PDA

View Full Version : those with trail runners - please comment

Blissful
05-21-2007, 19:06
I used my trail runners for the first time yesterday on a 17 mile hike. I like them but my foot kept slipping to the front of the shoe on steep downhills, putting pressure on my big toes. I had to get a size larger (size 11 while I usually wear a 10) because my toes were hitting the end even without going downhill. Also I felt every rock in them where I didn't feel that with my boots. I worry about foot problems developing, like plantar fascitis. I do wear Spenco hiker insoles in them (can't wear Superfeet). I also wore liners under my socks. I'm wondering if I'm going to be okay with these or not.

Hikerhead
05-21-2007, 19:20
I think a lot depends on how stiff the shoe is. I bought a cheap pair of Columbia's that have now been retired to yard work after maybe wearing them twice on dayhikes. I bought a pair of Vasque, the model name is not on the shoe and I can't remember the name, Velosities I think, but they're a lot stiffer. I wear a 10 normally but had to go up to a 12 to give my toes some room. I bought a pair of Superfeet at Traildays and yesterday I tried them out at Mt Rogers on a 12 mile hike. I did the AT north from the campground and then got to the Kabel trail, did Three Peaks Trail to Scales and back down on the horse trail. Most of this was on horse trail that had seen a lot of horse traffic so the trail was torn to crap most of the way with a lot of loose rock. The shoes and Superfeet worked out wonderfully. I thought this was a great test for the BMT next week.

Slosteppin
05-21-2007, 19:31
I hiked in leather boots for a long time. About 9 years ago I switched to trail runners for nearly all my hiking. I have learned to buy my hiking shoes about 1/2 size larger than the sales people think I should.

If the stiffness (lack of) is a problem you might want to try low cut trail hikers. Some look just like trail runners. Often the only difference is an extra layer in the sole to make it stiffer.

Slosteppin

Marta
05-21-2007, 19:38
A lot of running shoes have laces that you can adjust from tight to loose on different parts of the foot. For example, you can make it somewhat tight up near the ankle to hold your foot back towards the heel of the shoe, but leave it loose over the ball of your foot to allow it to spread during the day.

Different running shoes are more or less protective of the soles of your feet. The Brooks Cascadia, for example, had a layer that was supposed to prevent rock bruising. It worked for me. I think the Salomons I just got also have a flexible plate.

One trick passed along to me by the outfitter in the town near DWG is to use two pairs of insoles in the shoes. I did that in PA--one set of blue Superfeet and the insoles that came with the shoes. It worked great.

You really shouldn't need liners inside socks with running shoes. One pair of thinnish socks should be enough. Some of the socks I've tried at various times are so slippery that I slip around inside my shoes. I don't like that, having to work harder with every step.

For preventing plantar fasciitis, some foot self-massage and stretching every day, using your hand to flex the toes and heel might help. Giving myself a foot massage at the end of the day makes a huge difference in how my feet feel the next day, whether hiking or touristing around museums and city streets.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Phreak
05-21-2007, 20:50
Please tell us the specific trail runners you wore on your hike.

I used my trail runners for the first time yesterday on a 17 mile hike. I like them but my foot kept slipping to the front of the shoe on steep downhills, putting pressure on my big toes. I had to get a size larger (size 11 while I usually wear a 10) because my toes were hitting the end even without going downhill. Also I felt every rock in them where I didn't feel that with my boots. I worry about foot problems developing, like plantar fascitis. I do wear Spenco hiker insoles in them (can't wear Superfeet). I also wore liners under my socks. I'm wondering if I'm going to be okay with these or not.

Phreak
05-21-2007, 20:51
I'd also recommend getting custom inserts and ditch the over-the-counter inserts. Your feet will thank you.

Blissful
05-21-2007, 21:54
Please tell us the specific trail runners you wore on your hike.

They are Brooks Adrenaline ASR. They were recommended because I pronate and that it would help lessen the strain on my calf.
http://brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=BSI42197

Blissful
05-21-2007, 21:55
I'd also recommend getting custom inserts and ditch the over-the-counter inserts. Your feet will thank you.

Been there, done that. I got such bad hip pain with the custom insoles a few years back, I couldn't wear them.

Happy
05-21-2007, 23:14
Been there, done that. I got such bad hip pain with the custom insoles a few years back, I couldn't wear them.

He is correct in his statement but go to a foot doctor if you can't tolerate normal custom stuff...I did!

One to 2 sizes above your normal size is appropriate for downhills, plus your feet are growing with the walking!

Michele
05-21-2007, 23:17
Hey Blissful, I'm actually off for a week dealing with Plantar Faciitis, and I wear trail runners. A trick I learned to check for how stiff the soles are (from the outfitter near Erwin, where I bought my 2nd pair of shoes) is to hold each end of the shoe in your hands, and twist them like you're ringing a towel out. The stiffness will be OBVIOUS, because really flimsy shoes will twist pretty easily, and you'll tend to feel every rock and edge through the shoe when you hike.

As for your feet sliding forward, try getting some longer laces, and tying them around the back of the heel of the shoe.

