PDA

View Full Version : Water Sources - Amicalola to Springer - Approach Trail

AbeHikes
05-21-2007, 10:11
Any recent info on water sources on the Approach Trail given Georgia's rain deficit? Taking out a few newbies (newer than me) in a couple of weeks and want to make sure no one falls out. Another adult and 3 boys. Just an overnighter to Springer and back.

Egads
05-21-2007, 12:16
Carry 2-3 liters each & resupply at Springer

AbeHikes
05-21-2007, 19:58
Much appreciated, but I was looking for recent experience with existing water sources. I know how much water to drink, but I don't know how the sources are looking right now. Anyone?

Cuffs
05-21-2007, 20:04
Like Egads said... carry... theres none to zero... only "known" source is at the shelter (cant recall name) but to get to it is a long steep walk down hill... and thats if theres water there.

AbeHikes
05-21-2007, 20:10
Ah. Thanks. Thought he was giving general info. Much appreciated, you two.

TIDE-HSV
05-21-2007, 20:21
And this is May!

John Klein
05-21-2007, 20:31
Like Egads said... carry... theres none to zero... only "known" source is at the shelter (cant recall name) but to get to it is a long steep walk down hill... and thats if theres water there.
I think they'll let you refill your water bottles at the Len Foote Hike Inn, 1 mile off the trail at about 6 miles in on the approach trail.

Skidsteer
05-21-2007, 20:44
I think they'll let you refill your water bottles at the Len Foote Hike Inn, 1 mile off the trail at about 6 miles in on the approach trail.

You'll cross a creek +/- 1.5 miles into the hike. There's an 'iffy' spring @ 6 miles in to the left of the trail(marked the last time i was through there).

There's also a water source at Black Gap shelter at MM 7.3.

But it's a 4-5 hour hike or less for most folks, so you surely can carry all your water and save the side trips if need be.

DavidNH
05-21-2007, 22:47
HI,

Just fill up all your water bottles (or what ever you use for container) at the state park. A couple quarts should be ample to get you to Springer where you can get more water near the Shelter.

DavidNH

Happy
05-21-2007, 22:59
You'll cross a creek +/- 1.5 miles into the hike. There's an 'iffy' spring @ 6 miles in to the left of the trail(marked the last time i was through there).

There's also a water source at Black Gap shelter at MM 7.3.

But it's a 4-5 hour hike or less for most folks, so you surely can carry all your water and save the side trips if need be.

Very accurate info!!! Two quarts should get you to reliable source at Springer, anyway!

Dances with Mice
05-22-2007, 00:45
If you start your hike at the Visitor's Center, start with empty water bottles. Really.

At the top of the Falls there's a restroom right beside the trail with a water fountain. And, rather obviously, there's also the Falls...

Right before you leave the developed portion of the Park you'll cross a stream on a footbridge.

AbeHikes
05-22-2007, 13:41
Much appreciated, everyone. Very helpful.

max patch
05-22-2007, 14:04
2 1/2 weeks ago the water source at Black Gap Shelter was running. Slow flow.

iesman69
05-23-2007, 09:42
I know AbeHikes only asked about the Approach Trail, but what about the rest of the trail in GA? I'm starting 5/26 -- same low water/slow flow conditions NOBO to NC?