PDA

View Full Version : 3 Months Thru?

asherman
05-21-2007, 13:17
My partner and I are going to try a thru hike in three months. As we prepare it seems to become more and more impossible. I was wondering if anyone has ever done a three month thru hike, and, if they have if they have any suggestions/advice/warnings.

Gaiter
05-21-2007, 13:28
In my own and completely honest opinion thats a dumb idea. the first one to finish is the loser
If you only have three months just do half the trail or so, enjoy your time, don't waste it by doing the trail that fast, as the trail days logo says: people are the trail, and i can tell you that you don't want to skip over the people part.

txulrich
05-21-2007, 13:53
You would have to average 25 miles per day. If you take a zero, time off to resupply, etc, you gotta make that up. Realistically, you're talking about 12-15 hours of hiking. In addition, you gotta cook and eat, retrieve and purify water, set and takedown camp and everything else that goes along with daily life on the trail. Perhaps, if you had a 2 or 3 man support team that would do all the extras for you and all you had to do was hike, but IMHO 3 months is still a bit unrealistic.

Phreak
05-21-2007, 14:10
the first one to finish is the loser
I completely disagree. Hike your own hike. If someone likes to hike fast, so be it. There is no wrong way to hike the trail.

Mags
05-21-2007, 14:10
At 2175 miles and doing it in 93 days, that is an average of just over 23 MPD.

Tough, but doable. *IF* you really want to do it.

Other thoughts on this subject:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24040&highlight=running

Many thru-hikers can do (and enjoy) this pace. Only you can tell if you want to this kind of hike. FWIW, most thru-hikers who do this pace are also experienced thru-hikers.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

Lilred
05-21-2007, 14:19
I heard of a hiker that finished the trail in 3 months. He ran the whole trail and had support waiting at cross roads. I think all he had on his back was a camelback. He ran past me in '05. Sure it can be done, but I agree with ThickRedHair, it would be gruelling, and you'd miss so much.

Mags
05-21-2007, 14:28
I heard of a hiker that finished the trail in 3 months. He ran the whole trail and had support waiting at cross roads. I think all he had on his back was a camelback. He ran past me in '05. Sure it can be done, but I agree with ThickRedHair, it would be gruelling, and you'd miss so much.

Why does it have to be grueling? I am a backpacker, hike, with no support crew and had profound experiences with a similar pace on the CT and CDT. . Granted, the western trails are less social..but not everyone neccessarily wants to do the AT for the social scene. I am no different from other thru-hikers who also enjoy that pace. Get up early, walk all day, repeat. If you are not into camping and more into hiking all day, it can be an enjoyable experience. Walking by the light of the morning sun and into twilight is a profound way to experience nature. "As I walk, as I walk, the universe is walking with me".

I don't understand this mentality of "if I hike all day and don't hang in camp I'm missing something". HYOH really means HYOH, and support others whose idea of a hike may be different than yours. (As long as it does not impact upon your hike).

Just my .05

DavidNH
05-21-2007, 14:58
I want to very strongly second ThickRed Hair's post. Trying to hike the AT in 3 months is not a good idea. I personally think it is a very bad idea. Yes it can probably be done, I am sure someday someone will. But you would be hiking 12 hours plus a day almost non stop, no rest, no zeros--ok very few zero days. You will probably come to hate the experience, I sure would, even if I could survive such a death march. It would be just a battle..no fun.

Pick a section or two. actually enjoy it and experience the wilderness you travel through.

Here would be my suggestion: Get a bus or plain to NYC then a bus to Delaware Water Gap. From here pick up the AT and do NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, and ME. Wonderful scenery and very doable in three months.

OK I am a bit biased. If you live South of the big apple, I would hike from SNP southward and get VA, The balds of TN, and the smokies.

My point is.. pick off a reasonable piece of the trail. maybe 800-1000 miles. If you can do 1500 miles in three months or even 1800 so much the better. but dont make it so you HAVE to hike x miles!

