PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering and Baltimore Jack

Hikerhead
09-25-2003, 20:31
I just got done scanning the list of people doing presentations, workshops ect at this year's Gathering...

Hoping to see Baltimore Jack's name listed, I was disappointed.

I thought BJ did a fine job on his presentation at last year's Gathering, "20 questions for Baltimore Jack". It was very informative, intertaining and well thought out.

However, knowing his lecture fee has probably increased some since last year, I understand. Maybe there just wasn't enough in the kitty.

Will there be "Bill Bryson is a Candy Arse" shirts for sale this year?

Lone Wolf
09-26-2003, 01:01
The Gathering. A self backpatters convention. Egos galore.

Skeemer
09-26-2003, 07:39
I agree if Baltimore Jack is not speaking at the Gathering he will be missed.

As far as ego's go...I thought BJ was "less full of himself" than some of the others. I was lucky enough to run into him on the Trail in Harpers Ferry last year and attended his workshop at the Gathering. My impression was...a genuinely credible individual that loves to hike the AT and share his interest and opinions with others. His posts/replies here appear to me to be some of the most thought out. I don't know what they pay some of the others to talk there but he should be at least as well compensated. BTW, he has offered his summary write up on town stops to anyone who was interested...very much appreciated.

chris
09-26-2003, 08:39
The presenters that I saw law year all had their egos firmly under control. The people with raging egos were in the audience.

Youngblood
09-26-2003, 09:56
Originally posted by L. Wolf
The Gathering. A self backpatters convention. Egos galore.

"backpatters" ... hmmm, I like that. Thanks, Lone Wolf, for putting a little humor in.

Youngblood

warren doyle
09-26-2003, 12:03
Very, very few people get compensated for sharing their experiences at the Gathering. This is a traditional policy of ALDHA and one of the main reasons why the weekend only costs $10 - the same price as the first one in 1982. The world's organizations can learn a great deal from ALDHA.

foodbag
09-30-2003, 22:17
I don't know "Jack" about Baltimore Jack but I do know that he makes a hell of a green salad (at Kincorra Hostel in 1999). What a great salad, I ate about 5 pounds worth. For that alone he should be immortalized! Oh, and he is impossible to beat at Trivial Pursuit!

icemanat95
10-03-2003, 11:35
He's on the latest schedule, go and look.

There are mountainous egos in every organization. Aldha is no worse than any other and a darned sight better than many.

icemanat95
10-07-2003, 12:46
Jack is doing his 20 Questions thing on Sunday afternoon.

Jack Tarlin
10-10-2003, 08:28
1. Would have responded to this earlier but I only saw it just now.
2. I do not now, nor have I ever had a "lecture fee"for speaking at the Gathering or anywhere else. I'm sorry about the post that suggested that I do; it seemingly implied that I wasn't speaking at this year's Gathering because I wsn't getting paid to do so, or wasn't getting paid enough. This is nonsense.
3. I expect to be giving a presentation for prospective thru-hikers on Sunday afternoon, and look forward to seeing manyof you there.
4. Within the next few weeks, I'll be updating my annual post on Resupply and Lodging on the A.T. for 2004; I've received some excellent feedback for the last few years on this information, and there are several changes and additions for next year.
5. Whether you're attending the Gathering or not, I'm available at any time to help any prospective hiker with any problems or questions; I won't be thru-hiking next year so I expect to have more time this fall, winter, and spring; I should be here at Whiteblaze quite a bit, or you can always reach me some other way.
6. Oh. One last thing.....summitted Katahdin at 10AM yesterday (the 9th) in perfect weather; am now a happily RETIRED A.T. thru-hiker, and looking forward to other things.

Dirtyoldman
10-11-2003, 03:32
congrats on the summit jack - planning to sit around fat dumb and happy for awhile? :cool:

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2003, 13:57
Happy? Yes, absolutely.
Fat? No, not yet. Ask again in a month.
Dumb? Only sometimes.

Hikerhead
10-14-2003, 14:10
Jack, I knew that you didn't and never would accept a fee to speak to a group of your friends and fellow hikers. I said that tonge in cheek but I guess it came across as if I was being serious.

Congrats or your completion of this years hike.

I'll believe your retired when that raggy ol' sleeveless black shirt starts hanging up at the Hikers Museum.

Good luck to you.

Trail Dog
10-15-2003, 14:52
No fee? Thats odd, jack charged me ten bucks to sit next to him around the camp fire at Billville during the gathering. What was that about? i want my money back...

About the backpatters thing, well yeah it sure seemed like it, but jack wasn't at all like that. a few hours before his gig at the gathering he was sitting by the camp fire asking for peoples opinions and advice on things to include in his speach/ Q&A.

Retired? Not jack- its in his blood, like it is with most of us here, but honestly BJ, find someplace else to walk, your wearing a hole in the trail. HOw bout the PCT for the next 8 years followed by 8 years of the CDT? that should keep you busy.

Sly
02-04-2012, 14:30
Very, very few people get compensated for sharing their experiences at the Gathering. This is a traditional policy of ALDHA and one of the main reasons why the weekend only costs $10 - the same price as the first one in 1982. The world's organizations can learn a great deal from ALDHA.

It took nearly 30 years but, yes the fees have gone up.

As a matter of fact, starting in 2012, they'll doubled to $20 but, it's said, depending on the actual costs of the Gathering, a portion may be returned in one way or another. The increase isn't only a result of increased costs in paying speakers (although there is some) but more the fact that schools want to be compensated to use their facilities, as well as campsites, porta-potties, etc.

Still a bargain when you consider the rate of inflation, where $10.00 in 1983 had the same buying power as $22.46 in 2011.