PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Ctr, VT to Hanover late July

wilconow
05-24-2007, 15:11
I'm thinking about doing this section in the last week of july/first of august.

I know I'll run into a bunch of thrus coming in both directions. that's fine

Any suggestions for a shuttle from Hanover? I would prefer to leave my car there and get a shuttle to Manchester Ctr.

Will it probably be high around 80, low around 60?

Bugs aren't worse than normal that time of year up there, right?

Any other comments?

Thanks.

Ender
05-24-2007, 15:32
In July and August, expect that temps can go higher, especially August. I've been in Maine in July with temps in the mid 90's*. And of course, up in the mountains, the temps can drop at night to well below 60*, sometimes to the low 40's*.

rafe
05-24-2007, 19:17
It was miserably hot when I did that section in August 2002. 95 degrees in the valleys, maybe a few degrees cooler on the ridges. I was thankful for the rain when it came.

Just a Hiker
05-24-2007, 19:48
Hey there Wilconow! That's a great section for a section hike. However, Its been pretty damn hot the past few years during that time of year! Also, the trail will be pretty crowded, so bring a tent. Water shouldn't be an issue and there will be a ton of trail magic. Have fun!

Just Jim

Kerosene
05-24-2007, 22:21
Look at Page 8 of The AT Shuttle List (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_May%2015_2007.pdf). I've use Andy Peterson, who was great, but it says he only shuttles down to Killington.

Tin Man
05-25-2007, 06:50
From the AT Shuttle List, we have used Dot and Ronna who are both very friendly and helpful. Dot has thru-hiked the AT. Ronna shuttled us for the same section you have planned. I suggest calling them now as they do get busy.

wilconow
06-20-2007, 22:33
Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I was originally planning to do this late July/early Aug but some things have changed and now I would like to do it earlier. Is there any reason I should not do it the first week of July? Would there be significantly less mud, bugs, people in late July? I'm thinking it doesn't matter but I'm just making sure

Thanks!

sly dog
06-21-2007, 09:41
Good luck trying to find any overnite parking in hanover and security at DOC are idiots. I parked at a local hospital parking lot and had a local shuttle me.

wilconow
06-21-2007, 09:54
Good luck trying to find any overnite parking in hanover and security at DOC are idiots. I parked at a local hospital parking lot and had a local shuttle me.

I'm most likely going to stay at StrayCat's hostel and he's going to shuttle me. He said there's a big parking lot at Dartmouth where I can leave my car.

wilconow
07-09-2007, 14:50
Just got back from this hike. StrayCat's shuttle and hostel worked out great. Photos are up in my gallery.