Keep in mind that the Whites of NH and the Mountains of Maine, especially the mahoosics, are very rugged and hard to hike through. They are also incredibly beautiful. 10-15 miles per day in the whites is already a full day. In the Mahoosics 10-15 miles a day will tax you. Conversly, in NJ and much of PA, you may get 15 miles done by lunch time.

Don't kill yourself. Enjoy a great adventure. You will be travelling through some of the finest scenery of the east. What a shame to race through it. As several hikers told me...it is NOT a race!!!

DavidNH (Snickers)

sixhusbands
05-21-2007, 15:01
I have no dought that you could maintain the 25 mile a day average in the southern states( you sound like you could get it up to 30), but when you get into New hampshire.. the fun really starts. Most of the AT through the White Mountains will be spent climbing or descending about 25 peaks of 4000 or 5000 feet.
After that when you get into Maine is the Mahoosick Notch. Fun stuff!

If this is your dream.. go all out and do it! Better to have tried and failed than to never try at all!

BigwaveDave
05-21-2007, 15:25
Why? Stop and smell the roses brother.

asherman
05-21-2007, 15:56
The biggest worry we have about taking our time on the trail and moving slower is we might get bored of day in day out hiking. I understand that this can go both ways but we just want to not quit. We are very determined and section hiking is just not an option for us on this trip.
I am not too worried about the NH/ME part of the trip because we are from the mountains of wyoming and hopefully can handle those mountains over there. What I am worried about is trying so hard to keep the pace that we do actually forget why we are doing the trip in the first place.

Gaiter
05-21-2007, 16:06
nah, the most boring section is va, and its not that boring (va blues have a major effect on that)
i would get bored with hiking that fast and not looking around, you'll only notice the ground when going that fast
but hyoh

Peaks
05-21-2007, 17:47
How long did it take Flying Brian? As I recall, he was averaging more than 25 MPD. If that's so, then it's doable, but as others have posted: Why?

Lilred
05-21-2007, 18:07
It's doable for someone experienced in long distance hiking. How experienced are you guys? Have you done any L.D. hiking before? If so, give it a shot. If not, you may be in for a surprise when you get out there. I'm with the others though, just get out there and hike. Three months is a great time on the trail, finishing or not.

Blissful
05-21-2007, 18:54
Even the young ones I've seen have developed knee and ankle problems from doing too much. One guy ran up the Approach trail, passing us then was off the AT two weeks later with ITB problems. Sure you HYOH but it's wisdom too to give some counsel and ideas. Then go from there. But the GA and NC mtns are nothing to sneeze at.

Bankrobber
05-21-2007, 19:55
People routinely average 23 miles a day on the CDT and the PCT. The wide weather window and ample social oppurtunities make taking one's time more common on the AT.

I think this is definitely possible. My advice would be train hard leading up to it. Be ready to carry a full pack for 30 miles day in and day out. Being in Wyoming, training at altitude will make the relatively lower AT miles fly by.

I would also recommend going northbound, as the footpath is easier to negotiate in GA than in Maine.

DavidNH
05-21-2007, 22:45
The biggest worry we have about taking our time on the trail and moving slower is we might get bored of day in day out hiking. I understand that this can go both ways but we just want to not quit. We are very determined and section hiking is just not an option for us on this trip.
I am not too worried about the NH/ME part of the trip because we are from the mountains of wyoming and hopefully can handle those mountains over there. What I am worried about is trying so hard to keep the pace that we do actually forget why we are doing the trip in the first place.

Hey,

I have hiked out west also. The mountains there may be higher but not easier. I would say that northern New England (ie NH ME) hiking is far tougher than out west. Switch backs? never heard of em. Sunny skies and dry trail? nice if you can get it. Smooth footing? go south..aint nothin smooth up here.

Why ARE you doing the trip in the first place? If you can get bored hiking through areas as beautiful as the whites, the Mahoosics, the Bigelows, the 100 mile wilderness..then something is defintitely wrong.

One thing I have noticed about many of the AT thru hikers, the younger ones particularly...they get so obessed in getting from here to there and how far and how fast..the they forget to enjoy and absorb Where they are!

