PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Protocol

gumball
05-22-2007, 22:42
I am not sure if this is exactly the right place, but I'm posting here because we experienced something on Saturday evening, at the Ed Garvey Shelter, that was a little frustrating...so if its in the wrong place, I'm sorry--it could certainly be any shelter on the AT I'm asking this about.

My husband and I were planning on doing a 3.5 day leisurely trip from Snicker's Gap into Penn Mar, to sew up a little section we'd hadn't done yet. We originally planned to start Friday, but the weather was crummy--so we holed up in the Battletown Inn (nice place, Berryvale VA) for a night, and started on Saturday. Beautiful day, but to make up some time, we hiked a little further than originally planned, doing about 25 or 26 miles into the Ed Garvey. Not bad terrain, beautiful day, no complaints--but we were tired and looking forward to crashing after a quick bite. Unfortunately, when we arrived, the shelter was FULL, and I mean FULL.

The boys scouts were there, which wasn't actually a big deal, except that they had spread out tents everywhere and I think we had gotten the very last site you could squeeze into...but we were hoping to just crash in the shelter. Now, this is a pretty big shelter, but there were a ton of people there, most of whom had apparently hiked a couple of miles in from a nearby parking lot to spend the night, and were then hiking out back to their vehicles in the AM. I think there were probably 3 or 4 thru-hikers that we could discern out of the whole lot (two of them relegated to hammocks), and when asked if there was room at all in the shelter, we were told it was full.

I know it doesn't do any good to complain or write letters--but for my own sanity here--is this really supposed to happen? I know, shelters are first come, first serve...and we did have tents...but is this a frequent occurence for folks? We have only been sectioning for probably the past 5 or 6 years, I don't think we've ever had someone tell us there wasn't any more room in a shelter.

As a contrast, we spent the next evening in Ensign Cowall, completely alone! It was very peaceful.

Thanks for listening, in retrospect not a big deal I guess...just needed to vent. I guess everyone has the same right to the shelters.

gum

ShakeyLeggs
05-22-2007, 22:49
Your right shelters are first come first served. Were the scouts taking up the shelter? The only time I have ever found a shelter totally full was down close to springer during prime thru hiker season. Totally full shelters are not the norm but it does happen as you observed. Just do like you did and be prepared to either tent or hammock or move on to the next shelter. As the saying goes the shelter is never full until everyone is in.

fiddlehead
05-22-2007, 22:50
You had a tent, i don't see the problem? Shelters are like that: many people congregate there and how can you complaing about it? just carry a tent. If it's the only water around, cook and eat, and move on.
It depends on the mentality and morals of the folks who are inside i guess. I've seen shelters in hurricanes that were totally full (8 people in a shelter that normally is full with 5) and 2 more people came walking up, drenched, out of the downpour and said: "any room in there" obviously there wasn't, but a few of us said: "always room for one or 2 more" and scrunched around to make them a (small) spot.
But if the weather is decent, and the boy scouts have filled the shelter, move on. It's a big trail.

saimyoji
05-22-2007, 22:56
...just needed to vent. I guess everyone has the same right to the shelters.

gum

Yep. For the reasons you mentioned, shelters suck. Burn 'em all.

Skyline
05-22-2007, 23:03
Not much good can be said about the Boy Scout leaders that night who encouraged their kids to monopolize the shelter. IMHO they should have all been in tents--not for the benefit of non-Scout hikers necessarily, but to better teach the kids how to camp in the woods.

Nightwalker
05-23-2007, 00:21
Could be worse. I arrived at a shelter sick and tired one evening, right before sundown. I asked if there was room and was told that there was. Basically, a dog had to move out of his own spot onto his owner's HUGE double bag. Later on, the swooft little bee-atch who told me that there was room came on here whining about how I came barging in and caused folks to have to get out of my way so that I could lay down. A huge dog got voluntarily moved out of the way and that was it. No one even acted like there was a problem at the time, and I had a badly abscessed tooth that was going to end up out in about two days.

