PDA

View Full Version : Longer Long Underwear

Beegfut
09-25-2003, 23:40
I'm in the market for a new set of polys. My current set of poly longs doesn't cover the small of my back very well. I can't seem to find one manufacturer that even claims to offer a top with an extra long tail or pants with extra length in the crotch. The nearest claim seems to be that the top and/or botton is more stretchable. Any suggestions besides going back to the Union Suit?

dionalaniz
09-26-2003, 00:07
www.beyondfleece.com - they will make you custom fitted fleece. You might check them out. I ordered a pair of soft-shell fleece pants from them and they're fantastic. It's amazing putting on a pair of pant perfectly tailored to your body specifications.

chris
09-26-2003, 08:56
The Mountain Equipment Co-op (www.mec.ca) has good long underwear (including modern incarnations of the union suit) that I use. I am 6'4", but have longer legs and a shorter upper body that the height would indicate. The size large pants are not long enough, but the large pull over fits me okay. I recently got a size medium, pseudo softshell-thermal top combo for winter hiking that fits well. Most of their cold weather tops are cut a bit longer so as to keep the kidneys and back covered. Of course, you'll have to mail order it or go to Canada to get stuff from them, but their prices are very good and you get to pay with Canadian pesos, which makes things doubly cheap.

Beegfut
09-26-2003, 22:06
Thanks. I was kidding about the Union Suit but now I'm thinking that it makes the most sense for winter day hikes or camping. In weather cold enought to wear mid-weight polys, I can't recall ever taking off the tops or bottoms during the trip. So why buy two pieces when a one-piece suit would work better?

chris
09-29-2003, 09:33
On the money.

kank
09-30-2003, 12:36
I think you can find tops with long tails from cycling clothes companies. You may have already looked, but Ibex (http://www.ibexwear.com/) (warning: annoying Flash-only site) makes cycling stuff and they use wool for a lot of it (they should be updating their online catalog around October 7). They've got some wool shirts with a long tail for cyclists. Most are short sleeve, but the Asturias is long sleeve. That shirt looks pretty great, but it does have pockets in the back (wouldn't be useful with a pack on your back) and costs $130 (!!). I'm looking for a wool shirt to use for hiking and cycling (road only as I just haven't figured out why people bother with bikes on trails), so if I find anything promising I"ll let you know.

While there are plenty of bad things about the internet, I think one of the cool things about it is that it can help formerly difficult localized businesses, such as custom sewing, make a bit of a comeback. Due to the realities of mass-produced goods, there are many people that simply can't buy clothes that fit. Now, there are quite a few businesses online that make custom apparel, packs, tents, etc. Many of these were already established long before the internet, but some of them were made possible only through the internet and others have been more successful because of it. Fitting can be difficult across the internet, but a few measurements and sometimes a few digital pictures usually solve that problem. There's still nothing like having someone local to talk to in person about your needs, but some people don't mind traveling a bit to get the custom gear they want. If some of your satisfied customers post on BBS boards like this, you'll often find yourself with more work than you can handle. Ask Dan McHale (http://www.mchalepacks.com/) how long his waiting list is :). I think it's great being able to support a small personal or family business and receive clothing or gear made to your exact needs and specifications. We've been around mass-produced goods so long that we find it unimaginable that something fits us exactly. Oops, sorry if I've rambled too far off-topic.

whcobbs
10-21-2003, 13:04
Assuming you meant polypropylene, check out TheUnderwearGuys.com. Seconds dirt cheap ($8 2002) and the tails on the top were long enough for biking.

Walt

Beegfut
10-21-2003, 22:25
I ordered a size Large union suit from Mtn Equipment Coop $CAN 65.00. It's well made and has a great design - a zipper with 3 pulls runs from the neck down to the crotch and up the other side to about the small of the back. No need for a drop down flap - th suit splits apart in the middle. The multiple zipper pulls allow for infinite combinations of openings. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in a tall size and it turns out that my torso is a tad too long. I can get into the suit but it's tight in the crotch. Tight enough that I would want to be wearing a pair of briefs to prevent my equipment from getting snagged in the zipper.

karensioux
10-22-2003, 18:08
Boy, I hate to admit this but I learned a lesson about union suits and a womens body and peeing just LAST night! Squatting to pee in a union suit just does NOT work...........not for my anatomy anyway. I peed all over myself at 4 in the morning in the sleet and sideways wind.........I am tossing the union suit as we speak.
Ksue

karensioux
10-23-2003, 12:22
I am going to check this out. Never had a problem squatting before but glad I found out before I hit the AT.
thanks again
K

sdoownek
10-23-2003, 16:55
My sister has, according to her, perfected peeing standing up. http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html

karensioux
10-23-2003, 17:05
Maybe it's my body but peeing standing up doesnt work........I have been to that site before and practiced in the shower........it's not gonna happen. I can't get a straight stream out..........must be genetic..........I can't spit very well either! Is this too much info??? :-)
K

sdoownek
10-23-2003, 17:13
I thought it was too much info for me to post that in the first place....Hell, I've got a hose.

In any case, my sister says to spread more. I did not, however, ask if that just referred to your legs, or what.

That would be too much info.

karensioux
10-23-2003, 17:17
hmmmm.........well, now I am curious if I CAN do this.......I've tried before .......ok, spread more..........I'll give it a try. This certainly would be handy while hiking and it would be wonderful not to have to take the pack off!
K