PDA

View Full Version : Watches

jazilla
05-23-2007, 09:46
I am looking for a watch/compass/thermometer combo. And recommendations

hammock engineer
05-23-2007, 09:57
If you are not in a hurry, keep an eye on SAC. I got a watch, compass, thermometer, altemiter, barometer for around $70 a couple months ago.

SloHiker
05-23-2007, 10:16
I've been pleased with my Suunto (Advizor) ... accurate & reliable thus far ... a hiking bud has a Timex model that's died once and been replaced under warranty.

My decision to purchase a Suunto was largely based on a comprehensive article in some publication a year or two ago that clearly put Suunto at the top of the list ... compared to the various brands available at that time.

Footslogger
05-23-2007, 10:26
Some good ones out there and like others have said ...watch for the sales.

Only comment I will make is in regard to the thermometer feature on most of the models. The sensor is located pretty close to, and in some cases right up against, the skin so the reading is not accurate (high) when being worn.

Other than that they're great, once you get the hang of setting the reference elevation for the barometric altimeter. I've had one of the Suunto Vector for several years now and really like it.

'Slogger

hammock engineer
05-23-2007, 11:18
Some good ones out there and like others have said ...watch for the sales.

Only comment I will make is in regard to the thermometer feature on most of the models. The sensor is located pretty close to, and in some cases right up against, the skin so the reading is not accurate (high) when being worn.

Other than that they're great, once you get the hang of setting the reference elevation for the barometric altimeter. I've had one of the Suunto Vector for several years now and really like it.

'Slogger

Good point on the thermometer. I hike with it attached to my pack. At night it goes on the ridgeline of my hammock.

D'Artagnan
05-23-2007, 11:27
I've got two Suunto Vectors (don't ask :D) and I've been very happy with them.

OK, I'll confess -- If you choose to go after one on ebay, ask the seller if the watch functions in standard or metric. :D It may not be such a steal after all if you're not good with conversions.

SloHiker
05-23-2007, 12:35
I've got two Suunto Vectors (don't ask :D) and I've been very happy with them.

OK, I'll confess -- If you choose to go after one on ebay, ask the seller if the watch functions in standard or metric. :D It may not be such a steal after all if you're not good with conversions.

Interesting comment ..... mine has settings for both. Is that unique to certain models? Just curious ........

D'Artagnan
05-23-2007, 13:08
Interesting comment ..... mine has settings for both. Is that unique to certain models? Just curious ........

Now I'm curious! It was set to metric and I never took the time to read every page of the BOOK than accompanied it cleverly referred to as an "Instruction Manual". If you can tell me how to switch it, I'd be very, very grateful.

SloHiker
05-23-2007, 13:51
Now I'm curious! It was set to metric and I never took the time to read every page of the BOOK than accompanied it cleverly referred to as an "Instruction Manual". If you can tell me how to switch it, I'd be very, very grateful.

You mean the 100+ page - 13+ languages "Operating Manual" !! - yep, I know what you're talking about .... try this:

1.5 MEASUREMENTS AND UNITS
The Wristop Computer supplies two units of measure: metric or imperial.
Metric Unit of Measure Imperial Unit of Measure
m ft
m/min ft/min
°C °F
mbar inHg
1.5.1 Selecting the Units of Measurement
To change the unit of measure displayed:
1. Check the mode indicator. If the mode arrow is not on TIME, PRESS the [Mode] button until the arrow is
directly below TIME on the Mode Indicator Bar.
2. PRESS the [Mode] and [Select] buttons simultaneously and hold in for 3 seconds. Field 1 will display .SET.
momentarily and then display .UNI. (Fig. 43).
Note: If the user does not press any button for 1 minute in the setup mode, the display will automatically exit
setup.
WARNING: If the user presses the [Select] button (and does not hold for 2 seconds) while in the .UNI. setting
mode, the user will be in the Pressure Sensor Calibration. Refer to the next section for details.
3. PRESS the [Select] button and hold in for 2 seconds. Located to the right in Field 2, .m. or .ft. will begin to
flash.
4. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .m. and .ft..
5. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located below the .m. or
.ft. in Field 2, .mbar. or .inHg. will begin to flash.
6. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .mbar. and .inHg..
7. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located at the top right
in Field 1 (just above the bubble), °C or °F will begin to flash.
8. PRESS the [+] button to toggle between °C and °F.
9. At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Select] button to move to the next unit. Located at the top
center in Field 1, .m/min. or .ft/min. will begin to flash.
10 PRESS the [+] button to toggle between .m/min. and .ft/min..
11 At the unit of measure desired, PRESS the [Mode] button to accept the changes. PRESS the [Mode] button
again to return to the main time mode.
Selecting the units of measurement is complete.