If you'd have seen this guy, you'd know why he waited till I wasn't around to moan about it. What a sissy!

Anyone who'll smile to your face and then make fun of you to your back just needs to stay home and leave the woods to the hikers.

ShakeyLeggs
05-23-2007, 00:49
My best shelter experience was a very long time ago but I will never forget it even though I can't for the life of me remember what shelter it was. After a very long hard hot day of hiking I rolled into the shelter just before dark. It was crowded. As I walked up to the shelter I asked if there was room and before anyone said anything one of the guys there threw me an orange and replied sure is. Man was that one of the most sweet tasting and best oranges I have ever eaten.

Jack Tarlin
05-23-2007, 15:18
Shelters (and accompanying campsites) will always be communal-use sites, and there is always the chance that there may be large numbers of people at these locations, including large groups who tend to take over and dominate the sites.

The fact that some of the folks in this story only hiked a few miles to the shelter is irrelevant.....shelters are first-come, first served, regardless of what someone's daily mileage might be.

For those concerned with the possibility of encountering full, crowded, or loud shelters/campsites, there's a very simple remedy:

Don't stay at them.

Crowded and boisterous shelters are indeed a pain in the ass. But nobody is compelled to overnight at these places. It's hard to find complaints about shelters and established campsites if you make an effort NOT to stay at them.....and this isn't hard to do.

Blissful
05-23-2007, 17:28
Not much good can be said about the Boy Scout leaders that night who encouraged their kids to monopolize the shelter. IMHO they should have all been in tents--not for the benefit of non-Scout hikers necessarily, but to better teach the kids how to camp in the woods.

I thought gumball said the Boy Scouts were camping in tents. (?)

Anyway, this is getting to be summer. People will be everywhere. To be expected. SHelters are so noisy. Only good for pouring rain, IMO. Tent, tent, tent. The weather is good right now anyway.

Blissful
05-23-2007, 17:37
But in addition to that, it is tough in MD to tent with dispersed camping prohibited (and we wanted to stay by the C&O but they closed the camp site). Need to plan it a bit more. But the AT is short there, so easy in and out. I just know this area is very popular with its proximity to D.C.

jesse
05-23-2007, 19:50
I did not read anything in your post that would make me sympathetic towards your situation. There is no room at a first-come-first- served shelter, and you can't stay there. Did you expect someone to give up their place? I would not expect them to. As far as the Boy Scouts, they to have as much right to be there as anyone else. Should they have packed up and left when the Gumballs showed up. I just don't see any reason for your bitchin, and I am not going to give you a shoulder to cry on.

saimyoji
05-23-2007, 20:21
I did not read anything in your post that would make me sympathetic towards your situation. There is no room at a first-come-first- served shelter, and you can't stay there. Did you expect someone to give up their place? I would not expect them to. As far as the Boy Scouts, they to have as much right to be there as anyone else. Should they have packed up and left when the Gumballs showed up. I just don't see any reason for your bitchin, and I am not going to give you a shoulder to cry on.

Read her last paragraph again. :rolleyes:

Toolshed
05-23-2007, 20:27
....I know it doesn't do any good to complain or write letters--but for my own sanity here--is this really supposed to happen? I know, shelters are first come, first serve...and we did have tents...but is this a frequent occurence for folks? We have only been sectioning for probably the past 5 or 6 years, I don't think we've ever had someone tell us there wasn't any more room in a shelter.

As a contrast, we spent the next evening in Ensign Cowall, completely alone! It was very peaceful.

Thanks for listening, in retrospect not a big deal I guess...just needed to vent. I guess everyone has the same right to the shelters.

gum

Hmmmm..... Section hikers complaining about other section hikers taking up the shelters. Aha.. You's are only out for 1 night - We are out for 2, therefore we should complain....?