Well I have said my peace. If you still want to take this on go for it. But I think it just flies in the face of what backpacking is all about at least in my eyes.

Oh and lastly... the climate even in summer is far more of a challenge than Wyoming. Be prepared for anything from 80's to 30's. Hypothermia is a concern in ANY MONTH in NH and ME mountains. You may try to go ultra light carry 10 lbs and make time..but one sprained angle and then where are ya...help can be a long way off.

DavidNH snickers

Blue Jay
05-22-2007, 07:43
My partner and I are going to try a thru hike in three months. As we prepare it seems to become more and more impossible. I was wondering if anyone has ever done a three month thru hike, and, if they have if they have any suggestions/advice/warnings.

This is like having all night to make love to a beautiful woman who loves you and doing it in 5 minutes and then leaving. It's not only not impossible, missing out on the best things in life is becoming the norm.

Lilred
05-22-2007, 08:14
This is like having all night to make love to a beautiful woman who loves you and doing it in 5 minutes and then leaving. It's not only not impossible, missing out on the best things in life is becoming the norm.

<<thread hyjack>>

IT's the days of instant gratification folks. People want things and they want it now. The faster the better. Microwave in 5 minutes, brew coffee in one. Anything you want any time of day, go to Walmart. Don't have the money, use plastic. Communication is instant.

At least some things will always require strength, determination, and time.

Now back to your regularly sceduled thread.....

fiddlehead
05-22-2007, 09:38
Funny how people tell you not to cause you won't see anything.
I ran the JMT a few years ago and saw THE most beautiful sunset and alpen glow of my life because i was up and out on a ridge at that time of day. Passed a few tents just before with those thru-hikers who are probably telling you you won't see anything. They were in writing their journals and missing probably the best sunset of their lives.
Do what you like to do. Sure it can be done. it'll be tough but you'll see things they won't and maybe they'll see things you won't . (mostly in towns) Have fun.

rafe
05-22-2007, 09:46
Short spurts of fast walking can certainly yield rewards... I remember practically running up Stratton Mtn. in order to catch the sunset, and it was well worth the effort. OTOH, I'm not sure it's the best long-term policy... at least not for me. Different strokes, tho. I'm amazed and impressed (and mildly depressed) at folks who can walk 20+ miles per day, day after day.

sixhusbands
05-22-2007, 10:12
The actual trail record was acheived by Pete Palmer in 1999. He averaged 3 miles an hour for a 14 hour day. His time is 48 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes...by my calculations that is just shy of 2 months! I sure hope you guys do it! My hat goes off to you for making the attempt.

Time To Fly 97
05-22-2007, 12:18

Thoughts from someone who loves to hike fast, but took 6 months to thru-hike:

I think that if you have less than 6 months to hike the AT, it is better to try to see as much of it as possible in the time that you have. The Northern sections are worth pushing to see.

Hiking out west is more graded (did 1000 miles on the PCT). Give your body a chance to get used to steeper climbs without pushing too hard for the first couple weeks. Climing steep hills uses different muscle groups. Listen to your body.

Throughout the hike, I saw more people hurt themselves by going too fast downhill when they were tired. You can always push up hill and still be controlled because it is low impact.

As you get further into New England, the trail becomes very steep and actually dangerous at times if you aren't paying attention. You will be well prepared for this by the time you get there.... However, making huge miles through here will be challenging to say the least. Make up for this by doing big miles through Northern VA through NY, where the trail is much flatter and you won't have winter gear weight. Even in PA with the rocks, you can get a rhythm going and bang out big miles.

Research and take advantage of big mile opportunities: Vanderventer shelter to Damascus is 33 miles and ever so slightly downhill - you never would think hiking 33 miles would be a pleasure - but it is there. Try to plan your logistics (resupply points) around these big days.

Maximize daylight: Leave early - stealth camp when you can't go any further. Town stops are a big part of the hiking experience. Nothing like a steak and beer with the local women after a week of hiking. You will have to have discipline to get back on the trail as quickly as possible.

Go as light as possible with your gear without sacrificing clothes that can keep you warm in a 40 degree rainstorm.

