PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sleeping Bags

Passionphish
05-21-2007, 23:39
I started out taking most everyones advice and purchased The Northface Cat's Meow(http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AJ6L&language=en).

I just did an overnighter in it. I hated it. Repeat hated it. The only way I could sleep was with it draped over me open. I slept directly on the bed roll.

I'm six foot and weigh 230 lbs. The main problem is my 52" shoulders. I can't comfortably fit in a regualar bag and the longs are, well, a little long! I'm not claustrophobic but I am a side sleeper who turns. I prefer the bag to stay down and I don't often need the "head" part of the bag. I sleep very warm.

I have the Mountain Hardware flip 25/40 on the way. (the Cat's Meow exchanged). I'm gonna try it but I'm skeptical. Very...

Any advice and suggestions would be great! I'm on a budget but I'm not cheap and out side the box is good for me if it works! I have to sleep well!!! Any help would be much appreciated!

Passionphish
05-21-2007, 23:42
Edit: I forgot that I want to keep my base load under twenty pounds. With the Cat's Meow I had a base weight if 19.5 lbs. I would like to do better than this.
Also, I'm told that I should tell you that I tend to sleep in my clothes most of the time and will be taking a bag liner. I use a close foam bed roll. But could go to a self inflate if the weight equals out. I'm open to any ideas.

Skidsteer
05-21-2007, 23:51
Sounds like you are a good candidate for a Montbell (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/u.l.-super-stretch-down-hugger-%232/)bag.

I've been thinking about getting one myself. I feel your pain.

Nightwalker
05-22-2007, 00:24
I roll around like a dervish in a blender. I just got used to the bag rolling with me. No big deal after awhile.

Nightwalker
05-22-2007, 00:31
My bag is lighter and less expensive. Mountainsmith 30 degree (I've used it down to 0F) long, 1 lb. 8 oz., 175.00. Of course, it was 275 list, but I'm a buy-it-on-sale kind of guy.

BTW, I'm 5' 10", 230 lbs. My shoulders are quite large. :)

spittinpigeon
05-22-2007, 01:22
I despise TNF cat's meow too. I'm glad you exchanged it. It's equivalent to the Rolling Stones in things most over-rated.

rusty075
05-22-2007, 02:53
I'm 6'-ish, and (was) 235lb-ish...and I LOVE my Montbell bag. I can sit indian style in it or stick my elbows out perpendicular from my sides, all without unzipping.

Ratings-wise, the closest to the Cat's Meow is probably the #2 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=28&p_id=1121726), although I think Montbell is pretty conservative in their ratings. (I'm comfortable in my 35 degree rated #4 on nights when it gets down into the teens).

But....the #2 does cost almost double the price of the Cat's Meow....but it also weighs almost a full pount less. A 25 degree bag for under 2lbs is pretty impressive.

Passionphish
05-22-2007, 14:21
I saw the Montbell bags. But thought they would create a very "tight" feel. I'll actually try one on. The cost is a little prohibitive... But if I pinch and save....
Thanks for the advice! Any more would be appreciated!

Chache
05-22-2007, 16:07
Big Agnes bags are very wide and all the downs on the top. You put your pad in a sleeve on the bottom. It has its pros and cons. If you use the hood and try to side sleep it is not going to turn with you. You don't fall off the pad

DawnTreader
05-22-2007, 16:10
Sounds like you converted your bag to a quilt.. Why not phone Jacks R Better?? They can get you a great big quilt and a pad converter. Many options to choose from... The pad converter turns your quilt into a sleeping bag.... save weight, no size issues... Brilliant!
www.jacksrbetter.com

Alligator
05-22-2007, 16:31
If you roll around a lot you may find the bag liner very annoying.

I have sleeping bags that use sleeping pad locks around the pad to keep the bag in place. These do a decent job at keeping the bag flat.

Chache
05-22-2007, 16:35
If you roll around a lot you may find the bag liner very annoying.

I have sleeping bags that use sleeping pad locks around the pad to keep the bag in place. These do a decent job at keeping the bag flat.
I was trying to find a link to pad locks. do you have one. i would like to see this

Alligator
05-22-2007, 16:52
I was trying to find a link to pad locks. do you have one. i would like to see thisI looked and couldn't find a good picture, but here (http://store.mpgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767) they are. It's a Sierra Designs feature, I think they are just giving them away along with their bags now. My Kelty bag has them too though.

There are four loops, a pair at about the hips, either side, and the shoulders. The cord forms an X. The pad slips in between the cord and the sleeping bag.

Alligator
05-22-2007, 16:54
I was trying to find a link to pad locks. do you have one. i would like to see thisI looked and couldn't find a good picture, but here (http://store.mpgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=767) they are. It's a Sierra Designs feature, I think they are just giving them away along with their bags now. My Kelty bag has them too though.

There are four small loops on the sleeping, a pair at about the hips, either side, and the shoulders. The cord slips through the loops and forms an X. The pad slips in between the cord and the sleeping bag.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-22-2007, 17:03
Another vote for looking at Big Agnes if you want to stay with a bag and at JacksRBetter's down to earth system if you want to consider a quilt. I'm a fluffy female dino who turns many times in the night and a quilt works much better than a bag for me.

Passionphish
05-22-2007, 18:08
I like the quilt idea a little more than the montbell bags. I just have one question. You just sleep on your bedroll? And what's with the quilt price and weight!?! $260 for a 2+ lbs bag? Did I read that right?
Okay, so a few questions....

adamkrz
05-22-2007, 18:50
I use a seirra designs paul bunyun bag,It's large enough for most big guy's and sometimes you can find a deal on ebay- found my bag for $50- used just one time..

Passionphish
05-22-2007, 19:55
The Flip 25/40 is what I exchanged it for. I haven't tried it yet. Has anyone here? If I don't like it I'm gonna give it to my kid.

cutman11
05-22-2007, 23:36
I have wide shoulders and roll around a lot in my bag. I dont like the tight fit feeling either. I sucked it up and got a western mountaineering megalite, look on their website. Its rated 30 deg. but I sleep warm and have been comfy down to 20 no problems. 64" shoulder girth, but still less than 2lb weight.

Cuffs
05-23-2007, 15:44
Sounds like you are a good candidate for a Montbell (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montbell/u.l.-super-stretch-down-hugger-%232/)bag.

I've been thinking about getting one myself. I feel your pain.

Recently switched from the TNF Cats Meow to the Montbell, UL Hugger 15*. LOVE IT!!! I cant sit still while sleeping, and the stretch in this bag is wonderful!

I had the same problem with the narrow-ness of the TNF bag...

Montbell, kinda pricey, but if you search, you can find some deals now and again... (check campsaver.com)

Passionphish
05-23-2007, 16:23
Campsaver.com, Got it. Thanks!

Truthfully, I have no idea what I'm gonna go with. My next hike is the end of June. I have no sleeping bag what so ever and only a couple of pay checks till the hike.
And now I'm neck deep in the many down/synthetic quilt options and prices out there. I wish more retailers sold quilts so I could try one on. I'm going up to Wa... Walas.... Walassi... Yi? Or something like that in a couple of weeks to try on a montbell. I have my doubts but I'm an open minded guy!

Thanks for all your help guys!