Sounds like you had a crowded night and a quiet night. Probably the best and the worst the trail has to offer - You broke even. Make sure in your letter of complaint you praise them for that second night. :cool:

jesse
05-23-2007, 20:34
Read her last paragraph again
I did, and am still don't get it. If she had written the last paragraph first, there would be no reason to write the rest of the post.

gold bond
05-23-2007, 20:50
Did the "peeper's" complain?

Tin Man
05-24-2007, 00:02
This past Sunday, bro and I hiked over Moosilauke from Jeffer's Brook Shelter to Beaver Brook Shelter. The day started out with a light rain and got progressively worse. When we reached Beaver Brook Shelter, the tent pads were mostly snowy/icy/wet nightmares with heavy runoff streaming beneath the snow/ice. Under less extreme conditions we tent. Once we were set up in the shelter and hung our stuff to dry(?), a prep school group of 15 arrived. The leader proclaimed, "the first rule is not to invade. We will set up the tents." I don't know where she came up with that, but to make a long story short, the invasion proceeded as they discovered there was very little workable tent space. As they kept crowding more in, we decided that between the crowding and whining ("I'm cold. I'm wet. I wanna go home."), that we would be better off heading down the mountain and completing our section hike early. The leader was gracious and urged us to stay, but we offered her our best wishes and headed out. We did not feel particularly annoyed or saintly. It just was what it was and we moved on.

SunnyWalker
05-24-2007, 01:12
Well, who would want to stay at a shelter/camp site when a bunch of Boy Scouts are there? No complain about the BSA, but usually these are young kids and they are LOUD, boisterous, playful, etc., this is usual-they are having a good time. I would have just moved on. -SunnyWalker

Nightwalker
05-24-2007, 01:33
Well, who would want to stay at a shelter/camp site when a bunch of Boy Scouts are there? No complain about the BSA, but usually these are young kids and they are LOUD, boisterous, playful, etc., this is usual-they are having a good time. I would have just moved on. -SunnyWalker

The name of the shelter escapes me, but it's the lst one going North in the 100 Mile Wilderness. There was a group of scouts that got it right. There was a Scoutmaster, two assistants, a Troop Leader and an assistant. They didn't know the "10 to a group" rule, but they were so well behaved that it was just a joy to be amongst them. They all stayed in tents except for one kid with no tent and the Scoutmaster who kept him company. I think that the no-tent kid was a little "sickly"--slept a lot, pale, etc.

They cleaned up every bit of trash that had been put there by any and every hiker that had been through there. They cleaned out the fire pit, even though they hadn't used it. They were the most cheerful, industrious young men that I'd seen in quite awhile.

One of the coolest things was that the assistant Scoutmaster was an ER nurse with combat and SAR experience. She was seriously neat, and was teaching all of the kids for their First Aid badges as a group. I hung around until about three in the afternoon before I took off just because I enjoyed them so much.

fiddlehead
05-24-2007, 02:10
boy scouts are ok by me. the AT is a good place for kids to be.
so what if they're a little loud. They're kids. If you want the wilderness experience, go to the CDT.

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 00:11
Like I said, no complaints against the BSA. Sounds like you had a good time that day/night. But herein points up a weakness I see with some hikers on AT. You are tied to the Shelters. Pack your own shelter (tent, tarp, hammock, etc.) and be free. -SunnyWalker

rafe
05-25-2007, 08:22
Like I said, no complaints against the BSA. Sounds like you had a good time that day/night. But herein points up a weakness I see with some hikers on AT. You are tied to the Shelters. Pack your own shelter (tent, tarp, hammock, etc.) and be free. -SunnyWalker

To the extent that there is a "trail community," it exists at shelters and campsites on the trail.

I've had hikes where the woods were crowded and the shelters were full. That can be a drag, for sure.

But I've also had hikes where I'd go for a day, maybe two without seeing a soul on the trail, and spend night after night at empty shelters. That can get a bit lonely and weird after a while.

IMO, there's a happy medium somewhere in between those extremes. I carry a tent and am prepared to use it if the shelter's full, or if I simply don't care for the company. But sleeping night after night, alone in the woods... isn't my ideal hiking experience either.