SloHiker
05-23-2007, 13:54
Ya might wanna keep a copy of this handy for the next time you have to change batteries ..... you get to reset all the functions once again.
Hope this helps ......

D'Artagnan
05-23-2007, 15:14
Ya might wanna keep a copy of this handy for the next time you have to change batteries ..... you get to reset all the functions once again.
Hope this helps ......

SWEET! Thanks a million. Now I have two that I can actually use. One black and one yellow. :banana

Nightwalker
05-23-2007, 15:22
SWEET! Thanks a million. Now I have two that I can actually use. One black and one yellow. :banana

Or you could just give me one...

jazilla
05-23-2007, 15:27
Or you could just give me one...
The yellow one would match the tarp I just finished

buckowens
05-23-2007, 17:11
I have a Suunto Vector that I bought before I deployed. The bezel popped off while overseas and upon sending it back, it appeared to me that they sent me a new watch rather than repair the old. I especially like the new black face they have available.

saimyoji
05-23-2007, 20:40
HighGear TrailDrop.

fiddlehead
05-23-2007, 20:52
a Thermonmeter on a watch doesn't work very good as it is next to your arm which is usually warmer than the outdoor temps. (you have to take it off for about 30 minutes to find out the true temperature and then it is too easy to lose)
If you want a good digital compass, the Sunnto is good but does have to be reset every week or so to be entirely accurate. Of course you don't need too accurate of a compass on the AT. Maybe one of those little clip on compasses would be fine on any watch band.
But if you want an altimeter, thermometer, digital compass, barometer, (altimeters on watches work from barometers) complete with graph that can be programmed for different times (important for a barometer but keep in mind it won't do anything for you while you are walking as altitude effects barametric pressure of course) along with stop watch, alarms, altitude alarms, etc. the Sunnto is probably the best.
Anyway, the Sunnto (vector is the one i use but they are all good) is reliable and the battery usually lasts about 3 years on mine. The digital compass does eat batteries faster than the other features if you use it a lot. hope this helps. (it is a BIG ugly watch though)

jazilla
10-05-2007, 08:10
Has anyone tried the watches by casio. I am looking at a Casio Pathfinder PAW 12-3V. It looks cool and it never needs a battery change.

Pockets
10-05-2007, 08:52
I have a Highgear which I've had for about 7 months, it has already needed a new battery and is not very accurate. I just purchased a Casio PAW and I'm very impressed so far but have only had it for about 2 weeks

sonic
10-05-2007, 09:11
I have (had) a Highgear Trail Drop also. Very dissatisfied with it. The battery always needed replacement, not as accurate as I would like it to be. I did like the design however. Biner clip to put on your pack so it kept the thermometer away from the heat of your body. I'm looking for a similar biner design and haven't found one yet.

LIhikers
10-05-2007, 12:24
I used to think I wanted one of those watches that told you everything but on this past summer's section I couldn't keep track of the day or date. So now I've decided that all I really want is a watch that tells time, has an alarm, and tells the date and time. A lighted face would be nice but that's not a nesseccity.

rafe
10-05-2007, 12:35
I used to think I wanted one of those watches that told you everything ...

Yeah, same here. But then I figure, I've got to climb that hill in any case, so why keep checking a watch to know, "how much higher?" Just another distraction.

Blade
10-05-2007, 16:00
Has anyone tried the watches by casio. I am looking at a Casio Pathfinder PAW 12-3V. It looks cool and it never needs a battery change.

I have the Casio PAW 1200-1V. Solar power was a big factor for me, and it works invisibly ... don't have to think about how it is charged. Alarm is loud enough but doesn't continue very long. It has multiple alarms if this is a problem. Barometer is best checked in the morning to get an overnight trend (trend graph is very usable with this device). Thermometer is accurate after it has been off my wrist 15-20 minutes. Auto-time synchronization works ok but can be finicky if indoors.

I'd recommend this watch to anyone looking for a device like this, or maybe look at the newer versions that are a bit slimmer. This watch is large, but smaller than similar watches.

johnny quest
10-05-2007, 16:26
im sorry to hear the highgear teardrop hasnt been up to snuff. i just got one. oh well....

Lucky Dog
10-05-2007, 20:36
I have the casio pathfinder 1300 and so far i love it, no problems at all.

Rocketman
10-06-2007, 11:07
I am on my second "wearing" HighGear watch, having bought them for under $70 from SteepAndCheap.com.

The first watch lasted well for over a year. It had only seen duty on bicycle trips in the midwest, but it is fun gear to have and has that little weather forecast icon that works OK for low pressure induced rains.

When I carried it on the AT from Georgia north, it was doing an excellent job of telling altitude for navigational purposes, and I would reset it daily at known points of elevation from the guidebook.

