PDA

View Full Version : UL Baking

sarbar
05-24-2007, 12:08
On my blog from today: (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=1529580)

Have you ever wished you could have a hot biscuit or muffin in the morning? But not carry a ton of weight? Or a huge pot? You can!

I have been fascinated by the Bakepacker for a couple years, but the problem is this: even with the light version they sell, it won't fit my tiny pans. You need a pan that is at least 6" across (which would be around a 1.5 L pot). I use a MSR Titan Ti Kettle, which is .85 L and is not even 5" across the top. And truth be told, I am not about to start carrying heavier and larger pans for this purpose. So I started looking around on the internet and came across this site from a couple years ago, where a hiker described his version of making a UL baker. I thought to myself "could I make one that was smaller? Would it work?".

I wandered around the house looking for what I could use to make it, and noticed I had a brand new windscreen from AntiGravityGear I hadn't used. I smoothed it out, and layed my kettle on top. I traced the shape, then using scissors, cut it out. I then trimmed it down a bit so that it would fit in my pot. You want it so you can drop it in, maybe 1/4" smaller than your pot inside.

There are many materials you could use, one being my idea, another would be a disposable aluminum cookie tray from the grocery store.

Then, using a ruler, I traced a grid of 1/2" squares on it. I used a tiny phillips head screwdriver to do this. All I had to do was gently drag the screwdriver on the metal to leave a light line. You want one that is small, such as for jewelry work. A small punch would work as well.

Now, I found a scrap piece of wood. I set my circle on top of the wood. Using the screwdriver I punched a hole carefully at the corner of each square on the grid I had traced. I then went and punched a hole in the center of each grid.

I then cut another piece of the metal 14" long and 1" wide. It can be as long as you wish. This is what sits at the bottom of the pan, and is spiraled, to hold the circle up.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/baker.jpg

The baker in the pot:

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/baker2.jpg

When ready to get baking, put the spiral in the pan. Put water in till almost to the top of the spiral. Top with the circle. Next to the pot is my bag, ready with biscuit mix.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/baker3.jpg

Biscuit mix place in pan. You can prep the mix in the bag, then arrange the bag, so that opening is at the top. Do not seal. You can use freezer bags or small oven bags for this. I used a sandwich bag here, but I'd not recommend that as they are more fragile.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/baker4.jpg

I put the pan on my Primus canister stove and brought it to a boil. As soon it was boiling, I hit the timer for 15 minutes, and lowered my stove to where it was barely burning. With the low amount of water in the pan, it continues to gently simmer/boil and conserves fuel use. This would also work fine with an alcohol stove and 1 ounce of fuel. When the time was up, I turned the stove off and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Supposedly, they say on the Bakepacker website to not open the pan while cooking raised items (biscuits, cakes, etc) as the cold air can cause the items to fail and flop.

And did it work? Quite yes, it did! While it doesn't get browned, it was perfectly cooked thru. Moist and tender as well! Yum! It made enough for 1 person.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/baker5.jpg

For my trial recipe I used Bisquick mix. The Betty Crocker mixes for muffins (http://www.bettycrocker.com/Products/Muffins/muffins.htm)
that call for just water work well also. Split the pouch in half, into two quart freezer bags.

I put:
1/4 cup + 2 Tbl Bisquick mix
2 Tbl water
In the bag and sealed it, then I mixed it by kneading the bag. I then opened up the bag and put it in the pot.

It is said that you can put paper muffin liners in the bags, and bake it that way, giving you a nice clean muffin/biscuit.

From now on, I will use a quart freezer bag, and double my biscuit recipe so there is enough for both Ford and I. Half a bag of BC muffin mixes would be perfect for 2 people.

Basically, if you can bake it in a Bakepacker, you can do it in this. Just cut your portions in half. 15 minutes seem perfect for cooking time, along with a 5 minute rest.

Have fun!

~Sarah

Outlaw
05-24-2007, 13:27
Sarah, I really like your DIY bakepacker design. The coil of sheet metal is a great idea for supporting the now raised cooking surface.

I also use a pot that is too small to fit the ultralight model (I use a K-Mart grease pot), so what I did was remove the outer metal ring or band on the bakepacker and, using needle nose pliers, bent the outer fins to allow the bakepacker to now fit neatly inside my grease pot. I think the I.D. of my grease pot is 5-1/8" but don't quote me on that.