I go to the trail to escape the rush, the competition, and the noise of "the real world." I don't necessarily go because I hate people. I rather enjoy their company, most times. Moderation in all things....

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 22:18
Dear Terrapin Too: I see. Thanks. While I feel I have done a lot of backpacking I have never hiked the AT. Not yet. So your experience is valuable to me. I was talking to a new friend of mine who works for the State Govn't like I do, who is stationed in El Paso. He had lived right near the AT and on a weekly basis was on the trail. He told me the other day that I probably won't be alone much of the time while on the At. Interesting. Thanks. -SunnyWalker

rafe
05-26-2007, 00:21
Dear Terrapin Too: I see. Thanks. While I feel I have done a lot of backpacking I have never hiked the AT. Not yet. So your experience is valuable to me. I was talking to a new friend of mine who works for the State Govn't like I do, who is stationed in El Paso. He had lived right near the AT and on a weekly basis was on the trail. He told me the other day that I probably won't be alone much of the time while on the At. Interesting. Thanks. -SunnyWalker

There are lots of factors affecting "crowdedness" on the trail. The time of year, the time of week, the weather, the particular part of the trail you're talking about, etc. Furthermore, "crowdedness" is most likely to be noted at shelters and campsites, not while walking -- except on fabulous, popular bits of trail like the Franconia or Presidential ridges, or in the Smokies, or maybe Shenandoah National Park.

SunnyWalker
05-26-2007, 13:38
this subject came up today as I was re-rading Walking the Appalachian Trail, by Larry Luxenberg. For the first time I am considering walking North to South. It seems that thee is not so many folk out going that direction. They suggested late May or June to beat the flies. -SunnyWalker
Ps. Have you done a North to South?

fiddlehead
05-27-2007, 00:18
It (SOBO) is the preferred method by most who have done it. Especially for the crowd problem.

Marta
05-27-2007, 07:07
It (SOBO) is the preferred method by most who have done it. Especially for the crowd problem.

Yeah, but we're weird. :D

SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lemni Skate
05-10-2009, 10:01
Most boy scout leaders aren't experts and are putting in time to make life a little better for some young ones so I never complain. I'm usually not in the mood to deal with a troop so I avoid camping within earshot of them, but I do know that sometimes circumstances intervene and you don't have any more energy or daylight and you've suddenly reached your camp and there are 25 boy scouts. That's when it's time to put on a smile and make the best of it.

I almost never sleep in shelters (no one needs to hear me snore), but I like to camp near them for the evening banter with others. This spring I was in Georgia and that is the first time I encountered crowded shelters. It was unbelievable. I ended up just camping by a creek each night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think sometimes people doing the whole thing (either thru or section) get to feeling like we're REAL hikers and the rest of these people ought to appreciate the wonderfulness of our goal and defer to us. The simple fact is that the vast majority of hikers (and even miles logged) on the trail each year are just from day hikers and and overnighters. We're the exceptions...not the rule. Shelters were built on the trail before anyone even thought a thru-hike was possible so I don't think we should assume they're for us.

All that being said, I think the original post is okay. Expressing how you feel when end up in something like this is okay (you feel what you feel) and asking others how often it will be like that (knowledge is a good thing) seems okay to me.

The original poster didn't argue that anyone should have moved for them or that anyone was doing anything wrong.

Rockhound
05-10-2009, 11:10
I would have eaten, filled my water and hiked another .2 or .5 and camped. Yes shelters are first come first serve. You answered your own question.

The Weasel
05-10-2009, 12:22
It's not clear that the Scouts did anything other than set up tents in places that are for setting up tents; obviously, they could not be expected (or their leaders) to say to themselves, "I bet the Gumballs will be coming here, so we'd better leave a few sites for them." No. That's nonsense.

Similarly, while there is a practice among hikers that "There's always room for one more in the shelter," that's for bad weather times. There's no right to boot people out of shelters and even if it was Scouts using it, they are entitled to learn the pleasures (how few there are!) of sleeping on hard boards with mice running over them.