Your biggest challenge may be your partner. Make sure you communicate ahead of your hike about what happens when someone gets hurt or doesn't hike as fast as you. Take time to hike alone every once in awhile. I had some friends on the PCT that were doing 30-35 miles per day and had a great time together...and others who didn't hike at the same pace that wanted to give the other a leki-ing : )

It takes 21 days to create new habits. Train ahead of time so you minimize this on the trail.

Always be hydrating - a lot of times you will feel fatigued and this is actually your body just needing more water.

Every day hiking is a gift. Even though you will be pushing for miles, don't take the time for granted. Very few people get an opportunity to thru-hike the AT.

Just a few thoughts. Hope you have a blast.

Happy hiking!

TTF

sthall
06-07-2007, 10:30
I think you should do whatever is going to make you happy. Three months will be a push - no doubt - but perhaps part of the intrigue of the AT for you is the challenge of time in itself. Will you miss out on some of the social aspects? Certainly. But is that why you are going to make the hike?

I am planning a thru-hike for '08, and have four months to do it, finish or not. I have always enjoyed backpacking and hiking, and am allured to the AT not for the social aspect, but for the challenge itself. The AT means different things to different people, and only you know what it means to you. Do what makes you happy, and so long as you have no regrets you'll be fine.

McQueen
06-07-2007, 12:12
The biggest worry we have about taking our time on the trail and moving slower is we might get bored of day in day out hiking.

Some people like to hike at a faster pace(myself included). It's not that I am rushing or in a hurry. It's just how I like to hike. But I am also not hiking fast because I am worried about getting "bored". Like someone else said, if you get bored hiking through beautiful sections in the mountains then there is definitely something wrong. Going faster isn't going to change anything, 3 months is still a pretty long time and I would classify that as "day in day out hiking".

Going back to the 3 months thing, yes it can be done. Go to www.andrewskurka.com (http://www.andrewskurka.com) then click on "more hikes" and then "appalachian trail 2002". This was his first backpacking trip and he hiked the trail in 94 days. He also only took 4 zeros and did many days over 30 miles.

Ultimately it's up to you how fast you want to go.

Mags
06-07-2007, 13:08
Some people like to hike at a faster pace(myself included). It's not that I am rushing or in a hurry.

Also, some people don't hike so much fast as long. I love to walk all day. Rather than hang in camp, I love to walk by the light of the morning. Seeing the soft morning light shine through the fog enshrouded mountains.

Then there is walking at dusk. The wind slightly picks up. The mountains are bathed in a soft glow. You will often see deer, elk or other animals about.

I am missing something because I walk 20 (or more) miles a day?

I have often noticed that some (not all) people who berate a so-called fast pace also are the ones who are in camp by 5pm. Nothing wrong with that. But don't say some of us are rushing through the trail merely because we are out longer and go more miles per day because of it.

Jack Tarlin
06-07-2007, 16:20
Can it be done?

Sure.

Should it be done?

Beats me, but I don't know you well enough to say.

I've met lots of folks who hiked the Trail in 100 days or less, and I'm not entirely sure any of them really enjoyed it.

Anything less than four and a half (i.e 135 days or so) is considered a quick hike. You're talking 90-95 days.

Can you do it? Maybe. Will you enjoy it? Doubtful. You'll be thinking about your pace and schedule ALL THE TIME.

I've met thousands of A.T. thru-hikers and I can't recall ANY who looked back at their trip and said, "Gee, I wished I'd hiked faster and had finished quicker!!"

But I sure met a lot who said just the opposite.

My advice is to try and get some more time off from school/work or whatever, and don't rope yourself into a schedule or timeframe that you'll ultimately come to regret.

But that's just me.

map man
06-07-2007, 21:26
The suggestion to look at Andrew Skurka's account of his fast AT hike is a good one. Also, if you go to trailjournals.com and look up the journal of "Wag Daddy" for 2005 you can read a fairly detailed account of his 88 day AT thru-hike. Maybe reading through those accounts for tips on how they did it could provide some limited clues to help you figure out if it seems realistic, or likely to be enjoyable, for the two of you.