Mammoth
05-24-2007, 14:39
That's awesome. I've been experimenting with DIY bakepackers as well, but this design beats all of mine by far. I'll make one for sure, thanks for sharing the instructions with great photos!

sarbar
05-24-2007, 15:03
I forgot to add, it comes in at 1/4 of an ounce. :D

Outlaw
05-25-2007, 08:28
I forgot to add, it comes in at 1/4 of an ounce. :D

Okay, Sarah, you sold me! :D

Grinder
05-25-2007, 09:07
This is great stuff!!

As an aside, the minibull site has a video of this process and IIRC some more details on fabrication of the needed stuff.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/vidbaking.htm

Miles of smiles
Tom

Critterman
05-25-2007, 19:08
This is great stuff!!

As an aside, the minibull site has a video of this process and IIRC some more details on fabrication of the needed stuff.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/vidbaking.htm

Miles of smiles
Tom

Great video. That guy sounds just like Red Green from the old Red Green show. I think he shot it at the possum lodge too.

headchange4u
05-26-2007, 08:42
That's frikkin' awsome Sabar.

I have been trying to make a baking setup using a large Fosters can because I have had the same problem as you; none of the Bakepakers will work with my Evernew .9L pot.

Your method looks like it works great and is super light. I am going to make me a setup like that this weekend. I will let you know how it works.

stormin norman
06-02-2007, 21:40
This is good stuff. I just tried it out and made a store bought white cake mix with powdered egg mix and water and it worked perfect. I used aproximately 1/4 of the mix and made it in a 4 3/4" x 1 3/8 " mini pot pie pan. After it was cooled I dusted it with confectioners sugar for an extra treat. It was firm and tasted great. Next try will be with aluminum mini muffin liners and chocolate cake mix. Thanks for letting us in on your secret.

Dean

littlelaurel59
06-03-2007, 21:17
WOW!!! I must try it. To think of freshly baked (steamed?) wild blueberry muffins in summer.

headchange4u
06-04-2007, 11:05
I wonder if adding a foil "cap" on top of the item you are baking would help to brown the it?

sarbar
06-04-2007, 22:59
Btw I made a birthday cake for my friend Ldyblade yesterday evening on a 4 day trip :) She was very excited :D
I will post photos in the morning!

sarbar
06-05-2007, 10:56
What I did was use one of the Betty Crocker Warm Delight microwave cake mixes for the cake. It takes 1/4 cup of water. I mixed it up in a heavy duty sandwich bag (Ziploc or Glad!) and then put it into my Fauxbaker.
I did it for around 15 minutes, then let it sit for a couple minutes.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/ER24.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/ER25.jpg

The cake was very good. It seems that the BC mixes are the perfect size for the 4" Fauxbaker :D

Blade
06-06-2007, 22:02
Your post inspired me to try baking in my SP700. I use a spiral support cut from a turkey pan like your design, but instead of a flat platform I've been experimenting with Reynold "fun shapes" baking cups directly on the support.

These are larger than a cupcake cup (hold more) and they come in a nifty star shape. Very light and they fit nicely in my Sp 700 mug with a little persuasion.

I wonder if adding a foil "cap" on top of the item you are baking would help to brown the it?

Yes! I've found that leaving the top open leads to a soggy muffin top (although the rest is cooked), but if I cover it lightly with an inverted foil cupcake cup it will actually brown and be fully cooked.

I originally tried a flat platform with a ziplock bag, but found that the SP700 is so narrow that the bag touches the side of the pot and melts the plastic ... not very appetizing.

I'm looking forward to a warm muffin on a couple mornings during my next hike.

headchange4u
06-07-2007, 10:02
I just tried my first experiment with the UL baker. It worked great!!

I make 1/2 a pack of Jiffy Blueberry Muffin mix. I should have used 1/3 a pack because it got so large that it lifted the lid off my Evernew .9L pot. I put the contents in a oven bag that I cut in half.

Blade,

I also had a problem with the plastic getting burned from touching the sides of the pot. It was only 2 small quater sized spots that burned. The muffin "loaf" was still delicious.

I am also looking to find some sort of container to put inside the pot to keep the bags from touching the sides. I found some 5" tart pie tins on the internet but they are only a little over an inch deep and I don't think that will be tall enough.