And, in passing, I recall the many times I've come to shelters and found a group of Scouts cleaning out the fire pits, picking litter or otherwise making the site better than when they got there. One blessed day, when I just needed a place to sit and eat, I came to a shelter with a huge, beautiful table....built by Scouts.

Jack Tarlin is right: The Trail is first-come, first served, and open to everyone. If that's a problem for someone, well, don't go.

The Weasel

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 12:44
this thread is a year old....let it go...

saimyoji
05-10-2009, 12:45
this thread is a year old....let it go...

make that two years old...

The Weasel
05-10-2009, 23:19
Old is good. I'm old, and good. And I'm more than two years old. Physically, that is.

TW

Tennessee Viking
05-11-2009, 00:27
Typically, I plan to camp at any heavy traffic shelter. But I have gotten to shelters and school kids and scouts literally hogged up all the space. I know most hikers like to camp, but I don't want to hang around a shelter with 20 loud and annoying school kids all night.

I do love how some scout groups will split large groups up into a pack of 5 or so with a days difference between another group, or arrange both north/south hikes for each group. Then some scout groups won't hike a section when the thru-crowd is coming through.

rainmaker
05-11-2009, 22:28
Old is good. I'm old, and good. And I'm more than two years old. Physically, that is.

TW

It has been said that " age and treachery will best youth and strength everytime". Go Mark Martin.

Gambit McCrae
08-08-2013, 14:42
Didnt read all the posts but about the first ten and I have to say a few things... SPOT ON.

#1, bring a tent, and USE it. All a shelter is good for is mice, Mice = rattlesnakes...and bears..and dummies. Use a shelter as a nice lunch spot, and during absolute monsoons.

#2- Coming from an Eagle Scout, SHAME ON ON YOU BOY SCOUTS- Yours supposed to be learning, imo if your walking in 1-3 miles or so, you dont really deserve a shelter spot. And a BSA troop using a shelter pretty much trumps the whole full shleter thing. In other words, if your party is large enough to concume the whole shelter, be aware of that and if possible, bring tents.

#3- Learn to tent camp on the AT I have been for quite a while now, and it is a whole new experience...Shelters hurt my back..

#4- quit whining :bse

HooKooDooKu
08-08-2013, 17:10
this thread is a year old....let it go...make that two years old...
five years now

Another Kevin
08-08-2013, 18:58
It's come back from the grave again! Where's my garlic, crucifix, stake and maul?

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 19:10
It's come back from the grave again! Where's my garlic, crucifix, stake and maul?

This thread is so old that it actually predates the financial crisis.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 19:11
which one?

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 19:16
which one?

The one that killed my dream of thru hiking.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 19:19
The one that killed my dream of thru hiking.
you werent even born yet

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 19:25
you werent even born yet

Not sure what you're talking about, the way things are going i'll be older than you in a couple of years.

JustaTouron
08-08-2013, 19:28

Well then lets at least have some fun with this thread.....

This thread is so old that......George Bush was president.

This thread is so old that ...... it pre-dates the iphone.

max patch
08-08-2013, 19:31
This thread so old.........Obama who?

HooKooDooKu
08-08-2013, 19:55
This thread is so old.... Facebook had less than 100 Million subscribers.

Rasty
08-08-2013, 19:57

What's Facebook?

Drybones
08-08-2013, 20:03
Well then lets at least have some fun with this thread.....

This thread is so old that......George Bush was president.

This thread is so old that ...... it pre-dates the iphone.

Would someone scrape the mold off before using.

Xristos
08-08-2013, 20:04
This thread is so old.....I saw it on The History Channel.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:05
this thread was so old we didn't even think about the Mayan apocalypse

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:11

Yeah, and Hikerboy still isn't one of them... :mad: He's not old though! ;)

Lone Wolf
08-08-2013, 20:15
shelters are first come, first served. period. don't count on the dam things

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:16
This thread is so old your mama.................................