I exited to resupply and pick up mail drop at Gatlinburg and watched the altitude fall as the pickup truck careened down the highway. On the way back up to the trailhead, the Altitude function wasn't working and many of the watch functions related to anything barometric stopped working all together. New fresh batteries failed to reset it to work.

HighGear replaced it for me, exchanging the old one for a new one and forwarding the new one uptrail for pickup in Erwin, TN. :)

The replacement appears to drift way off altitude/barometer calibration much more than the old one. One of the four buttons appears to have a mechanical obstruction that limits movement, but it still manages to function.

I have another HighGear watch, different model, still in box. I was unable to get this one to correctly read both the altitude and barometric pressure from the NWS station in my town. The other two watches were capable of correct readings of both altitude and barometric pressure.

There may be good reason to pay more money for one of these combination altimeter/barometer/compass watches. Think about it. :-?

-SEEKER-
10-06-2007, 11:25
Just saw this at Sierra Trading Post. I know nothing about it .
www.sierratradingpost.com (http://WWW.sierratradingpost.com) item #97044

faarside
10-07-2007, 13:12
I "keep it on the cheap" :rolleyes: and use a Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch on my wrist, and have a Silva Tech4 Time/Temp/Altimeter Watch on my pack.

Sometime I would like something similar to a Suunto Vector Wristop Computer, but do not feel I need to invest in anything too pricey, as the stuff I use above works fine for me.

Outlaw
10-07-2007, 13:26
I "keep it on the cheap" :rolleyes: and use a Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch on my wrist,
I had the same watch... mine ate batteries like they were grapes.:eek:

faarside
10-07-2007, 13:39
I had the same watch... mine ate batteries like they were grapes.:eek:

Hmmm... Sorry to hear that. The first Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch I bought from Campmor ran for two years on the included battery with "limited" compass use and regular alarm use. Unfortunately, I lost the watch after replacing the wrist strap :mad:

My current, and second Timex is still going on the included battery after 18 months. Maybe you had a lemon? I like these because they are cheap enough to replace when they get scratched-up and/or otherwise damaged.

Jim Adams
10-07-2007, 21:33
I've used my HighGear for about 11 months and have had no problems with it. Bought it on SteepNcheap for $39.00. I really like it and just saw one on SnC today for a good price.

geek

Outlaw
10-07-2007, 22:04
Hmmm... Sorry to hear that. The first Timex Expedition Digital Compass Watch I bought from Campmor ran for two years on the included battery with "limited" compass use and regular alarm use. Unfortunately, I lost the watch after replacing the wrist strap :mad:

My current, and second Timex is still going on the included battery after 18 months. Maybe you had a lemon? I like these because they are cheap enough to replace when they get scratched-up and/or otherwise damaged.

I bought mine at Campmor also. Thankfully, they have a pretty liberal return policy, 'cause that is what I did. :cool:

Quoddy
10-08-2007, 08:02
I broke down and bought a Suunto Observer about six months ago. I find I use the altimeter so much during hikes that I just leave that function showing. As was already mentioned, the temperature function doesn't really work accurately unless it's off your wrist. The compass function is quite handy while hiking, too.

saimyoji
10-08-2007, 08:08
im sorry to hear the highgear teardrop hasnt been up to snuff. i just got one. oh well....

I've had mine for two years now, use the backlight, alarm and temperature regularly. In fact I use it as a pocket watch even when I'm not hiking. Haven't had to replace the batteries yet. I love it.

johnny quest
10-08-2007, 08:10
thats good to hear. i cant wearing watches or any kind of jewelry because of a religious conviction so i really liked the design of the teardrop. only had mine since aug but use it almost daily and it seems ok.

Furlough
10-08-2007, 10:46
I have used the Sliva Tech4O for a bit over a year now. But it does not have a themometer option. The digital compass works well, the backlight is a bit weak.

<A href="http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cspoutdoors_1965_53854387" target=_blank>http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cspoutdoors_1965_53893501

Furlough

The Old Fhart
10-08-2007, 14:32
Jazilla-"Has anyone tried the watches by casio. I am looking at a Casio Pathfinder PAW 12-3V. It looks cool and it never needs a battery change."I have been using Casio watches for many years and replace them when they are so beat up that I have trouble reading the display. The PAL-200 model I'm using now is a few years old with baro/alt/trend/thermo/alarm, etc., functions and works great. It is about the same size as a regular watch and doesn't look like you have a portable TV strapped to your wrist. The altimeter function displays up to 13,200ft. so when I did the JMT in 1996 and was approaching Mt. Whitney, I had to 'lie' to the watch I had then and at 10,000 feet set it to 0 (zero) and at 14,496ft. on Whitney, it displayed about 4,496ft.. I'd recommend any Casio sports/altimeter watch and there are a lot of models out there with so real deals on Ebay.