PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Taco Burritos

sarbar
05-23-2007, 15:07
This is from my blog, and I had Mugs (a hiking buddy) in my thoughts as I worked on it. Minus the cheese, this would be vegan.

I love burritos, and often make them my dinner on the trail. My friend Ldyblade was working on an idea on our last trip together, and it looked good so I made up my own version of it.

High protein, easy to carry and simple to make.

I had run out of salsa for the trail, so I put a batch on the dehydrator. I put 16 ounces of salsa, on a lined tray, smoothed out with a spatula so it was an even thickness. Dried at 135* till dry (this will become salsa "leather", similar to fruit leather. You want dry all over, with no sticky spots. It may be pliable, but be sure to test it all over.) I prefer after drying to break it up in a blender, but you don't have to.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/salsa.jpg

Trail Burritos:

In a quart freezer bag put:
1 cup instant rice of choice

In a second bag put:
1/4 cup dry Fantastic Foods Taco Filling mix
(I used a heavy duty sandwich bag for this)

Also take:
2 Tbl to 1/2 cup of dried salsa, in a snack ziploc bag
2 tortillas
1 ounce cheese, if desired

In camp add 1 cup hot water to the rice bag, stir and seal. Add 1/2 cup hot water to the taco mix, stir well and seal. Put both bags into a cozy for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add a 1:1 ratio of warm water to the salsa, seal the bag and knead gently. Let sit.

Top the tortillas with rice, taco mix, salsa and cheese.
Makes 2 burritos.
This would also make a great Taco Bowl as well (no tortillas). To do that, cut the rice bag down halfway, forming a bowl. Top as noted and enjoyed. Less messy that way!
The taco mix contains 12 grams of protein and 4 grams fiber per 1/4 cup dry. That is quite the kick for hikers.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/burrito.jpg

~Sarah

atraildreamer
05-23-2007, 15:13
You are amazing! :sun

I'm getting hungry just reading this post. :p

Going to rush homme and try it out! :banana

Waiting for the new book! :rolleyes:

Nightwalker
05-23-2007, 15:16
Sarah, you're a real trail resource. It's a good thing to have you here. :sun

bigcranky
05-23-2007, 22:06
Sarah,

Two things: 1) I like to mix the FF taco filling in equal parts with the FF instant refried beans. Never tried rice, but it should be good. 2) When you put your bag with the filling in the cozy, put the tortillas inside the cozy, too. They'll warm up and become pliable and soft and delicious. This is one of my favorite trail meals.

--Ken

fiddlehead
05-23-2007, 22:15
I like to make black beans, pretty spicy, cook them a little dry and then put them in my dehydrator. On trail, rehyrate them a little (still keep them a little dry) and add cheese and tortilla and salsa mix from taco bell (small packets) and you have a meal. (well if you eat a few of them)

Tha Wookie
05-23-2007, 22:27
Let's be honest here. The FF taco mix is incredible. However, so too will your farts be afterwards.

Two words of advice: 1) don't share a tent with someone who eats it (tarp it it you must) 2) don't get stuck behind them on the trail either.

sarbar
05-23-2007, 23:25
Let's be honest here. The FF taco mix is incredible. However, so too will your farts be afterwards.

Two words of advice: 1) don't share a tent with someone who eats it (tarp it it you must) 2) don't get stuck behind them on the trail either.
We call that "Chili Coughs" :eek:

sarbar
05-23-2007, 23:26
Sarah,

Two things: 1) I like to mix the FF taco filling in equal parts with the FF instant refried beans. Never tried rice, but it should be good. 2) When you put your bag with the filling in the cozy, put the tortillas inside the cozy, too. They'll warm up and become pliable and soft and delicious. This is one of my favorite trail meals.

--Ken
Ken,
That is what my friend Ldyblade does with hers, she loves the beans added. Bet it would be good with everything combined :)