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:23
When this thread started:

The soprano's were in their final season.

Apple had just announced the iPhone.

We were all anxiously awaiting the final installment of the Harry Potter Books (admit it, you were).

SpiderMan3 was top at the box office, proving once again that we will collectively flock to see sequels even after the franchise has clearly run it's course.

I was sitting at my desk as my coworkers were wondering why the secondary CLO market was drying up.

Iran had recently released the 15 Royal Navy personnel that they had taken prisoner during March 2007

Brittany Spears had a shaved head and was *Ahem* working through some personal issues:

http://www.howmanyfrogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/if_britney_can_make_it_through_2007-4892.jpg

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:24
Yo mama so old, she walked out of a museum and the alarm went off.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:25
shelters are first come, first served. period. don't count on the dam things

This thread is so old that LW probably only had 15,000 or so posts when it started.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:28
this thread is so old trailplace was relevant

gumball
08-08-2013, 20:29
This thread is so old that LW probably only had 15,000 or so posts when it started.

Ha ha, same advice he gave me when I posted the thread. Great advice, too, dammit.

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:32
Ha ha, same advice he gave me when I posted the thread. Great advice, too, dammit.

Also seems fitting that it was resurrected on the anniversary of your join date.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:33

Ha Ha!! This is GREAT!! I was so excited when I saw you post gumball... :cool:

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:34
Also seems fitting that it was resurrected on the anniversary of your join date.

Well aren't you somethin to notice that too. You're on a roll today ATM!! :D

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:36
Well aren't you somethin to notice that too. You're on a roll today ATM!! :D

I see more than people think.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:38
you must have the eyes of an eagle considering how much thinking and overthinking has been going on around here lately

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:43
you must have the eyes of an eagle considering how much thinking and overthinking has been going on around here lately

Lots of non-thinking too, can't forget about that, it's a highly underrated art form.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:43
Lots of non-thinking too, can't forget about that, it's a highly underrated art form.

Oops...How was that for a 3,000th post?

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:44

Lots of non-thinking too, can't forget about that, it's a highly underrated art form. what do you think there's more of thinking or non thinking? I think we can only speculate

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:45

Oops...How was that for a 3,000th post? just when the poho glory days are coming to an end

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:46
Timing is everything

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:49
just when the poho glory days are coming to an end

I know, I feel cheated.

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:49

More like a headache.

Rasty
08-08-2013, 20:50

You put too much thought into that.

atmilkman
08-08-2013, 20:51
I know, I feel cheated.

I saw that. Was waiting for something really profound. We all feel cheated.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:55
I saw that. Was waiting for something really profound. We all feel cheated.

Yeah, I forgot about 'old 3000. Ive also been know to forget about my own birthday or how old I am, so I guess it's par for the course for me.

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:55
there was a day in nc this spring, dont remebr the shelter but it began to pour around 3pm or so,got to the shelter cold and wet around 5, saw there were already 5 other guys pretty entrenched. i hoped the rain would let up so i could just tent as the shelter was small for 6,but it continued to pour as i made dinner. decided to just settle in, and another hiker came up saw the full shelter told us he had 4 more behind him, we'll have to make room. we all looked at ech other, someone said they didnt think that was gonna happen, but we'd see.turned out we didnt have to make a decision. the rain stopped pretty abruptly as the other 4 made it to the shelter, i said its all yours boys, and got my tent set up, as a few others did the same.cool the way it just worked out. that would have been some tight fit

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 20:57
there was a day in nc this spring, dont remebr the shelter but it began to pour around 3pm or so,got to the shelter cold and wet around 5, saw there were already 5 other guys pretty entrenched. i hoped the rain would let up so i could just tent as the shelter was small for 6,but it continued to pour as i made dinner. decided to just settle in, and another hiker came up saw the full shelter told us he had 4 more behind him, we'll have to make room. we all looked at ech other, someone said they didnt think that was gonna happen, but we'd see.turned out we didnt have to make a decision. the rain stopped pretty abruptly as the other 4 made it to the shelter, i said its all yours boys, and got my tent set up, as a few others did the same.cool the way it just worked out. that would have been some tight fit

Can't you at least try to stay off topic?

