PDA

View Full Version : hard core '07

mountain squid
05-24-2007, 12:02
Well, another Hard Core has come and gone. A great big THANK-YOU to all who participated.

There were approx 120 people who joined together in this endeavor (26 Club members and about 94 from the hiker community). Baltimore Jack (100 hours) and Gaia (50 hours) each received an AT Maintainer TN Eastman patch for their accrued hours <insert clapping smiley>.

The Rock Crew (18 hikers expertly led by Camo) completed about 4000’ of trail. We dug through thick duff, numerous trees and roots and removed enormous boulders. GO ROCK CREW!!!

I think the other 75 or so hikers completed about 300’ of trail. I don’t know...I think they were playing frisbee or cards or something. I don’t know...bunch of slackers...

:rolleyes: Hmmmm, actually...it was the other way around. The Rock Crew dug through thick duff, etc and completed approx 300’ of trail on the north side of Unaka Mtn. It is a night and day difference from the rhododendrons that were once there. There is still alot to complete. Konnarock will be working up there soon.

The other crew of 75 or so was working near Cherry Gap Shelter. They completed approx 4000’ of trail (that is ALOT of trail:)) and opened two new relocations with freshly painted white blazes <insert painting smiley> totaling 3150'. One new opened relocation is several hundred feet south of Cherry Gap Shelter and the other is about a quarter mile north of Cherry Gap Shelter.

Once again, THANK-YOU to everyone involved. The AT wouldn't exist without the VOLUNTEER effort. Hope to see everyone next year and maybe pass out some more patches...VOLUNTEER...VOLUNTEER...

Here are a few pictures. There are more in 'My Gallery' (it may take a while to get them uploaded and sorry :o if I mislabel them).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just a Hiker
05-24-2007, 12:26
Squid, Thanks for what you and the others have done this year. I can't wait to see what you guys did. My patch I got in 2002 is one of my prized possessions, so I know what this means to all. I promise to be there next year. Thank You!

Just Jim

D'Artagnan
05-24-2007, 12:26
THANK YOU for all the hard work! It is very much appreciated.

Uncle Silly
05-24-2007, 14:35
I gotta say, Hard Core was as much fun as Trail Days itself. Hikers, this is a great opportunity to give back to the trail -- take advantage of it next year!

Trail Yeti
05-24-2007, 14:39
Squid,
it was great working with ya! I can't wait until next year!
oh and Jack, Blister, kritter etc etc....thanks for the spaghetti...it was yummy!

Footslogger
05-24-2007, 14:44
Really hated to miss it this year. Would have been 4 in a row !!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

We'll be there next year !!

'Slogger

Lion King
05-24-2007, 14:47
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StarLyte
05-24-2007, 15:12
I can't wait to see the new Trail !

I'm bowing to ya guys :banana

Sleepy the Arab
05-24-2007, 19:33
Really hated to miss it this year. Would have been 4 in a row !!

Hey, it would have been four for me too! I missed it this year though for purely selfish reasons.

I'll be back next year.

Honey Dew
05-27-2007, 23:40
I wouldn't trade the muscular pain I felt the next day for anything. I worked with an amazing bunch of guys on the Rock Crew. Kudos to all of you for your hard work and for making me not feel like a "girl". I suppose swinging an 8 pound sledgehammer to break rocks for 6 hours got me out of the whole "you crush rocks like a girl" thing. Anyways, it was a pleasure and I can't wait til next year! :sun

Blister
06-02-2007, 12:19
I wouldn't trade the muscular pain I felt the next day for anything. I worked with an amazing bunch of guys on the Rock Crew. Kudos to all of you for your hard work and for making me not feel like a "girl". I suppose swinging an 8 pound sledgehammer to break rocks for 6 hours got me out of the whole "you crush rocks like a girl" thing. Anyways, it was a pleasure and I can't wait til next year! :sun

AAHHH, we have another that has crossed over! Hope your trip home went well. Till we all meet again!

mountain squid
06-17-2007, 17:45
Thanks to <VOLUNTEER> Konnarock Crew <VOLUNTEER> a few hundred more feet of trail will be finished on Unaka Mountain. (Rock Crew ;) from Hard Core need not worry...there are still plenty of rocks to dig up:).)

I'll upload some pictures to 'My Gallery' and, once again, sorry if I mislabel them:o...

For more info on Konnarock click here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.898405/k.19D5/Konnarock_Trail_Crew.htm. If you need a way to spend a vacation this year <VOLUNTEER>...

Hope everyone has a great summer:sun and see you on the trail,
mt squid