As for preventing Plantar Faciites (which I just got a steroid shot in my foot TODAY!) stretching before you ever step on your feet in the morning, stretching tons throughout the day, and being mindful with how hard you set your foot down (which for me means a slower pace to I can more slowly place my foot instead of pounding it all day long). Try to place your heel down first (even on moderately sloped down hills) and avoid climbing rocks on your tippy toes (which stretches your tendons and the planta faciia).

Anyway, good luck! I use Spenco inserts as well (was using superfeet, but felt like I needed a bit more cushion). I changed from Salomon trail runners to a stiffer Garmont shoe in Erwin. I notice a HUGE difference on rocks, like what you talk about. Oh, I also went up 1/2 size in shoes as well.

Footslogger
05-22-2007, 09:07

===============================

The larger size you needed is normal. Too bad you can't wear SuperFeet or something that really supports the arch and holds the heel in place. Unfortunately thicker socks or doubling up on socks rarely works because under the pressures of the trail they compress and bunch up inside the shoe.

Based on your comments, about the only thing that comes to mind is trying an alternate lacing method. Check out this link:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Hope that helps ...

'Slogger

c.coyle
05-22-2007, 12:35
I used my trail runners for the first time yesterday ... my foot kept slipping to the front of the shoe on steep downhills, putting pressure on my big toes. I had to get a size larger (size 11 while I usually wear a 10) because my toes were hitting the end even without going downhill ...

Are you sure they weren't too big? A little snugger shoe might prevent this. Lace them up firmly, push your foot as far forward as you can on a level surface. If the space between the back of your heel and the shoe is bigger than your index finger, you might want to go smaller.

fiddlehead
05-22-2007, 22:37
You are doing it right. I always buy 13's for hiking, yet i take 11's. I have room in the shoe. Keep your toenails cut and you'll be fine. You'll have no blisters. I never wear two pair of socks. I wear fleece when it's cold and thin nylon when it's warm. have fun.

gumball
05-22-2007, 22:49
I think it is a matter of 1) what your feet like and can tolerate 2) how much weight you carry 3) getting the right runner for your feet.

I wear regular Adidas trail runners which fit my narrow foot very well. I wear one size bigger, both for running and backpacking and I don't pack over 30lbs. These work well for me, better than boots, provided I stretch and take care to stop and rest my feet every couple of hours. They are very comfortable, and the lesser weight I carry on my feet has paid off with being able to hike a little stronger and a little longer.

But they aren't suitable for some folks. We have a friend who wore them on a longer section for the first time with us last year. It was the first time he's ever hiked without blisters--but he was uncomfortable with the fact that his feet got wet (even tho blisters never formed). He was convinced that something bad would happen to his feet if he kept wearing them, so he went back to boots--and that's okay. Its what made him feel better.

I think you have to decide for yourself and make sure you are wearing a brand of trail runners that fits your feet best...otherwise, just like a crummy fitting boot, you will experience problems.

Have fun! gum

Phreak
05-23-2007, 22:28

I asked a couple of my friends (a chiropractor and a podiatrist) about your experience with inserts and they both agree that if you were experiencing hip pain from your inserts, then you either had the wrong ones or they were not properly fitted. I'd give 'em another try.

swift
05-24-2007, 15:52
I've mentioned these before on Whiteblaze... Sole Custom Footbeds are the caddilacs of footbeds short of going to a foot doctor.... Google them.

Mother's Finest
05-24-2007, 16:07
given what you have described blissfull, the only thing I think I am missing is your type of sock.

if you wear a thin sock, like a level one or level two thorlo, try and switch to a thicker one, like a level 3 (this refers to the protection level provided by the sock). The shoes you mention are great. Brooks is a quality maker.

as you said, you will feel all the rocks. especially at the sides of your feet.

only you will be able to decide what works best for you.

have fun

peace
mf

minnesotasmith
05-24-2007, 23:09
And I started out with a body weight of over 250#. (Everyone here knows about my pack weight.) ;)

I used Dunhams, owned by New Balance. This one of the few brands that has an adequate range of widths (up to 4E at least).

I do suggest high-quality inserts, gaiters, anti-tick permethrin spray for the gaiters once the snow is gone (TY to DarwinAgain for the idea), Sealskins, and thin liner socks to go with them, to be sure.

Tipi Walter
05-26-2007, 09:10
The two biggest problems with trail runners come with backpacking in snow and sole traction and lug design. I've used everything from Converse tennis shoes to Birkenstocks to cowboy boots to several brands of "trail runners" all the way to Sorel packboots, minus 40 degree Chippewas, army jungle boots, mid-weight full leather Limmers, Nike Ascents and Approach boots to my current Asolo goretex FSN 95s.

The AT crowd is a specialized bunch who can get away with carrying next to nothing while moving along a groomed open trail. But for those backpackers who go out for 2 or 3 weeks without resupply and encounter muddy trails, moderately deep snow and rough rocky trails while humping 60-80 pounds, the light weight trail runners are just that: A light weight running shoe.

I've heard stories of stress fractures and leg pain due to runners, and I've seen near constant poor traction as these shoes slide in the mud on wet trails under significant weight. They are excellent though when crossing creeks, otherwise I'd go for the extra protection(and longevity)of a stouter boot.