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 20:58
You put too much thought into that.
im all thought out. havent even had a random thought today.
need to hike

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 20:58
Oops...How was that for a 3,000th post?

That's great Elf... 3K for you, 5K for me today. I put mine in the "celebration" of Matt thread. (the big one) My counter thingie looked messed up so I had to "hit it" with another post. :)

ATM reminded me that it was comin up.. 2 posts away!! :D

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 21:00
im all thought out. havent even had a random thought today.
need to hike

Yes, you do... you can think about a lot of random things when you hike....

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:00
I think the thinking has been thought about extensively, to the point that the thought of thinking of a thought makes me think of nothing. A good place I think. Unfortunately for some, instead of dwelling in the empty space of thoughtlessness new thoughtless thoughts seem to spring to the forefront once more which are again thought about. Many think that thoughtless thoughts are real thoughts and need to be freed before they think themselves back to thoughtlessness. While the thought of thoughtless thoughts remaining in the empty space of thoughtlessness is a comforting thought to me, the terror of thinking their thoughts will pass into oblivion makes many think that those thoughts must be shared, thinking that in sharing them their great thoughts and thinkings will be freed. Leaving any real thoughts to be trampled and leaving those equipped with thinking thinkers with concussions from the onslaught of non-thought. This state is known as being confussed. Lot of confussion today, glad I was at work.

And if we are discussing thoughts I thought things were quite disgusting today. Although perhaps Fiona Apple says it best, "I ran out of white dove feathers; to soak up the hot piss that comes from your mouth, every time you address me."

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:03
Thinking of posting that in the 60 day thread...

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2013, 21:05

First paragraph maybe, but leave the second out of the 60 day thread, it might be misinterpreted.

HikerMom58
08-08-2013, 21:06

Don't think about it JB... it made my head spin earlier today. I've over it now. :D

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 21:09
I think the thinking has been thought about extensively, to the point that the thought of thinking of a thought makes me think of nothing. A good place I think. Unfortunately for some, instead of dwelling in the empty space of thoughtlessness new thoughtless thoughts seem to spring to the forefront once more which are again thought about. Many think that thoughtless thoughts are real thoughts and need to be freed before they think themselves back to thoughtlessness. While the thought of thoughtless thoughts remaining in the empty space of thoughtlessness is a comforting thought to me, the terror of thinking their thoughts will pass into oblivion makes many think that those thoughts must be shared, thinking that in sharing them their great thoughts and thinkings will be freed. Leaving any real thoughts to be trampled and leaving those equipped with thinking thinkers with concussions from the onslaught of non-thought. This state is known as being confussed. Lot of confussion today, glad I was at work.

And if we are discussing thoughts I thought things were quite disgusting today. Although perhaps Fiona Apple says it best, "I ran out of white dove feathers; to soak up the hot piss that comes from your mouth, every time you address me."
i was thinking the same thing

hikerboy57
08-08-2013, 21:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnO9Jyz82Ps

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:11
First paragraph maybe, but leave the second out of the 60 day thread, it might be misinterpreted.

Misinterpretation, although it contains too many letters for most- seems to be the thought of the day. Besides, who doesn't like Fiona Apple?

Lone Wolf
08-08-2013, 21:12
who doesn't like Fiona Apple?

moi...........

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:18
moi...........

Madeleine Peyroux then? If we're speaking French?

Just Bill
08-08-2013, 21:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu0v81gYQVY

Ground Control
08-08-2013, 21:44
moi...........

that response (and the timing) was almost as funny as the "huh?" response... almost... :)

Another Kevin
08-08-2013, 21:44
Wow, a 3000er and a 5000er. I am only an egg...