By the way, in researching my article, "AT Hiking Rates, Section by Section," Wag Daddy is the only hiker of the 143 in the study who finished in three months or less. I know others do it each year, but it clearly takes a fairly unusual, dedicated athlete to accomplish this.

Badger
06-07-2007, 22:36
Go for it. What's your downside? If you don't enjoy it, you get off the trail or go slower. Simple.

Know your limits, make sure you don't get hurt and try to knock it out! There's nothing wrong with having aggressive goals.

I tend to agree that it will be more challenging with a partner. Impossible? Certainly not. Good luck

mweinstone
06-07-2007, 23:47
shelters suck

Jester2000
06-08-2007, 01:11
I completely disagree. Hike your own hike. If someone likes to hike fast, so be it. There is no wrong way to hike the trail.

Sounds to me like he doesn't know what helikes yet, or what his own hike is. And there are many wrong ways to hike the trail. For example, walking it on your hands while balancing an ax on the bottom of your left foot.

What I am worried about is trying so hard to keep the pace that we do actually forget why we are doing the trip in the first place.

As mentioned by someone else, why are you doing the trip in the first place? It might help others on this site advise you if they knew.

People routinely average 23 miles a day on the CDT and the PCT. The wide weather window and ample social oppurtunities make taking one's time more common on the AT.

And, you know, the lack of trail graded for horses.

This is like having all night to make love to a beautiful woman who loves you and doing it in 5 minutes and then leaving.

I'll thank you to not give away my lovemaking techniques.

The actual trail record was acheived by Pete Palmer in 1999. He averaged 3 miles an hour for a 14 hour day. His time is 48 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes...by my calculations that is just shy of 2 months! I sure hope you guys do it! My hat goes off to you for making the attempt.

It might not be particularly important to note this, but the ATC doesn't recognize, compile, or keep records for speed. But that didn't stop me from hiking the entire trail in four days, over a long weekend in June of 2002. I hiked 23 hours a day at a little over than 23 miles an hour. It was exhilarating. I saw many things that other hikers never saw and felt things no other hiker felt. I passed straight through a pony in Grayson Highlands. I smelled pain. I heard colors. I removed one of my own kidneys to get lighter. I bounced it forward to Hanover and put it back in. I base jumped off the Knife Edge and landed on the roof of the strip club in Millinocket.

It was quite a hike.

JAK
08-29-2007, 16:11
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this last post was way too funny.

Johnny Thunder
08-29-2007, 16:16
It might not be particularly important to note this, but the ATC doesn't recognize, compile, or keep records for speed. But that didn't stop me from hiking the entire trail in four days, over a long weekend in June of 2002. I hiked 23 hours a day at a little over than 23 miles an hour. It was exhilarating. I saw many things that other hikers never saw and felt things no other hiker felt. I passed straight through a pony in Grayson Highlands. I smelled pain. I heard colors. I removed one of my own kidneys to get lighter. I bounced it forward to Hanover and put it back in. I base jumped off the Knife Edge and landed on the roof of the strip club in Millinocket.

It was quite a hike.

Funny, I thought you'd be taller.

Johnny

JAK
08-29-2007, 17:15
It was a truly Bunyanesque read.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-30-2007, 08:44

It was quite a hike.

Who do you think you are, Bear Grylls?

neo
08-30-2007, 11:48

go lite as possible,start hiking early and finish late every day
your average has to be 24.16 miles a day every day,and never take any zero days:) good luck:cool: neo

i personelly would prefer doing it in 4 to 5 months :cool: neo

Blue Jay
08-30-2007, 14:35
I base jumped off the Knife Edge and landed on the roof of the strip club in Millinocket.

There's a strip club in Millinocket and I missed it, damn.

Mags
08-30-2007, 14:37

It is in the middle of no where and well outside town limits. Probably about the size of a large living room!

I passed it a few times and never stopped.

