needed to judge how much water is needed. One of my meals was runny, one a bit runny and one perfect.

I don't like eating out of the bag. I find it awkward. So I prepared mine in a "French Press" Coffee pot. That worked well for me.

Hope this Helps

tom

sarbar
05-20-2007, 20:12
Sure! I use my Food Vac when I am doing meals way in advance to keep them fresh. When I go to use the bags (ie..add hot water) I just cut open the bag, and I carry a tiny clip to seal the bag while in a cozy. Works well! Heavy duty as well, and helps save pack space.