I had also thought about tring to use some of that silicone bakeware I see at Walmart. It could pull double duty as a bowl to eat out of.

sarbar
06-07-2007, 11:48
I am thinking the silicone bakeware items would work well. I need to go get one today if I have time, and try it this weekend!

budforester
06-07-2007, 12:28
Sarah

Thanks for bringing me back to steam- baking. My Bakepacker has stayed home on solo trips because of size and weight. I experimented with the Bakepacker but went back to pancakes.

budforester
06-07-2007, 12:35
[quote=Blade;369653]
Yes! I've found that leaving the top open leads to a soggy muffin top (although the rest is cooked), but if I cover it lightly with an inverted foil cupcake cup it will actually brown and be fully cooked.

Blade

I tried it with a hood but I couldn't get browning; did you do something special to the dough; did you use some kind of microwave- mix with special formulation for browning? I would much enjoy hot biscuits or other baked goods from my solo cookset.

Pringles
06-07-2007, 21:15
You might consider adding a little garlic and some cheese to Sarbar's original recipe for a Red Lobster-ish biscuit. Maybe some parsley?

I took her idea and played a bit. I didn't have a disposable cookie sheet, but I did have a small can of tuna. I used the kind that comes with mayo and pickle relish and the little plastic bowl holding the whole thing together. It's a pretty small can. I took out the tuna, washed the can, and then drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of the can, maybe a dozen. I used my dremel to remove any sharp edges. I put it in my pot, with the side with the holes up. I'm not positive what size the pot is, but it's kind of narrow and holds a bit over 2 cups of water. I poured water in to cover the top of the can, and then a bit more. Then I put the bag of muffin mix in, and baked. Or boiled. At any rate, it worked really well.

Making a small sized Bakepacker is a great idea! Thanks for sharing with us!

Pringles

Blade
06-07-2007, 22:29
Blade

I tried it with a hood but I couldn't get browning; did you do something special to the dough; did you use some kind of microwave- mix with special formulation for browning? I would much enjoy hot biscuits or other baked goods from my solo cookset.

I used "Martha White Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin Mix - just add milk". About 1/6 of a pack (they claimed 6 servings ...) Mixed this up in a ziplock & put it in a Reynolds fun shape baking cup, then put a Reynold Foil Baking Cup (cupcake cup) over the top.

Baked it for 12 minutes, then left the pot alone for another 2-3 minutes before lifting the lid. Top was not totally golden brown, but it definitely was partially browned!

I cheated a little by using 1/2% milk ... on the trail I'd use powdered milk ... but the result was very good!

headchange4u
06-08-2007, 08:34
You might consider adding a little garlic and some cheese to Sarbar's original recipe for a Red Lobster-ish biscuit. Maybe some parsley?

Pringles

Most goceries sell packs of garlic cheese biscuit mix that tatses just like the Red Lobster biscuits. It's really good and it only cost like $1 a pack and would probably make 2-3 servings using the steam bake method. I can't remember the brand but I have some at home and I will check when I get home tonight. It's in a mostly yellow package. They also make honey biscuit mix that I used last night with my UL baker.

happy_trails_01
01-29-2009, 14:08
Bumping to the top. Any other innovations to this process? Thanks!

sarbar
01-29-2009, 14:54
Shoot, I know I posted doing eggs and chocolate lava cakes in the past year - in silicone baking cups/steaming them :)

GeneralLee10
01-30-2009, 00:40
I made something close to what you have made but I used the Turkey stand out of one of the Big deep fryers. I cut it to size and left 4-1" tabs to bend over for feet/stands. Used a PanSaver 2qt size bag (made for cooking in). Works like a charm I used the Banana Bread Muffin mix Betty Crocker kind just add water. It worked very good and Muffin was nice and moist so what the top is a little bit soggy. I can tell you this very cool idea and THANK YOU for sharing it with us. Here is a pic of it if care to look. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/6/7/9/dsc00073_thumb.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/6/7/9/dsc00072_thumb.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/6/7/9/dsc00068_thumb.jpg

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2009, 00:57
Nested Pots a few years ago had only one common lid. Put three pebbles in between the two pots. this should raise the center pot up a little and fill the gap with some water. A double boiler! Bring to a boil, put the mix in and follow directions and put a lid on it. Bakes just about anything I thought. Because its a smaller quantity - the time should be the same even though you are at a lower temperature.

I tried this on the trail in a jam and it worked.