One of the many regrets of my life. ;)

Lone Wolf
08-30-2007, 14:38

It's actually in Medway

Time To Fly 97
08-30-2007, 14:55
Right on. Go for it. You'll know whether you want to bust out or do a large section once you get a feel for the terrain. Do what makes you happy. I think you may find 30 mile days on the AT to be more difficult than the graded trails in the West, but see for yourself. You can't lose!!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Jester2000
08-31-2007, 19:56
For those wishing for maximum speed on the trail, you're going to want to adapt to my new weight philosophy, FSI, or From the Skin In.

You're going to want to make sure you've had molars, tonsils, and appendix definitely gone.

If you can afford it, have a kidney removed. Those who don't drink can have their liver shaved, and if you've never had a problem resisting infections, you should seriously consider losing your spleen (it's not like you know exactly where it is now anyway. Am I right?).

If you've got Baltimore Jack-Jet Boil Mogul-type money, replacing many of your bones with titanium should be something at which you look seriously. Just not the femurs -- I know it's tempting 'cause they're so big and heavy and can break at just the wrong moment (just ask Burt Reynolds), but they make white blood cells, so you've got to keep them.

Good luck!

Colter
09-18-2007, 18:55
I don't think anyone needs to justify hiking as fast or as slow as they like. They should please themselves first.

That said, very few people (way below 10%) have the ability to hike that fast, and fewer still would enjoy doing it. Personally, even if I could do it that fast I know it wouldn't be as fun as a slower hike.

Jim Adams
09-18-2007, 23:37
Don't know if this will be current advice because you may be finished already but...

I just came back from the PCT...the AT is much much more difficult terrain to hike.
Why not just hike! Go easy for a week to let bones and muscles adjust and then try your speed. If you complete the thru great but if not...what have you lost? Three months of work?

geek

jlayton
09-21-2007, 18:41
I find it interesting that people who I have great respect for (thru hikers) tell people to section hike, when they look down on section hikers so much. As I read the journals here it seems like everyone who section hikes is talked about poorly. I dont get it. Either respect each other or get a life. Anyone who section hikes this trail has done something worthwhile and should not be looked down upon.

Lone Wolf
09-21-2007, 19:55
I find it interesting that people who I have great respect for (thru hikers) tell people to section hike, when they look down on section hikers so much. As I read the journals here it seems like everyone who section hikes is talked about poorly. I dont get it. Either respect each other or get a life. Anyone who section hikes this trail has done something worthwhile and should not be looked down upon.

i've done 5ish thru-hikes. i enjoy being around and dealing with section hikers MUCH more.

Jim Adams
09-21-2007, 20:24

I truely believe that section hiking is harder physically. :cool:
The mental aspect may be rough on a thru, but on sections, just about the time you are in shape and can cruise...it's time to go home!

geek

Jester2000
09-21-2007, 20:29

It is interesting that so many would suggest sectioning. Is it possible that you've misread the attitude towards section hikers? Of course, there are those who feel that way, but there are people who have all sorts of stupid opinions that don't represent the way most thru-hikers feel.

And I wonder, why would you bring this up and suggest respecting one another or getting a life when everyone contributing to this thread seem to have the opposite attitude to the one you've described?

By the way, Welcome to whiteblaze. Hope you have fun and find what you need here. There's a lot of good brains packed with a lot of good info. Yours might be one of them.

rafe
09-21-2007, 22:23
i've done 5ish thru-hikes. i enjoy being around and dealing with section hikers MUCH more.

Well, that's not surprising. Benton MacKaye didn't really envision or anticipate thru-hiking; it wasn't part of his vision for the A.T.

A section hiker operates on a different time scale compared to a thru-hiker. A thru-hiker is on a mission, a quest... on a very grand scale. A section hiker may have no long-term commitment to the trail. The section hiker is much closer to the sort of "client" that Benton had in mind.

A thru-hiker needs to be focused and single-minded for five months without interruption. A section hiker can pick and choose his/her sections (and the timing of those sections) according to the desired level of comfort or challenge. A section hiker can choose to maximize fun, relaxation, and enjoyment of the experience.

When the sections get long (eg. 500+ miles) -- and when they're constrained by hard schedules -- the distinction fades.